PDA

View Full Version : This is why I love eventing

PnkPanthr
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:58 AM
http://useventing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/image288.png

"Karen O’Connor and Joan Goswell’s Irish Thoroughbred Gelding, Mandiba, put in their best test ever to move into the lead at the 2010 Rolex Kentucky CCI4*. After her test, O’Connor recognized the hard work of the volunteers by allowing the young gatekeeper to give Mandiba a congratulatory pat."

You know that made that little girl's day. Way to go KOC.:yes:

inquisitive
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:07 AM
Like :)

RiverBendPol
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:44 AM
As it should be. Good on you, Karen. I also noticed on the live stream that one of those little girls has autographs all over the visor of her hat. Perfect. :)

SkipChange
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:49 AM
That picture is too cute! Love it!

Jleegriffith
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:02 AM
Love!

DLee
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:07 AM
Last year in the Finish Box Karen took a young boy's visor (who had asked for her autograph) and got all the big names in the Finish Box at that time to sign it, he was over the moon. :yes:

IBWmassage
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:20 AM
that's seriously why I ventured over from hunter/jumper land. Kudos to KOC for thinking of that little girl while having an incredibly exciting moment herself

AzuWish
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
Wow, that pic made me smile :)

(How do I get to be that little girl??? Also, how do I get my visor signed like that? *initiates plan to wear pig tails and carry lollipop*)

I've got to say I love how the community is so helpful. Even when they are criticizing, it is always with your and your horse's best interest in mind. I'm new to the community so it is taking a while to get used to!

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
Love this. I hope the other big names follow her lead - even just a smile and an audible 'thank you' will make a horse-mad kid's day!

TwinGates
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:28 AM
This little girl will be telling the story for years. Kudos to KOC.

Little Valkyrie
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:45 AM
Great for KOC! The first year we went to Rolex my friends and I got shirts signed by as many riders as we possibly could. Karen was very friendly and willing to talk to us. The other two that really stick out in my mind were Heidi White (she talked to us about what she thought about the course, which we thought was amazing) and Heath Ryan. He joked with us for a little and seemed like a generally nice guy! Its fabulous when the UL riders just shoot the breeze with us little guys :)

NanO
Apr. 23, 2010, 12:10 PM
That really needs to be made into a poster! Mandiba is saying "Thank you my loyal subject"

Lori T
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:26 PM
I saw that picture and it really made me smile!

BuddyRoo
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
I've got a little something in my eye! Sniff sniff! How cute!

jenm
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:16 PM
I've got a little something in my eye! Sniff sniff!

Me too! :)

Gestalt
Apr. 23, 2010, 03:20 PM
Mandiba looks like he's enjoying the head rub. Kudos to KOC :)

retreadeventer
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
You guys, that is a once in a lifetime shot, and by our own USEA photographer Josh Walker. We are very fortunate to have a guy like him - to get a life-changing moment like that.
I too had tears.
That photo means something to that little girl. She probably stood there, as still as she could during the whole test, working up the courage to ask if she could give him the pet.
And Karen, cool, happy, proud of her horse, gave her sport the ultimate compliment by sharing her horse with the young lady, and with Josh's camera, too. This is a "this is why we are in this sport" moment.
My choice hands down for photo of the year.
A very meaningful and classy gesture. Long live the Queen!

ctab
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:48 PM
Once again, a reason I am a HUGE fan of the O'Connors and eventing!

Did bring a tear to my eye too.

If that is not the definition of RELAXED (at home, at a show, never mind at that level of competition!) that we all strive for I just don't know what is!

BEARCAT
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:56 PM
A few years back, David O'Connor was at the Expo in Denver and I was extremly impressed by his relationship with the general public, from the little girl who wanted her Breyer horse autographed, to the older ladies who wanted their picture taken with him. Through it all, he had the biggest, most genuine smile on his face. I cherished the pictures I took of him with Custom Made at that event.

TwinGates
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:58 PM
You guys, that is a once in a lifetime shot, and by our own USEA photographer Josh Walker. We are very fortunate to have a guy like him - to get a life-changing moment like that.
I too had tears.
That photo means something to that little girl. She probably stood there, as still as she could during the whole test, working up the courage to ask if she could give him the pet.
And Karen, cool, happy, proud of her horse, gave her sport the ultimate compliment by sharing her horse with the young lady, and with Josh's camera, too. This is a "this is why we are in this sport" moment.
My choice hands down for photo of the year.
A very meaningful and classy gesture. Long live the Queen!

Since this is a USEA photographer, wonder if they'd consider making a poster of it that c/b used @ future events (maybe even next year's RK3DE) to raise $$ for USEA programs? It just captures everything: the top of the sport and the next generation. Food for thought.

ss3777
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
another sniffer checking in.........Go KOC and Mandiba!

sniff..sniff...sniff

LFC.........pass it on!

zagafi
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:20 PM
That is a truly lovely moment. I may have something in my eye as well...

ellebeaux
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:31 PM
Since this is a USEA photographer, wonder if they'd consider making a poster of it that c/b used @ future events (maybe even next year's RK3DE) to raise $$ for USEA programs? It just captures everything: the top of the sport and the next generation. Food for thought.

I was thinking the same thing - I'd buy one.

retreadeventer
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:45 PM
Great idea! Somebody PM GreyDun.We need to get the name of that little girl.