View Full Version : OK, I need some happy thoughts..

elizabeth Callahan
Apr. 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
So my lovely 6 year old mare who is just a joy to ride, was winning at training and ready to move to prelim this season, is now out for at least a year at best and maybe will never be sound again.

She fractured her coffin bone in January on the rutted, frozen ground, and has been on stall rest since Jan 15th. OK, that's bad, but it was in a relatively good place, so I could deal. Her xrays 2 weeks ago looked like it was healing well, but she was still lame, so she had an MRI last week. Bad news - she has moderate to severe damage to her medial collateral ligament at the insertion on the coffin bone, as well as through the rest of the ligament, AND some degeneration of her DDF.

Not very good news. I went back and looked at the collateral ligament thread that was here, but could really use some cheering up with some miracle success stories.

Apr. 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
Didi - would the hyperbaric chamber at Dr. Riddles be of some use? I have heard some miracle stories related to use of it! The good news is she's already had a spectacular career to date - and you will be able to breed her. I know that's small consolation but I would die to have half as good a mare in my backyard! You have bred some real champions. She's another in a long line of good ones!

Apr. 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry! No words of advice cause I just don't know but... sending hugs and happy healing vibes your way.

Apr. 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
I have never understood how people want to be bi-polar (not that they want it, but don't take their meds because they like the "swings".) Me? I get MORE then enough from the horses- the highest highs, and the lowest lows. It can leave you breathless.

My heart goes out to you. I would think that someone here would have some ideas. I think that laser has had some good results, as have other things. I know you probably have thought of all of this....

So, sending jingles!

Apr. 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
Awww, Didi, you know I'm cheering you and sweet mare on...if I can come back, this mare can!!!! Have got EVERYTHING crossed and prayers (those that are left) going full blast!!!

Zu Zu
Apr. 22, 2010, 08:59 PM
Jingles for your mare and hugs to you ~ hoping the healing will progress to success. Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Alway Optimistic ! Need inspiration return to the "Willie" thread ~ talk about keeping the faith !!!

Apr. 22, 2010, 09:08 PM
So sorry to hear about your mare. She is incredible. Here's to high hopes that she will be healed next year.

Kris Ennis

Erin Pittman
Apr. 22, 2010, 09:18 PM
Yikes! So sorry, Didi! I don't have any miracle success stories, but if I hear of any I'll send them your way.

Apr. 22, 2010, 09:23 PM
Is it possible for her to be treated with stem cell or PRP therapy?

I'm so sorry you got this bad news! I hope that things get better from here on out.

Apr. 22, 2010, 09:43 PM
Echo the Stem Cell comment - my guy had a hole in his DSFT, stem cell literally made it good as new, and he competes in mini-prixs now. Worth every damn penny.

Don't know about the coffin bone bit, but find someone who does stem cell treatment. It's expensive, but compared to losing a $75k+ horse, it's cheap. NC State does it if nobody closer to you does.

The sooner the better, before scar tissue starts to form.

Apr. 22, 2010, 09:48 PM
So sorry! :( I'm certainly no vet, but hopefully because your mare is such an athlete and obviously in fantastic condition, if anyone will have a miraculous comeback, it will be her. My guy came back from a pretty bad injury to a ligament in the stifle - needs annual injections to keep everything lubricated, but other than that he's right as rain. Hoping for the same for your lovely mare!

Apr. 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
damn. I'm really sorry. Horses don't look at their xrays or the MRIs....so sometimes they really surprise us.

I really hope she has a good out come to be a sport horse again but at least she should still have a comfortable life. Most horses who I've known with the collateral lig injuries at the coffin bone have at least been pasture sound. I know of one UL dressage horse who was successfully brought back....and one who may be.

All you can do is take it one step at a time. Sucks big time though...

Apr. 22, 2010, 09:58 PM
I have a really cute little TB mare that got the "pasture sound only" ruling after she fractured her hind leg years ago.. 18 months later, she vetted completely sound. I mean, flexed "O"s on all four, etc. So, do the right rehab, give her time off, and take things REALLY slow. Sedate her if you have to. There are several full time rehab places around here that specialize in sporthorse rehab.. they're pricey, but worth it. I bet theres one within a reasonable distance of you.

Jingles for you and your mare.

Apr. 22, 2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your mare. Can't offer any medical advice but best wishes to you both!

Apr. 22, 2010, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your mare....as others have said at least you can maybe breed her if nothing else. I would also recommend looking into the stem cell treatments and also Tildren. Get a good sports medicine vet there are all kinds of new treatments today that we didn't have before.

Apr. 23, 2010, 08:02 AM
I'm amazed at how horses heal from the most awful injuries, my own had a 5" stick impale his hock...he's back so anything is possible. many prayers for your mare.

Apr. 23, 2010, 08:09 AM
Jingles and prayers that your Doc can bring her back to soundness.

Apr. 23, 2010, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your horse. I have a moderate success story that you probably saw on one of the collateral ligament threads. Star's was relatively mild and took a few months to find b/c there was other stuff going on, but the vet said that the prognosis was as good if you waited to treat as if you treated right away. Star got shock wave and IRAP. We probably won't be jumping around prelim any time soon, tho his ligaments are not the limiting factor there.

My old horse Jive had broken the whole extensor process off the front of his coffin bone before I got him and had a pyramid-shaped foot as a result. He clearly could not read his xrays and went around cross country (http://homepage.smc.edu/kline_peggy/Images/peggy_jive.jpg) just fine. When I retired him from competition at about age 18, that foot was the problem, but still. And we didn't have the therapies back then that we do now.

So don't give up.

Apr. 23, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Elizabeth - Not sure if you remember but I met you at the first vet check at the 2005 morven park CCI* with your chestnut mare... I had my grey mare there...

Anyway, my gelding two years prior severed 2/3 of the way through his lateral collateral ligament in the trailer. It was amazing. Took him to new bolton and the flushed the injury and he was in a cast for 8 weeks... he was give an 10% chance of ever being sound again, not because he was going to be in pain, but because the healing of the ligament wouldn't allow for fluid normal movement.

He had PT with me for I don't even remember how long (wasn't more than a couple months)... came back and his first outing was at Preliminary and he was 3rd! When I sold him he had problems with hock changes, not with his front feet! you never would be able to know.

Apr. 23, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Didi, So sorry to hear about your mare. You never know what will happen to them second to second. I have been fortunate enough to have a couple success stories. My Dutch warmblood got injured in his stall, no one had any definitive answer for me but the consensus was "he is done" at 5 years old. So I gave him time off 2 years and brought him back very slowly, I didn't do a circle for months. I still baby him and I don't school him very hard, ice his legs after any jumping or galloping. He just won OP at Fairhill. (he will be 9 next month) So hopefully with the best of care you give her she will have a story like this one too. I wish you the best of luck and hope she does come back.

Karen Schlingmann

Apr. 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
I saw that Karen, good for you! Happy story!