PDA

View Full Version : Some old (Over 15 years) videos Radnor 3d, Millbrook, PineTop

Xctrygirl
Apr. 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hi guys,

Through the enormous generosity of Lou Ann and Mark from RNS video I was granted permission to upload my old Captain Edgar's footage.

So here's the first little bit.

Full disclosure: I was between 21 and 24 in these videos. I was still a 'work in progress' and I did have full time a coach. This is pretty much what nice horses and 'learning' look like.

"Genie" was a powerful xc machine but even though she is running off with me in the Radnor tape, I never used much bit on her. She is wearing a french link snaffle in all her clips. She upgraded to more for other riders who rode her after, but I don't think I used a lot more bit.

"Willie" is a Mokhieba that was my Int. horse. In the one and only video I have up so far we are not looking all that fantastic but he was awesome. I hope to put up his Essex tape up as soon as I get it back. (Also I was at an all time high with my weight during this round at Pine Top. That's gone now ;) )

Ok so hope you enjoy...

~Emily

1993 Radnor Three Day - Jog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mss8jYui1w0

1993 Radnor Three Day - Steeplechase http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Kb9DF6LyQ

1993 Radnor Three Day - Cross Country http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HAhF8tVCIY

(The video company got kicked off the grounds that year before the CCI ran xc. So no second jog or stadium was filmed either)

1993 Millbrook HT - Xc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHexdqdXkg8

1995 Pine Top Spring HT - Xc - Willie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k42oW6RhEfY

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 22, 2010, 07:17 AM
Awesome! Love the familiar voice of Brian O'Connor. And look at all that open galloping space!

olympicdreams04
Apr. 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
Love old videos like this! Lookin' good, Em!

fooler
Apr. 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
You made a quicker & better turn at the Pine Top corner option bounce than I did.

You must have been tired pushing your horse thru the xc phase of the '93 Radnor LF:winkgrin:. Talk about a freight train - he got stronger throughout the course :D

Looks like you both had loads of fun - thanks for sharing

Xctrygirl
Apr. 22, 2010, 04:35 PM
Let me tell ya Fooler, Genie was a 15 hand mare. She was beyond fit. We conditioned based on the old USCTA book of eventing suggested calendar, that in hindsight must have been for 16+ hand geldings.

She ran Millbrook, Loudoun and Middletown before Radnor. She got better and ribbons at all. I was pleased going in. And to top it off we were in 11th out of 30 some odd after dressage. That was a big deal.

On Roads and tracks phase C I got confused and lost track of where we were time wise. She came into the box well on time, but there were delays so we actually waited well beyond the 10 mins before xc. Which of course, ehlped her to cool down a bit and catch her second wind. That year the course started up the hill towards the road by the jog ring, looped around and came down on the flat past stabling. I thought she was tired....til right after the second fence. She cruised down that hill and left way long for the 3rd fence which was a good size table in the fenceline before the bank complex. She didn't get bad til after we crossed the road way out back and did the white lattice's then I had issues.

It's most obvious after the first water, through the brush jump and going ohh around 700 mpm at the top of the hill over the red oxer. Too bad your view of the Aintree jump (which is huge) prior to the second water is obscured. She left many strides out and sailed there.

In the second water where she bobbles, she actually took off her bell boot and shoe in one clean stroke. Never missed a beat. The last 2 fences up the hill were pretty much in stride, as she got to the last she finally chipped in and cantered in.

Sadly we were tied for 6th and of course back then scores were broken on closest to optimum....well....when you're 45 seconds early at a three day..you're not gonna keep 6th. Oh well. We were 7th, but we got a full set of Kevlar Woof boots. Sixth place got a helmet!!!! I still have my woof boots.

ha ha ha ha ha.

~Emily

tm
Apr. 22, 2010, 05:04 PM
Boy, that brings back memories!

2horseowner
Apr. 22, 2010, 10:22 PM
Is that the same Willie who's picture was featured in The Chronicle? I think it was going over some type of brush fence? If it is, he was a great horse! Is this is the Whippoorwill who was so successful? That face is so familiar! Thanks for the blast from the past!

Xctrygirl
Apr. 22, 2010, 11:27 PM
Huh... not sure. I owned him from age 7 on through 10 ish. He was competing under the name "The Boy" when I got him. I bought him from Denis Glaccum, who bred him, his registered name was born in '87 "Cape Roheiba." We renamed him to "Whippoorwill" in 1994. He was sold in '97 and they renamed him "Nonsuch Master William." He was retired in 1999, 2000 due to fallen hind tendons, I think. He died at age 17 in the field.

We did have our picture in the chronicle once over a solid table jump when we won Canterbury in early spring '95.

Other than that we didn't have pics in that I recall.

~Emily

2horseowner
Apr. 22, 2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the info. This particular horse looked similar to yours! W/ the background info, I guess it wasn't the same one. Still, your horse looked like a great ride. Sorry to hear about his death.

RiverBendPol
Apr. 23, 2010, 06:22 AM
Em! Those tapes are a blast. Thanks for posting them. It was fun to see the Radnor course. When Char and I ran the CCI* there in 1995, it was raining so hard I had (and have) no idea what the course actually looked like!:eek::winkgrin:

Also, wasn't it wonderful fun when Millbrook crossed the road. Gorgeous event. Thanks, Em, that was fun...

Xctrygirl
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:07 AM
Pol,

1995 was the worst weather, and for me the worst luck!! I went to watch and had not one, but two car accidents in one day!!! Oddly the people I ran into on the grounds owned the horse that Karen won the CCI** on that year. LOL

Good luck for them, bad for me. But yes the weather was ATTROCIOUS!!!

I didn't recognize the event either!!!

2horseowner, is it possible that you're thinking of Hazmat? He was a Mokieba also and was ridden by John Williams. He did Rolex CCI*** a couple times.

~Emily