PDA

View Full Version : Input on Thornhill Germania 2-phase saddle

WNT
Apr. 22, 2010, 12:44 AM
I really hate saddle shopping, just had to get that off my chest.

I'm interested in what I've seen and heard about this saddle. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one that I can even try on my horse to see if it will fit. I like that it seems to have a generous flap to accommodate a leggy rider who prefers to ride with shorter stirrups and it has wool-flocked panels (adjustibility is a plus). I really don't want to make the one small shop that carries Thornhill to order one for me, only to have it not fit my horse.

If anyone has experience with this saddle and how it might fit a fairly high withered, broad-backed TB that is more comfortable in a medium-wide to wide-with-a-high-gullet saddle, please let me know!

n2dressage
Apr. 22, 2010, 07:48 AM
The problem with that saddle is they keep changing it... drastically. I rode in one several years ago and loved it. Sat in one at Rolex a few years ago and liked how it sat and bought it on a whim since they are so cheap. Got it home and it fit pony great... it was a "regular" tree which is really a medium-narrow. It felt like riding in Show Sheen. The leather didn't break in at all. So I sold it. Now the model they have is the newest one after the one I bought and I didn't like the blocks at all on the saddle stand. Haven't put it on a horse though. In my experience, they fit high withered narrow horses well. Dunno about a horse with a broad back though... Unless their wide is truly closer to a wide since their regular was closer to a narrow.

scubed
Apr. 22, 2010, 08:27 AM
There is one of the older version, used here if still available: http://www.saddlefitter.com/2nd_hand_tack.htm

n2dressage
Apr. 22, 2010, 12:13 PM
Yep that is the one that I bought back in the day. It was really narrow which was good for the horse but it felt like riding bareback for me and the balance point was too long for my short self.

ddashaq
Apr. 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
I have one and love it. I am not especially tall but I do have long thighs and it accommodates those well. I found it really comfy and easy to break in, plus it fits my average withered, wide backed TB very well. I bought it new and it was around $1K, so definitely not a high end saddle, but it certainly does the job and rides well.

ThirdCharm
Apr. 22, 2010, 09:38 PM
Hmmmm, I think that one of my students has that and she was just talking about maybe selling it -- fits her horse great but doesn't fit her that well (very tall rider with long thigh)....

Jennifer

PreppyPonies
Apr. 26, 2010, 03:40 AM
I got one recently and I'm still up in the air on what I think of it. It's a decent saddle and the leather breaks in nicely. It has a pretty forward flap and I've shortened my stirrups a lot to be in the right place with the saddle. I have long legs and while the flap takes up my thigh nicely, it's a bit short for my calf. So far I've felt fine hacking in it and felt secure over fences. I'm still not sure about the front block. My big guy has high withers and a decently wide back and the saddle does seem to fit him decently. It did need a very slight lift in the back but he needs that with pretty much every saddle. One thing I am liking about the thornhills is their tree points seem to be further back and more open than some of my saddles. And that seems to agree with my big guy, he seems to be more willing to open up and move.

The one big thing with the 2 phase is the tree runs small. Thornhill recommends going up one tree size from their other saddles, as in I have a 34cm vienna and a 36cm 2 phase.

WNT
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the input, I will keep it in mind.