PDA

View Full Version : Rolex: Camping in parking lot? Or any hotel rooms left?

Solace
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm driving to Rolex from out of town and I was wondering if anyone knows if they allow you to park the night before cross country and pitch a tent in the parking lot. I want to avoid traffic in the morning since there are no hotel rooms available near the park so I'd have to drive in from 2 hours away (a 4-hour drive on XC morning, I hear, because of all the traffic!). I'd be getting to the park around 9pm... would they even notice my tent, and if so, would they make me leave?

I know, I sound crazy :lol: Hey, people do it for big football games and concerts and whatnot -- and the management allows it. Why not Rolex?

P.S. OR does anyone know of any hotels with open rooms left? Somewhere cheap?

kcrubin
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
They have a camping area so I would think the parking lot would not be a good idea. I hear the camping area is really fun but you probably should check their site for a reservation.

Rescue_Rider9
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:51 PM
OMG! I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks of these kinds of things!

Camping in the camp ground would probably be best, but I would suggest not pitching a tent in the parking lot and just sleeping in your car if you dont want to stay in the camp ground for any reason (money is usually the culprit behind my ideas like this!)

Solace
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:58 PM
RR9, I'm looking at the Web site, and there does appear to be one camping spot left on-grounds. However, it's a nice paved one for a camper, which sounds like uncomfortable ground to sleep on. I was just going to throw a tent down and save myself the money -- and I hear the parking lot is grass anyway (true?) so it would be more comfortable than a pavement spot in the park. I am going with two other people so there is not enough room in the car for all of us to sleep, hence the conundrum.

Well... since it may rain anyway... anyone know of any hotels with unbooked rooms? :)

Lamma70
Apr. 22, 2010, 12:48 AM
Actually, the camp site has "rustic camping" sites when the campground is overloaded. This allows you to pick a spot on the front, grassy area (longer hike to the bathrooms, but not too bad). I would think there is still room there, as it is quite a large area. I love the campground because you just walk right in to the park!

CookiePony
Apr. 22, 2010, 01:08 AM
The parking lot is the campground. :) You can pitch a tent anywhere you like, for a fee. The "primitive camping" fee is payable at the campground store.

LexInVA
Apr. 22, 2010, 01:09 AM
Now there's an image.

CookiePony
Apr. 22, 2010, 01:15 AM
Now there's an image.

Description, please. :D

LexInVA
Apr. 22, 2010, 01:32 AM
Description, please. :D

:lol: Wouldn't you like to know.... :lol:

CookiePony