PDA

View Full Version : Resorted to the Pulley Rein Stop Today

xitmom
Apr. 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
(sigh) The weather was nice (finally) and I rode out in one of the fields today. This is the first time that the fields were not sloppy and thus my first time outside when not hacking on a trail or up the dirt road. My guy was a perfect gentleman in the beginning. Then we trotted a bit, and then the wind blew a bit. He decided it was time to GO. Half halt half halt. He had other ideas and completely took off with me. Not fun. (sigh again)

I guess if the footing was great in the field, the right approach would have been to gallop him until he was exhausted and then gallop some more. It wasn't (a few marked rocks and holes) and I did not want him to get hurt, the little bugger. Went back inside and worked him until he was good and tired. Hoping for a better day tomorrow. :rolleyes:

3dazey
Apr. 21, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hang in there. We never stopped being able to ride out, even with the never-ending rain down here, and the horses live outside so really have no excuse. And they are still fresh. I'm guessing spring fever, so this too shall pass!