PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Mount Holyoke CT entries this year?

Joyrider
Apr. 21, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hi All!

I am managing our annual Combined Test at Mount Hoyloke which has been hugely popular here in Area I ...a lot of folks use us to dust the cobwebs off and it is a nice event to get ready for King Oak in two weeks. King Oak is 20 mins away from us. I had 85 entries in 2008 and 68 in 2009. This year...sadly 30. Yesterday was closing date but we will certainly add if we can. So...what is going on? Economy? Going other places this particular weekend? (school vacation week)?. We sent out a baziliion prize lists and have the event listed on the Area I site as well as in all the calendar listings of the usual publications. It has been so popular for so many years - sad that it is so light this year!

Caroline Weber
Apr. 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
At least for the college-aged eventers, my guess would be end of the semester crunch time. I'm a current Mount Holyoke student and I doubt I'd be able to afford the time to go to a show when I need to be writing papers and labs.

xitmom
Apr. 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
I am going to the Stoneleigh Burnham dressage schooling show the day before (which also is VERY light in entries) or I would have hauled further to get to MtH the next day. Good luck with the event... I hope that you round up some more entries.

Flipper
Apr. 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
Sadly, for the same reason I'm not entered for King Oak - horse still recovering from lameness :cry:
I do miss riding in the MHC CT - it's always been a GREAT start to the season - and of course the facilities are top notch. You guys really do a good job putting it on - I really hope you get more entries. I'll start nagging my local horse buddies....

eventamy
Apr. 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
My trainer's going (Jess Systo) with a lovely young mare (who will be for sale this summer). My daughter (6 years) is doing her first dressage test on Saturday at Stoneleigh otherwise I'd be headed to Mt. Holyoke too! I don't get to do horse stuff both weekend days.

Mary in Area 1
Apr. 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
I think so many people went south to Aiken and S. Pines during vacation. People are starting so much earlier these days.

ncslp
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:25 PM
Former MHC rider here. Oh how I wish I could bring my horse and do a CT there, but since we live in NC, that's not happening:) But I do highly recommend going to a show there if you live closer than me.

Lisa Cook
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
There's an awful lot of stuff going on for the 25th in Area 1...I just counted 8 competitions being held on the 25th, plus 2 competitions on the 24th, from the Area 1 web site. Has Mount Holyoke always had this much competition for riders?

I know I sent a last minute entry off a few days ago to Valinor's combined test for the 25th...the ability to school their lovely xc course after the combined test was the influencing factor for me.

Edited to say...a year or 2 ago, the Groton Pony Club (I'm a joint-DC of GPC) event landed on the same weekend as an Apple Knoll schooling event. We all figured Apple Knoll was far enough away in terms of miles that it wouldn't impact our entries. Wrong. It definitely hurt. We found out that just one event held several miles away that you previously haven't had to compete with on the same date can make a difference in rider count.

quietann
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:48 PM
My barn has a little schooling 2-phase this weekend and entries are way down there, too, with only 12 2-phasers and 10 dressage-only tests. We're in eastern MA but occasionally get folks from the central part of the state. There is a LOT of other horse stuff going on this weekend in New England.

Joan from Flatlands
Apr. 24, 2010, 07:10 AM
I think its going to be a strange season. We ran a CT / Dressage show here on April 18th and were over-full (for us) and had a waiting list. Valinor is running one this weekend and looks to have more than their usual number of entries for their spring CT. Yet, we ran a Ride-Review-Ride back in March to get a jump on the new tests and had less than a full days entry - where last year (and no new test) we had 2 full days w a wait list.

Joan from Flatlands