PDA

View Full Version : Yet another bit thread...

faluut42
Apr. 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
I have a 13yr old OTTB, she is really hot and likes to pull but doesnt like leverage bits. She goes in a snaffle on the flat fine but gets REALLY strong over fences. She likes to be light, but you have to use ALLLLLL of you seat and almost no hand or she will take the bit and pull like a train. I would like something extra for those times.

When I went to first try her she was in a pelham and there wasnt that much difference between that and the snaffle.

I had my ponys elevator at the barn and tried that. She hated that. She got really behind the leg and wouldnt do anything but take short strides into fences. She was okay with the reins attached to the snaffle ring though.

I was thinking maybe a waterford? I never really liked slow twists and I dont really want to get into twisted wires and such.

I am open to any suggestions though!!

scubed
Apr. 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
I was going to suggest the Waterford. She might also be a candidate for a kineton or lever noseband if she doesn't like the change of pressure in her mouth, but I've used a waterford on some pretty sensitive horses with good luck

takethestage
Apr. 22, 2010, 01:37 AM
I would also say a waterford. I've been using it for the jumping phases on my sensitive TB hony and he goes really well. You can control the pace without backing them off too much, like it seems the elevator did for her.