PDA

View Full Version : Eventing in New York

edenequine
Apr. 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hello,
I am a back yard barn rider looking to get into eventing. I have access to a great ring, and cross country jumps, and am working on putting together some stadium jumps.
My question:
Is anyone in the westchester, NY area who is an eventer? Do you have any suggestions for how to get started? Any ideas for good first-time, low-key events? I'm certainly planning to start off beginner-novice - have a bit of a "project horse" and he's 18, so I don't want to put too much stress on him.
Thank you!
-edenequine

HappyHoppingHaffy
Apr. 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Edenequine,
I'm over in MA, and not exactly certain of who is in Westchester, NY area, but you may want to check out the Area I website.
Here is a link to the trainers in NY (I'm sure there are some who are not listed, too, as that is the case in MA):
http://www.area1usea.org/States/newyork.htm
I'm sure someone with more info will chime in here as well, but I thought the website could get you started.
Good luck! :)

Flipper
Apr. 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
Don't know how far you are from Old Chatham, NY, but if you want to check out a very low key, well-run, & fun HT in Mid-July, check out ENYDCTA's Old Chatham HT.... even if you just go to watch/volunteer. check the area 1 Omnibus to find it. It's a gorgeous venue, and like any ht, they always need volunteers (GREAT way to learn about eventing!).

piccolittle
Apr. 22, 2010, 07:04 AM
There are plenty of eventers in Westchester (I'm one of them)! I ride with a great trainer named Mikki Kuchta- she went to Rolex in 2008 on a horse she brought up the levels herself (and who is a very quirky ride). She's awesome! We go to lots of events in Area I, some of which are very close (Kent, Fitch's Corner, Millbrook etc).

Oh, also, for a great "starting out" event, I would definitely try the unrecognized ones at Frazier Farm and the recognized events at Kent. These are nice, low key and fun events that I always enjoy, and that are close enough to be convenient. Also, Wilton Pony Club runs a great event every year (or at least they used to) that was good to bring the babies to.

edenequine
Apr. 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you all! I'm checking out local events and hunter trials, and hoping to tag along and help out at a couple. I'm also trying to network with people around Westchester. I'm actually considering moving my horse to RiverHorse, where Mikki Kuchta trains, I believe.

Cathbad
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:46 PM
E'equine
Sent you a PM!

Cathbad
Apr. 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
E'equine
Sent you a PM!