PDA

View Full Version : USEF amateur/pro status question

RL
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm looking for some help. For amateur/professional status under USEF, do the guidelines apply for the calendar year, or is it continuous?

My case: I am not currently, and have never before been a USEF member, but have paid the non-member fee in order to do a few shows(does that complicate anything?) If I become a member now, while I am not currently accepting remuneration for any of the eligible actions as of the first of the year, can I get amateur status? Or because I have in the past accepted remuneration does that make me ineligible for amateur status?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

RL
Apr. 20, 2010, 07:38 PM
Anyone? Do I really have to jump through hoops to get someone on the phone about this?

eventingismylife
Apr. 20, 2010, 07:47 PM
I am glad you brought this up RL. I have been wondering the same thing about amateur status. So what does COTH think?

Tap2Tango
Apr. 20, 2010, 08:55 PM
Did you look up the ammy rules in the USEF rule book? It can be a bit difficult to understand certain parts of it. Post your question on the H/J board, but be prepared to get your head bit off.
Edited to add, The best answer you can get is by calling the USEF directly or dropping them an e-mail. It's really not that big of a deal and they are really helpful.

Tiffani B
Apr. 20, 2010, 09:46 PM
There shouldn't be any hoop jumping. USEF folks answer the phones and are more than happy to help. Call them; don't ask the "experts" here on COTH. You're going to get five different answers from three people.

RL
Apr. 20, 2010, 09:57 PM
Yes, I expect that Tiffani, but I don't expect much better from the folks answering phones for USEF. However, I will still ask, as I would have anyway. I like to cover all the bases... can't hurt on here... apologies for my lack of faith in USEF!

Tap - yes, I have. Bit confused!

SaddleFitterVA
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:50 PM
As people have been listed in the back of Equestrian magazine for violating amateur rules during periods they had not been a member, I'd say that the answer might be one of the two following, 1) "pay the $50 fee and provide notarized letters from two members in good standing that you are not a pro", or 2) "you need to wait a full year from the last point you received renumeration, regardless of membership status when you were receiving that money."

The pay the fee to reinstate amateur status seems stupid, but it would not surprise me if that was the answer. Answer 2 is more in keeping with the spirit of the rule IMO.

The reason for this is that if they allowed non-members to be exempt from the amateur rule, if you felt like teaching for a while, or working out some other form of renumeration, you could just not renew your membership for those years, thus leaving a truck sized loophole in the already convoluted amateur rules.

But, the H/J forum discusses this a LOT more than the eventing forum does. Even though the same rules apply.

RL
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks SFV! In some ways, it sounds like this will be easier if I just get and keep pro status...

Janet
Apr. 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
Technically, if you have EVER (since aging out of "Junior") engaged in professional activities,whether a member or not, you have to apply for re-instatement as an amateur (request change, pay fee, abstain from pro activities for a year, notarized letters, etc.) before you can compete as an amateur.

IIRC You need to wait 12 months from when you request amateur status, even if you last "pro" activity was years ago, but I may be mis-remembering on that one.