PDA

View Full Version : XCountry Schooling help!

SparklePlenty
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:16 PM
After our debacle this past weekend at i need a good place to go school that will allow me to school logs into water.

I'm looking at these 3 -

Morven
LochMoy Schooling field
Frying Pan park

Help COTH's - where would you go??

TIA!

LexInVA
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
Which one is closest to you?

SparklePlenty
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:25 PM
I'm about even distance from all of them.. which is why i'm not sure which one would be best.

:)

LexInVA
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:44 PM
I figured as much. My money would be on Loch Moy since it's in MD and you wouldn't have to deal with any of the nonsense of getting over to VA and hauling to Morven or FPP in the traffic. The scenery is nicer there too.

Catalina
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:44 PM
I am taking my guy to Morven next week for the schooling day after the Redlands experience. We are going Training at DR and I want to make sure Redlands didn't shake us up too much. I figure Morven will be a good one to go to as it is on the competition field and they have a bunch of really good, flowing jumps there (one thing that DR is not necessarily known for- although I love DR, don't get me wrong :)). I just took him to the Loch Moy schooling field a week and a half ago and, while I love it there too, I wanted to go somewhere with a bigger variety of fences.

SparklePlenty
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:57 PM
Catalina - Since you saw the Redlands course, and it sounds like you know LochMoy and Morven, which do you feel would have a similar question like redlands.

It's that exactly Combo that i need help with.. :sigh:

Lex - thanks.. ;)

poopoo
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:06 PM
Fair Hill is having a schooling this Saturday from 12-4. Their water is good to school.

LexInVA
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
Poopoo!

poopoo
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yes, Poopoo still lurks around.....

LexInVA
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
Poopoo shows up in the strangest places. On your shoe, in your car, on your floor, and even on the Internet these days. What strange times we live in...

Highflyer
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:21 PM
Is it too late to school at Waredaca? They have one, but it might be too close to their event. Otherwise Perfect has a small log into water, too--you could try there.

Catalina
Apr. 20, 2010, 03:34 PM
Catalina - Since you saw the Redlands course, and it sounds like you know LochMoy and Morven, which do you feel would have a similar question like redlands.

It's that exactly Combo that i need help with.. :sigh:

I would think Morven, which is why I am going there. Unless things have been moved in the last couple of weeks, the water at Loch Moy has a teeny log on one side and a slightly bigger one on the other side, but it is a couple of strides away and it was very easy; I want something that is a bit more of a challenge :winkgrin:.

asterix
Apr. 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
I think we're still open at waredaca (call to confirm), and while we don't have as much out overall as morven will, we have the perfect water for you; it has a tiny log in, a bigger log in , and a 2 stride combo in.

OneDaySoon
Apr. 20, 2010, 05:17 PM
Fair Hill is having a schooling this Saturday from 12-4. Their water is good to school.

poopoo - do you know if Fair Hill charges for XC schooling?

scubed
Apr. 20, 2010, 05:20 PM
They do charge, unless you volunteer at one of the horse trials, then you get a voucher. I think it is $30, but I have never paid, so not quite sure.

yellow rose eventing
Apr. 20, 2010, 06:14 PM
I just moved a bunch of stuff around in our schooling field (loch moy) about a week ago. I specifically added a log on top of one of the banks to jump into the water. Brought some new jumps down.

FYI.. a couple wednesdays a month we have schooling nights with me that include running through your dressage test as well.. it's a pretty good deal and includes the schooling fee. Our last group had tons of fun. I promise not to harrass you too much

SparklePlenty
Apr. 20, 2010, 08:08 PM
YellowRose -

I may just do that next week as a final tune up for MCTA. Lemme check my schedule and i will email you.

:-) Thanks!!

ottb
Apr. 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
They do charge, unless you volunteer at one of the horse trials, then you get a voucher. I think it is $30, but I have never paid, so not quite sure.It's $45 this year.

btw, for a T log into the water question - nothing at FH right now. They have that boat looking skinny log in front of the water (its the A of an A-B-C-D combo for the intermediate). It was in the same spot last year, if I remember correctly. And the T question is a coop in front of the water to a bank out to another coop. You can do the P question backwards, which is a coop to a drop into the water. All sounding a bit complex for this guy. The T log into the water at Morven from late March seemed like a nice friendly schooling question. And if Waredaca still has those logs into the water (which they apparently do) - seems like that would be a great schooling option.

SparklePlenty
Apr. 21, 2010, 10:01 AM
well i really need a Novice/training question... lol I dont plan to move up to training till the fall - but we had a miscommunication at the Log into the water at Redlands, so i need something to help boost our confidence back up.

Waredaca sounds ideal - except they normally keep the horses in the xcountry fields. But i will call them today and find out.

THANKS soo much for all of your help!!

retreadeventer
Apr. 21, 2010, 10:14 AM
Sparkle, I had this problem a couple of years back with a horse. I found that different logs/water jumps still presented the same problem...reluctance....until I had schooled WATER enough so that he TRUSTED met to jump into it no matter what thru any obstacle.

The way this was cleared up was actually at a Phillip Dutton clinic -- with his very patient and clear instruction, we worked up to the log in, and he made it so that the horse was confident by the time we got to the big question. This was so amazing -- and in 3 years since that, he has NEVER stopped in water. What can you say about instruction like that -- that clears up a problem -- and never has it return since. That's master instruction and training. There is a reason these guys ride at the Olympic Games, eh?

Just letting you know my experience -- think about logically approaching this so that your horse gains confidence, and understands. You may want to find a place to school that has easier water questions and work up to the log in just to give yourself the best chance of establishing understanding and confidence. If you go right out and pound him over a log into water you may not be licking the problem. (Been there, done that.) I think Waredaca might have the options you need for that sort of schooling. The "schooling" course at Loch Moy might not have enough of those options and it's pretty small -- and wide open, the horse can easily see -- not like something with some woods around it where water is shaded a little. You know Legacy Stable -- the old Weave A Dream -- also has a good water I think. That's up towards Hampstead.

Just my thoughts! :)

Ltc4h
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:12 AM
Was just @ Legacy [Weave A Dream] this past weekend water complex is hard to get to, very unused and is currently a dry sand pit, Sorry.

I would go to Otherwise Perfect, Julia has it set up- straight run through water, log 3 strides from water, bank on edge and log at edge. You can do as much or as little as suits your horse for that particular day.
And there are more jumps there from before left overs from the Wofford clinic.

asterix
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:24 AM
Well, yeah, we do keep horses in the xc fields at waredaca-- those are our pastures ...
But the horses are very used to folks schooling in the fields and we all hack out in them all the time. The schoolies are in that field now and they are a pretty placid bunch. I wouldn't worry about that; just shoo them out of the way.
Our water right now has a ramp through, a small bank one stride out or in, a very little log in -- stepover size-- a hanging log more like redland, and then a bigger 2 stride that is a solid t question

SparklePlenty
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:35 AM
Awesome!!

I put a call into Waredaca this am - so hopefully someone will get back to me soon.

thanks again everyone!

Sparky Boy
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:46 AM
What about Wingreen? I hear that's a very nice place to school.