PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for friend riding my boy during my pregnancy?

flbay
Apr. 19, 2010, 07:18 PM
I have a fabulous friend who I am thrilled is keeping my gelding during my pregnancy. She helped me find him three years ago (I did PPE sight unseen based on her opinion) and now she is keeping him for me and riding him until around October when I will be ready to have him back.

She really loves him/enjoys riding him but obviously she is putting a lot of time and money for lessons, HTs etc into him. I will be paying for some of the expenses but this is essentially an amateur to amateur free lease for her...plus, I get to live vicariously when she calls and gives me blow by blow of the rides. So, it is a win/win.

I am going to Rolex and staying with her...want to get her something special...but she has just about everything. Any ideas? Or if it were you, would you prefer cold cash for the shoes, clinics, and other expenses?

Thanks for any input!

FlightCheck
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:06 PM
Congratulations on the pregnancy!

In this economy, the cold hard cash would probably be best appreciated.

tailspin
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:15 PM
Buy her a couple of lessons.

twofatponies
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
Maybe a big gift card/certificate for something like SmartPak or another store/business she uses heavily?

Wee Dee Trrr
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:46 PM
I would most appreciate an offer to pay for a clinic or HT. But that's just me. :)

CarolinaGirl
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:47 PM
Buy her a couple of lessons.

This was going to be my suggestion. A few lessons with her regular instructor or maybe one or two with an upper level instructor that she loves. I had a lesson or two with Cathy Wieschhoff, who is based in Lexington, when I stayed in Lexington one summer and really enjoyed riding with her. I'm sure there are others as well.

flbay
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the input.......I really don't know if she will accept anything so a varied "giftbasket" may work best. She has organized the series of Buck clinics in KY this summer and plans on riding him (my gelding, not Buck:) in them so maybe I can do that ...plus she LOVES smartpak....so great ideas! Please keep the ideas coming!

FC, thank you so much! We are very excited..and I am even more excited that my boy will be in shape and ready for me when I am ready to be back in the saddle. Can't wait to see everyone again..hopefully next spring at Rocking Horse (I was 6 weeks pregnant at my last HT there - as always, you were announcing XC, and doing a smashing job!) Although maybe I will get to see some folks at Rolex!