PDA

View Full Version : New Pony project: pics! and, we need a new name

Heinz 57
Apr. 19, 2010, 03:30 PM
I brought home a new project pony this last Thursday - literally! He's 7-8, about 13.3 and the most adorable little black Welsh with a star and a hind sock. He also needs to lose about a hundred pounds - his ribs are impossible to find, and his spine and withers are just a big channel down the middle of his chubby little back.

He's one of my SO's horses, but he'd been sold to a family that was trying to 'fatten him up for the winter' with hay, grain, and half a loaf of BREAD a day. SO bought him back a few weeks ago, and moved him out to my house to be put on a diet and brought back into work.

I got on him for the first time yesterday, and he needs some fine tuning, but he has a lot of potential. You can tell he's been ridden by kids that let him get away with murder - he doesn't stop very well, tries to run through the reins once in a while and will throw his head back at you if you push either issue. After about 30 minutes he was going nicely at the walk and trot, actually starting to offer to soften and stretch a little. We trotted some poles, and even a small crossrail and he's like an old pro (never jumped before in his life!). His canter needs some work, he doesn't appear to know his leads at all and has to run into it from a trot, BUT - there are two leads and it shouldn't take much. And I climbed all over him like a jungle gym, hung off his sides, flopped on him on my belly and pulled myself on... and he stands like a trooper. I even put my gloves on his ears like a moose.

Nevermind the fact that I'm a hair short of 5'8", and entirely too tall for this little critter, or I might just keep him for myself. He's nicely built under all that fatness, and will be a flashy little sucker when he finishes shedding.

The silly cowboy named him Spook. We obviously can't keep that. Any ideas for the little monster would be appreciated - I've been calling him Billy Goat Gruff, because he's still got the long, LONG chin hairs and it makes him look a bit goat-ish.

Here he is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/photo-7.jpg

Moose impression (yes, should've switched the gloves so the hands go the right way...):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/photo-8.jpg

Ecks Marx The Spot
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
very cute! I don't know why but when I saw his picture, all I could think was "Chunky Chocolate" .

I love the ponies, he's adorable.

Zu Zu
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:28 AM
BOOM

pnalley
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:33 AM
He looks like the Thelwell Pony. Very cute.

M. Owen
Apr. 20, 2010, 12:21 PM
In the spirit of the Thelwell pony, maybe call him Kipper (as in the Penelope and Kipper cartoons)? He sounds like he acts a bit like a Thelwell at this point too. Very cute!