PDA

View Full Version : DC - Balt. Area Meetup: Rolex Show Jumping Final! - success!

Lori B
Apr. 19, 2010, 02:09 PM
Dear Rolex Fans --

I just finished visiting the Greene Turtle in Columbia MD to scope and to make a reservation for as many as would like to come watch the Rolex show jumping final Sunday afternoon. The manager tested the channel and reserved us access to a tv that will play Rolex over UniversalSports network; if there's enough of us, they'll even show it on the really big projector screen. The manager was very nice and quite interested in accommodating us. (Which is easy to do because no other big mainstream sports events are going on this Sunday....)

DATE: Sunday, April 25

TIME: 12:30 p.m. (the final is from 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.)

The Greene Turtle
8872 McGaw Road
Columbia, MD 21045
410-312-5255

Facebook Event:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000293104409#!/event.php?eid=114622428561254&ref=mf (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000293104409#%21/event.php?eid=114622428561254&ref=mf)

Please come out and join me in cheering for your favorites! And we won't have to wrassle any computer cables or squint at a 4" video feed. Instead, enjoy great riding and beer and potato skins or whatever unhealthy but cherished bar food you like.

Please PM me if you'd like to join us! It will be great fun. Look forward to meeting as many COTHers as possible!

==============

See last post -- we had a great time!

gottagrey
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hey there's a Green Turtle a bit further South in Germantown, MD - wonder if we should do something similar but more importantly do you know if NBC or Universal sports is televising any of the cross country??

Thanks

Lori B
Apr. 20, 2010, 09:01 AM
1) Germantown is actually west of Columbia.

2) The deal is, Universal Sports Television is supplying web video of the other phases on a PAY PER VIEW basis. Only the show jumping final is televised directly.

3) I would NOT make any assumptions about this channel being available at every Greene Turtle. I called, and when they seemed unclear on it, I went there and talked to the manager. If you don't, there is really no telling whether it will be there when you show up.

4) Join us in Columbia, it's not THAT far away!

CMCEventer
Apr. 20, 2010, 09:56 AM
What a great idea!!! Thank you for putting this together!! I am going to do everything I can to be there, and drag a few others with me, hopefully. Yea! This sounds like great fun!
Cherie

Lori B
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:23 AM
Yay, starting to get some responses! (on facebook as well as here)

Look forward to meeting a bunch of you!

LexInVA
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:25 AM
Just FYI, the event is not broadcast in HD or widescreen so you will want them to show it up on the projector, otherwise you won't see much of anything on the average flat panel in a sports bar.

Lori B
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
Yep. Part of the trick to getting the big screen is a good turnout. If we are numerous, we will get the big screen. And I don't think we will have a lot of competition for it, since I don't think there is a local baseball or hockey game at that time.

inquisitive
Apr. 20, 2010, 12:09 PM
Posted on FB but I'll try to make it!

tarheelmd07
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
wish I could make it, but I won't be back from loudoun in time :(

Lori B
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:45 PM
Good for you that you are competing that day! Have a great ride, Tarheel!

Lori B
Apr. 25, 2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks to CMCEventer and the other 5 attendees, a good time was had by all at the Greene Turtle in Columbia as we cheered on our favorites today! A big thank you and shout out to Don at the Greene Turtle, who was so accommodating -- he put the event on the big screen, and ran it off the computer when the telecast channel was acting up.

Next DC-Baltimore Equestrian Outing will be for the WEG, of course!

I was so impressed with Port Authority and El Primero, besides the big time riders, who had great days today as well as yesterday.

msmom
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
Lori B this was a great idea, and thanks for setting it up! Looking forward to WEG!

gottagrey
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:05 AM
Lori B 1) Germantown is actually west of Columbia.

Okay so I have only lived in Germantown for 6 years.. ya think I'd know this... maybe I'll learn my MD geography better when the ICC is completed (and if I can afford the tolls):lol::lol: