PDA

View Full Version : Converting a slant load to a straight load

LMH
Apr. 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
I have a Sundowner LQ with 3 horse slant.

Without going into great details I am done with slants. I want to convert this to a straight load.

Because of the feed mangers it will need to be a single horse straight...it doesn't matter to me.

Has anyone ever done this or seen floor plans to do it?

starkissed
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:15 PM
maybe just take the partition out and make it a stock type trailer? Very roomy for one horse!!I have no idea otherwise

LMH
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
I could and am open to feedback on that.

I have had 2 young horses try to climb the mangers.

3 horses are shaking when arriving-NEVER like this in my straight load.

I am frustrated and all ears.

crosscreeksh
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
Does it have a rear tack compartment?? If yes, that could be a problem. When I wanted to downsize from a 4 horse head to head I started by ordering an oversize 5 horse slant, no rear tack. All the manufacturer had to do was install two spring loaded posts. One at the rear and the other at the head end. For economy purposes they used a standard slant divider making the stalls a bit longer, but it works nicely. I can go back to slant (on rare occassion) by just removing the posts and rehanging the dividers. They also made two chest bars that stay in place with drop pins. Our trailer also has a ramp at the front of the horse compartment on the curb side, so we front/side load and back into forward facing stalls. It leaves a large area in front of the horses for a third horse on occassion and for tacking up "indoors"!! With a little bit of imagination you should be able to make two stalls.

LMH
Apr. 18, 2010, 11:00 PM
I have a read tack-but I really only need 1 stall-and the Sundowner dealer suggested your idea-the spring loaded posts.

Do you have any photos of your trailer you could share? Pretty please? :D

Edited to add-the rear tack is collapsible.

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 18, 2010, 11:03 PM
Before you go ahead and make modifications to the trailer, get a quote for what it will cost to convert it, and then go see what it would cost to sell/trade your's for a trailer that is already built as a straight load. You might find it easier/cheaper to do that than to pay for the conversion.

I honestly don't know, since I don't know how old your current trailer is.

LMH
Apr. 18, 2010, 11:10 PM
The trailer is only a 2006 and I have invested in a satellite so trading would certainly be economically challenging.

Even any creative suggestions on avoiding the manger issue.

I may feel better tomorrow but TOTALLY freaked me out.

And the horse got a pretty nasty cut on his stifle from something I can't find.:confused:

For SOME reason all of my horses just have slant issues.:confused:

I 'could' ride in the first stall only-no manger-maybe that is the simple solution.

I am at such a loss.:cry:

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 18, 2010, 11:12 PM
Just as an FYI - you can stop on the interior view of this trailer slideshow, all of the dividers come out (I own one just like it), the main post is spring loaded, the bottom has a piece of metal that fits into a slot in the floor, and the top has the spring load part, chest bars are attached to the center post, the center divider fits to the center post with hinge pins, there is a removable head divider also, and the butt bars attach to the removable center divider. The divider swings to either side when the butt bars are down (the rear center "pole" is not attached to anything).

http://www.buyshadow.com/product.asp?ID=65

I think most newer trailers have this configuration, where all the dividers and posts are removable, not sure how tough it would be to retrofit them into an existing trailer.

LMH
Apr. 19, 2010, 07:47 AM
thanks for the link.

I wonder if you can remove the feed mangers-I know you would lose the storage below but IF you could, it would work out nicely.

I am calling the dealer this morning.

Bluey
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:52 AM
You may do the conversion and find that your problem was not fixed, if it is something else than being a slant, like a bad axle.

I would lose some money if you have to and trade for whatever works best for your horses.:yes:

I had a horse, sold it, that would be very sweaty after riding in our or our neighbor's stock trailer, but fine in a friend's slant.
First horse ever not liking our standard stock trailers.:confused:

Hampton Bay
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:35 PM
I would trade it for a 2h rather than convert it into a 1h straight. But if you can remove the mangers, that would be a good option too.

LMH
Apr. 20, 2010, 06:16 PM
Here is a thought-what if I simply removed the slant divider, found a way to block the feed mangers and let him ride loose 'box stall style?'

I worry that they get tossed around-but is a box stall option even better??

Hampton Bay
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:46 PM
You know, when I have shipped my mare long-distance, she arrived WORSE being in a box. It just didn't give her much to lean on. Ideally, I would have them travelling backwards, but until I can afford a custom trailer that's not really an option.

Tiffani B
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
I have a 3 horse slant and I normally treat it like a stock trailer. No dividers, and my horse travels loose in the entire box. He loves it, travels much better. But that's him LOL.

My trailer has no mangers, no rear tack, so it would be super easy to convert into a 2H straight load. I'm not sure how you'd do it with the mangers in the way.

mroades
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hate to say it, but you need to trade that thing in. I would fear structural issues trying to change it so much...and no you couldn't give me a trailer with mangers. I know lots of people have them and use them without incident, but once you have seen one have to be euthanized while stuck in one.....

katarine
Apr. 20, 2010, 11:32 PM
(self editing madly)

Trade it in.

(on something you can't obsess over. Next it will be stock trailers are so dangerous, all that freedom. then it will be reverse slants, what say you?).

Don't chop it up. Just trade it in and buy what you think works best. For now.

cherham
Apr. 21, 2010, 09:11 AM
I have a three horse slant with mangers and a rear collapsable tack area. I absoutely love this trailer (and had to order the manger option extra which I find very useful) but when I am trailering a mare and foal I fold up the back compartment and take out the dividers to make a large box stall. The mangers have never provided a problem and I have never had a horse try to crawl into them ????? and there is lots of room back there......

ponygirl
Apr. 21, 2010, 11:01 AM
You know, when I have shipped my mare long-distance, she arrived WORSE being in a box. It just didn't give her much to lean on. Ideally, I would have them travelling backwards, but until I can afford a custom trailer that's not really an option.

Actually, you can get a backwards traveling trailer that isn't custom. :D
Take a look at the Balanced Ride line of trailers that Risa at Happy Trails Trailers has. I have one. I love it.