PDA

View Full Version : Nunn Finer vs. Woof

tldickinson
Apr. 18, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting some new jumping boots that I can use in both xc and stadium and I've come across both Nunn Finer and Woof. I've used Woof and really like them but have also heard good things about other Nunn Finer products, just not the boots. The Nunn Finer boots are cheaper (at Dover- I have a gift card) but I know nothing about them. Thoughts?

Here are the links:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/nunn-finer-single-touch-brushing-boots/p/X1-04123/cn/4682/

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-04481&ids=448013240

Thanks!!

-T

subk
Apr. 18, 2010, 06:14 PM
The Wolf's you show have the double velcro, which I find a pain in the patootey.
I use a Roma knock off of the Wolf's for everyday--single velcro--and they are fine. I don't use them for XC.

Thanks for the thread. I was planning on finding a second pair of the Roma's but I'll make sure to check out the Nunn Finer's next week at the Rolex trade fair...

technopony
Apr. 18, 2010, 06:24 PM
I personally like the double-lock boots, as I've had the straps on the single velcro boots rip after a while. I have the woof boots (double lock in front and 5-strap behind) for SJ schooling and flatwork, but wouldn't use them for XC. I used to, but had a horse hit a leg on a jump which easily tore through the boot and gave horse a cut. Nunn-finer's American Style boots and New boots provide more protection for XC.

GotSpots
Apr. 18, 2010, 06:26 PM
Sadly, I have found the Nunn Finers did not hold up as well as the comparable Woof boots. We're pretty hard on galloping boots (they get worn/washed several times every week on multiple horses) but the Woofs seemed to hold up to the abuse a bit more. The Nunn Finer gallop boots tended to lose a higher percentage of straps and/or have the padding start to rip. I'm disappointed, as I'd really like to support Nunn Finer, but I think unless we get them on super sale, we'll likely be buying the Woofs for general gallop boots going forward.

SuZQuzie
Apr. 19, 2010, 12:35 AM
Based on my experience of the double-locking models of both the Woof and the Nunn Finers, I much prefer the Nunn Finers in terms of material and durability.

ETA: My experience with single velcro boots of any brand is that they do not last. IMO, taking 2 seconds longer to fasten all the velcros is well worth the improved longevity of the product.

n2dressage
Apr. 19, 2010, 09:54 AM
I bought the Nunn Finers right after they came out. Had them a week. Strap came right off. Have heard MANY of the same stories from others. On the other hand... Because I'm poor... All the Woof boots I've ever bought were already very used and wear like iron! Did buy a pair new from TOTD with yellow straps... Trying to figure out how to dye them black. Have gotten them a weird brown so far...

And unless they are for XC I think double Velcro is the devil. Probably still would just use tape on single Velcro.

asterix
Apr. 19, 2010, 12:30 PM
I have a set of nunn finers that are now my "spare" boots -- they really don't fit my big tree trunk leg horses -- I can get them ON, but the hard shell isn't really the right size, and it seems to me like it's digging into them. Plus the hinds just don't stay put at all on the big(ger) horse, who has giant windpuffs on top of just being big.

I went to Thinline which I love as they mold to their legs, seem to keep the legs a bit cooler, and are hopefully just as protective (I have no idea, having thankfully never seriously tested this aspect of either type of boot).

Probably not an issue for most folks, but if you have a harder to fit horse the "fixed" fit of those boots may not work for you.

eqsiu
Apr. 19, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have a pair of single lock Woof boots that were purchased in 1997. They have lost one strap, and I use them regularly. I know when I buy them that they will last (as long as your horse doesn't interfere too bad, my first horse wore through a pair of hind boots nearly every year).

hrsjmpr
Apr. 20, 2010, 08:15 AM
I bought one pair of the Nunn Finers- the velcro straps tore off in about 2 months.
I still have woof boots from 15 years ago that were in better shape than the Nunn Finers after those 2 months...never again.

Zephyr
Apr. 20, 2010, 12:32 PM
I have the single-lock two-strap Woof boots... I think the straps are a little tougher than the 4- and 5-strap varieties. Use them for schooling, galloping, stadium and cross-country, and they've held up to use on one or two horses for several years so far with no damage.

yellowbritches
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:06 PM
Sadly, I have found the Nunn Finers did not hold up as well as the comparable Woof boots. We're pretty hard on galloping boots (they get worn/washed several times every week on multiple horses) but the Woofs seemed to hold up to the abuse a bit more. The Nunn Finer gallop boots tended to lose a higher percentage of straps and/or have the padding start to rip. I'm disappointed, as I'd really like to support Nunn Finer, but I think unless we get them on super sale, we'll likely be buying the Woofs for general gallop boots going forward.
Agreed. I have a full set of Nunn Finers, but I just use them at home for schooling and hacking. They still do the job, but they look pretty nasty and don't hold up to the level of wear and tear I put into them. We have TONS of Woof boots, however, and, with the exception of the oldest pairs (which are probably 10 years old), they all look great and hold up.

IFG
Apr. 20, 2010, 01:10 PM
We bought several pairs of Nunn Finer from TOTD. They have all lost one or more straps. I have had two pairs of Woofs during that time, they all have the straps. Nunn Finer replaced some of the strapless boots, but it is a PIA to have to ask.

Buy the woofs, better yet, buy the NEW boots--those are awesome.

tldickinson
Apr. 21, 2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks all!!! I ended up ordering the Woof brand. I'll continue to use my two strap ones for everyday purposes but I think I'm gonna use the new ones just for showing-- I feel stupid but just wondering, do horse boots need breaking in? I know I'll ride in them a few times to make sure they don't slip etc. but anything needed beyond that?
T

n2dressage
Apr. 22, 2010, 07:56 AM
nope, put 'em on to make sure they fit and then right back in the bag to keep them clean for shows! the only woof boots i've seen slip are the ones that either weren't put on tight enough (well.. really loose) or the ones where the velcro is finally dying after one million rides. :D

TXnGA
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:07 PM

I concur with GotSpots. I had bought a pair of Nunn Finer single strap boots for everyday use/ gallop and they have not held up well at all. I thought I was getting a deal buying the Nunn Finer instead of Woof. Have a set of NEW boots for my upperlevel horse and use Woof for competition purposes on my young horse. Once the Nunn Finers have worn out completely, will be getting another pair of Woof for schooling purposes. My Woof boots I have had for many years and have held up great. The only reason I got a new pair (and I mean "new" relatively speaking- they are 7 years old- and are only used at competitions or xc schoolings) was because my mom "borrowed" my old pair and is still "borrowing" them to this day, 7 years later.

As for XC, and only able to buy one set, I would go for NEW boots, provide GREAT protection. IF money was a problem or doing novice/ bn I would be okay with WOOF boots only.

subk
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks all!!! I ended up ordering the Woof brand. I'll continue to use my two strap ones for everyday purposes but I think I'm gonna use the new ones just for showing-- I feel stupid but just wondering, do horse boots need breaking in? I know I'll ride in them a few times to make sure they don't slip etc. but anything needed beyond that?
T
Generally not recommended to compete with equipment you've never used, so sounds like you've got the right idea. I picked up a set of Woof boots (2 sets actually) at Rolex for $20 off a pair. Used them today and they are good to go right out of the box.