View Full Version : Chatt Hills and non championship divisions

Apr. 17, 2010, 09:59 PM
So I'm one that entered chatt hills in a non championship division. I have emailed and called wanting my refund. They are the ones that are not having the division. They have my money and I want it back. I have already enterd another event. Really would like my entry back like soon. I'm just really cranky about the no response back from emails and phone calls.

Anyone else in my boat? Are y'all having trouble getting a response back. I hate to be so cranky but I just want a response with an answer.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Apr. 18, 2010, 06:33 AM
This was their message on Facebook:

Due to the incredible entry response for the Area 3 Championship divisions, Chattahoochee Hills Event regrettably will not offer NON- championship divisions at Preliminary or Training Level at the May 14-16 Event. Full refunds will be given to those who have already entered a NON Championship division. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If your check hasn't cleared the bank, you may assume they never deposited it and you still have the funds in your account. To be on the safe side, keep trying the contact number on their web site.

Apr. 18, 2010, 08:10 AM
When were you notified of the change? Had your check cleared or did you pay online? The Facebook post only went up a couple of days ago, and they've got a lot of entries to sort through to get everyone's refunds done. It takes time, even if they refund electronically and not by cutting you a check or sending yours back. They'll get it to you, don't panic, and cut them just a wee bit of slack, eh?

Apr. 18, 2010, 09:00 AM
Dear Amy,
Please take this note in the spirit in which it is being written. I have no dog in this hunt. I don't know the people at Chatt Hills. I don't know you.

However, one thing I know -- if this sport is to remain healthy financially, fun for all, relatively break even for the organizers, it must ALSO have both competitor and organizer treating one another with friendly respect and patience.

I wish you could go and spend a day close to competition with any event secretary, while they juggle demanding phone calls, nasty emails, just plain ignorance, lack of knowledge of the rules, and simple rude behavior among competitors who have some sort of notion they are ENTITLED to treat the organizers and benefactors of the sport like mud.

A secretary showed me her email box one time a week before the event. She about 100 emails. That in just 24 hours. She opened one and showed me what someone had written. I was aghast. I asked her why she even allowed such a person to compete at her event. She shrugged and said, "that's not even a bad one, you ought to see the worst ones." I will NEVER complain to any event secretary again. I want them to say, "Oh, how nice, what a lovely person to have come and ride at my event," when they see my name on an entry. I sure don't want them to think, "Oh sh@#t, here's that B@#%ch again!" FAIL.

This was made public it appears FRIDAY, 16th. Today is SUNDAY, 18th. One email to an event organizer within, what 24 hours? of non-business days of this announcement is NOT a reason to make a public post on a bulletin board to "rant". Everyone who is cancelled is expecting to get their entry fee back. Have you read their cancellation policy? Made a polite phone call or left a message with contact information? Checked the website? Why not wait for the next business day (Monday) to research your refund further. This is not a rant level problem, in my opinion. It's a glitch. Not worth smearing good people working hard at Chatt Hills, and sure not worth you getting your name out there as a problem entrant!

Nobody is poorer than me when it comes to event entry fees. I feel your pain. But I am so concerned that the continued stress on organizers will lead to less, and less eventing for me now, and for you younger people in the future. Lots of people who handle this stuff are VOLUNTEERS, too. Even the paid people don't need to take crap.

I guess what I am trying to say is: be patient, and please don't complain on a public bulletin board about something like this. It does harm. To fix what you've done, I suggest you not only leave a polite message on the answering machine, or email, and apologize for complaining on the COTH board, but offer to VOLUNTEER since you won't be riding. That ought to work.

Apr. 18, 2010, 09:00 AM
I paid on line. So they have the money. I'm trying to be nice about it. I know they have alot on their plate but money is tight. And like I said I already entered another event for may. Since I won't be able to compete at chatt.

It's also on the USEA website now. So I guess I'll just have to wait. Cash in my change jar lol!

Anyway thanks for letting me vent about it. I'll just keep emailing and phoning them.

Apr. 18, 2010, 09:12 AM
I hear you. I in no way wrote a bad email. Just want a response. Have always been nice and appriciative of people at events. My emails are simple wanting information. Which is limited. Posting info like not having the division on FB is a bit odd but this is the day we are in. It finally showed up on the USEA website. I still have not been informed by chatt hills. So if I had not been a fan on FB I would have not known. And would have not have time to enter anything else in may.

So I respect your stand on the organizers side. And I appricate what they do and I help when I can.

I jut simple wanted to know if someone else was in the same boat as me and had more info. That is what the post was about.

Apr. 18, 2010, 01:34 PM
It's been two days, and not even business days at that. Your bank/card will probably take several days to process the refund which may well have been sent from CH's end, it isn't instantaneous. And you are not the only one emailing with questions, I bet the secretary's inbox and desk and voicemail re overflowing.

I think your vent is pretty premature, in fact.

Apr. 18, 2010, 02:20 PM
Wow. What can I say that I have not already said. I was just searching for information about the situation I'm in. Was not looking at getting ripped a new one for asking how long it takes to get information.

I understand how stressful it is to put on any event. But I was just looking for answers. At other events when I have emailed questions about the event it's never taken more than a day to get a response. So I was worried.

Aparently I need to order up some patients. Or....just let it go.

Apr. 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
I'm not trying to be mean. But your post above said you'd keep emailing and calling, when the prudent thing to do might be to wait a couple of non-weekend days and see what happens. I don't know who's in charge of the entries etc, but if it's the same folks as at the last event I'd bet they're currently up to their eyeballs in work at the Ocala CCI**.

And yes ordering up some patience might be a good idea :)

Apr. 18, 2010, 10:29 PM
dear retread,
you are awesome and amazing and YOU are on the good list at chatt hills anytime you want to be. and yes, there IS a good list and a bad list :)

to op: since the event secretary has worked 80-100 hour weeks for the last two weeks before and after the april 10th event, lets let her have a weekend to attend her friends wedding before we start berating her with hateful e-mails or otherwise. as of this evening she had at least 100 emails to answer since friday.

obviously, chatt hills will issue refunds asap. they do not want to have to deal with 435 calls and emails a day about this while preparing for another event in a few weeks and if they didn't HAVE to cut out those divisions, they wouldn't. issuing refunds is something that is not fun for anyone and requires lots of time and paperwork! i don't think you would want to ride in a show that was overbooked and overcrowded so really, the decision is often for the benefit of the riders/horses! the event will be awesome and the facility is incredible so if you don't get to ride, please come volunteer and do your part for your sport! you will get your money back as soon as humanly possible. there's only so much one girl sitting in a temporary job trailer on site can do at a time!

thanks and i hope you get to ride next time- its a great place with great people who care about each competitor and their horse and make it a point to try to know them by name. thanks again for your patience.

Apr. 18, 2010, 10:39 PM

THANK YOU for posting this. I was totally unaware that Chat Hills had cancelled their non-champ divisions until I read your post, since NO emails or other indication has gone out yet, and the only place that it is listed is on the Omnibus page (which I dont make a habit to check after entering an event). I now have to scramble to find another event to get my 4th training run in before my planned move up, and I really appreciate knowing about it now so I can try to do that. I am sure Chat will do right and refund us, just glad to have a heads up from you to plan accordingly for the rest of my season.....
I cant wait to get to compete there another time!

Apr. 18, 2010, 11:04 PM
I recieved a phone call today from chatt hills. Was very nice to hear from them. And refunds are on the way as soon as possible. I was told the secratary would start answering emails on Monday.

I was probably over worring about the whole thing but the no response back was scary.

Just glad I was a fan on FB and knew of this soon enough to enter another event.

So best of luck to people competing at championships.