PDA

View Full Version : If you could train with anyone for 10 days, who would it be?

Novice321
Apr. 17, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'm going to get 2 weeks all to myself this summer. So very excited!! I've decided to treat myself to a short extended learning experience with my horse. However, I'm having a tough time deciding who I should train with.

Any suggestions for trainers that exel in this type of an extended clinic situation (someone that can impart vasts amounts of knowledge in a short period)? I was thinking I'd take lessons every other day for 10-12 days, leaving 2-3 days for trailering. I can make it to most locations in area II, III, and VIII. Also, I'm hoping to move up to training level with this particular horse (horse has some experience at training, but I've not gone above novice with him).

VicariousRider
Apr. 17, 2010, 05:36 PM
I bet Boyd and Silva Martin would be great in this type of situation, in part because if one leaves to compete, the other is usually around. Also, if they can accommodate your horse (space is sometimes tight) you will have use of the True Prospect facilities. You would also be in Unionville so that's always fun (although I'm biased!). The downside is probably that they will be expensive and you will need to check to see what their competition schedule is like at the time that you want to go. Also, if you plan it right, you might be able to move up to training at the end of your stay (at a competition nearby like Plantation or Fair Hill).

I am SO jealous! What a fun idea!!

tlw
Apr. 17, 2010, 05:42 PM
Jim Graham would be perfect for you at your level with your aspirations. He has a nice farm and is a wonderful teacher.

echodecker
Apr. 17, 2010, 05:46 PM
What about Denny? I did one of his camps last spring, and it was awesome! I stayed for a few days after and took more lessons with him. I'm sure he could accomodate you for two weeks and you would learn SO MUCH from him!

CookiePony
Apr. 17, 2010, 06:28 PM
I agree with the idea to do a camp-- you can enjoy the maeraderie of other students and get a full immersion experience.

LAZ is holding an eventing camp in Indiana in July with Dorothy Crowell, Peter Atkins, and Holly Hepp-Hudspeth-- if you PM her your email she will send you the info.

retreadeventer
Apr. 17, 2010, 06:48 PM
Wow! I didn't know the lineup LAZ got together! Holy cow, Batman! What a great bunch that is! Wish I could be there (impossible at the moment for me to do anything remotely resembling a camp away from home with my horses along...but I can dream!) Good on ya, LAZ. Cookie Pony are you going? Whose gonna take pictures and blog it?

ss3777
Apr. 17, 2010, 06:48 PM
I have done the Denny camp and 2 Eric Horgan camps. I can not say enough about the experience!! Very inspiring to be emerged in eventing with like minded folk. Not to mention the caliber of instruction. If you could do a camp, plus a week with that particular instructor you would probably catapult your riding/training into the next level. I am planning on some more "camping" this summer. Good luck!!

LFC...........pass it on!!

<3myTBlivesINmySOUL<3
Apr. 17, 2010, 06:57 PM
They do a 5 day "camp" @ True Prospect every summer ... thats where Id be if I had the $$$ ... $2200 for 5 days, includes private lessons w/ Phillip Dutton and Silva Martin, a chance for Phillip Dutton to school your horse, meals, stabling, lots of seminars, etc etc ... I believe its the end of June/beginning of July this year ... and it ends right before Plantation Fields HT/ST if Im not mistaken ... Id do the camp then stay in PA to test out your new found skills lol!!!!!

Eventingjunkie
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:13 PM
Give Kim Severson a try. The farm is in the middle of no where, but there is a possibility that there may be a bedroom open you can rent for a couple weeks if Kim is available. You might be surprised and find that two weeks there is much more reasonably priced than elsewhere.

Rescue_Rider9
Apr. 18, 2010, 03:33 PM
Wow! I didn't know the lineup LAZ got together! Holy cow, Batman! What a great bunch that is! Wish I could be there (impossible at the moment for me to do anything remotely resembling a camp away from home with my horses along...but I can dream!) Good on ya, LAZ. Cookie Pony are you going? Whose gonna take pictures and blog it?

I will be living there at the time this camp is going on and although I dont think i will be able to participate, I am going to try to get a ton of pictures and Ill try to post everything I see!!! Hopefully I will sell my horse before then and I can have the extra money to ride in the camp!

scubed
Apr. 18, 2010, 06:14 PM
It will be hot down south, but I second Jim Graham (assuming that he is on the farm - he travels a fair bit for judging and clinics, so you would want to check his schedule).

Hilda Donahue would be great for a situation like this. You could ride horses other than yours at her farm, thereby being able to gain even more experience.

Jessica and Missy Ransehousen. Great training, great farm and like Boyd and Silva Martin, at least one of them almost always home and both fabulous teachers.

If you want to go less "big" name, Debi Crowley in Alabama is a great teacher and has a very nice set up where she is, Danny Warrington is near Fair Hill, so there is a lot of opportunity to school there if you ride with him, Susie Beale at Cairn O'Mount Stables at Radnor will do a two week eventing camp starting July 26th that should be very good. There are also trainers that I know less well, but think highly of like Amy Wise-Riddle and Sharon White.

At your level (and this is not meant in any way to be snarky), you may actually get more benefit from someone that is spending a larger percentage of their teaching time with folks who ride at the lower levels as their teaching styles may be a better match and they would more likely have other students you could ride with and lessons you could watch to up the experience.

RunForIt
Apr. 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'll add on to scubed's post: second Debi Crowley and Jim Graham...oh, for a week or two with either would be heaven for all three phases. BUT, do give Lellie Ward a call. She owns Paradise Farm in Aiken SC and the facilities are simply incredible...the XC course alone is reason to train there. And then there is Lellie...personality has no equal, but the training is the same. Very similar to what you would get training with Lucinda for a week or two. You need to be ready though for reality - no coddling will happen; just the very best, most analyzed "this is what you and YOUR horse need at this moment" training by a person who gives her all for Rolex AND the next weekend's BN course...also ICP Level III certfied....I'm heading for Lellie as soon as I can throw a leg over a horse againl

Last but waaayy not least, please think about and call Mary Bess Sigman in Covington, GA. Bessie is an upper level eventer, upper level caring horse person, and genuninely one of the most helpful, FUN, smart, talented, (no we aren't officially, genetically related, but I do claim her to be part of my family) trainers you will ever be lucky enough to meet. Plus, she has a group of eventers from age 14 or so to age 60 (60 counting me, 63 ? counting her Daddy) who are successful at BN - Intermediate...PM me for all contact info.

I am officially ENVIOUS!!! Have a great time!!!! :D :cool:

scubed
Apr. 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
ooh. I forgot about Bessie and Lellie, but second the endorsements, though the personalities and teaching styles are somewhat different

RunForIt
Apr. 18, 2010, 08:44 PM
ooh. I forgot about Bessie and Lellie, but second the endorsements, though the personalities and teaching styles are somewhat different

:D quite...though Bessie worked with Lellie a bunch as a kid.

Scubed, you need to come to PTF advanced next year when CP and I go over!!! or come up/down(?) here for an event or clinic!

Toadie's mom
Apr. 18, 2010, 09:36 PM
They do a 5 day "camp" @ True Prospect every summer ... thats where Id be if I had the $$$ ... $2200 for 5 days, includes private lessons w/ Phillip Dutton and Silva Martin, a chance for Phillip Dutton to school your horse, meals, stabling, lots of seminars, etc etc ... I believe its the end of June/beginning of July this year ... and it ends right before Plantation Fields HT/ST if Im not mistaken ... Id do the camp then stay in PA to test out your new found skills lol!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!! 2200 for 5days?!!!!!! really? I'm sorry, I've been out of it for awhile, but was considering the David/Karen O. clinic @ Holly Hill for 4 days @ 600.00. Decided that was a lot for my beg. nov. horse, but now I may reconsider ;)

BigRuss1996
Apr. 19, 2010, 12:07 AM
Lol... I was thinking the same thing. One could have a weeks private lessons with many BNT's for way less. Though I believe they said that it included stabling and all your food for the 5 days. Depending on if the stabling is on grounds or not it's really not as outrageous as it sounds once you add up the costs of holding the clinic and feeding everyone, etc.

OMG!!!!!!!!!! 2200 for 5days?!!!!!! really? I'm sorry, I've been out of it for awhile, but was considering the David/Karen O. clinic @ Holly Hill for 4 days @ 600.00. Decided that was a lot for my beg. nov. horse, but now I may reconsider ;)

GPD123
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
Another vote for Kim Severson- most likely much more reasonably priced than you would expect, and there could be an on-farm place for you to stay. Even though its not a "camp" there are plenty of other people that are there for a week or so at a time, and her regular students. As far as the instruction goes- it will be the 2 most educational weeks of your life, seriously. :)

Badger
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:44 AM
Another vote for Jim Graham and David Adamo at Meadow Run Farm in Alabama. They have a good set up for this sort of situation, with housing for you and your horse and good facility. They both give a lot to their teaching.

retreadeventer
Apr. 19, 2010, 09:22 AM
What great suggestions:
Jim Graham
Denny Emerson
Eric Horgan
Kim Severson
LAZ's lineup of Dorothy Crowell, Holly Hudspeth, Peter Adkins
Phillip Dutton
David and Karen O'Connor
Deb Crowley
Lellie Ward
Mary Bess Sigman
Hilda Donahue
Jessica and Missy Ransehousen

And Big Russ really ought to mention the NAME, Bruce Davidson. (Is he going to give a weekend clinic this year? I want to put it on my calendar in big red letters.)

We are really fortunate in America to have such really top end people available by just an email or phone call. Lots of the folks on that list have competed at the very highest levels of the sport and have much knowledge about horses and horsemanship. The knowledge bank there is immense.

To immerse yourself for a week in a barn run by one of these people would truly be a lifetime's experience.

I so envy you, and you've given me a lot of inspiration by reading this thread to keep riding and getting fit so I can do something like a week-long clinic this year! How fun!

Long Shadow Farm
Apr. 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have to vote for Jim Graham also. I went there for a long weekend a few years ago when I dropped off a horse I sold to one of his students and had a blast riding. I wish I could afford to take off and go for a week or two and just ride and ride. Sigh.....

Bobbi

LAZ
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
I will be living there at the time this camp is going on and although I dont think i will be able to participate, I am going to try to get a ton of pictures and Ill try to post everything I see!!! Hopefully I will sell my horse before then and I can have the extra money to ride in the camp!

Oh, peeshaw! What do you mean you won't be riding? You may be weeding my garden to earn it, but you'll ride.

This camp has a graduating fee scale, depending on how early you enter, but it is very reasonable. I've also got a couple of local GP dressage riders pitching in a day each, a presentation from my vets (who are awesome), a "how to pull a shoe" from my wonderful farrier, how to build jumps by moi.

I'd blog but I haven't the foggiest idea how to do that. :0

annikak
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
I hear Jims farm is great....

But, if I had my own choices, it'd be Beth Perkins or Peter Atkins. Both have taken my riding to an entire new level, with confidence and fun along the way....

Lisa Cook
Apr. 19, 2010, 12:13 PM
They do a 5 day "camp" @ True Prospect every summer ... thats where Id be if I had the $$$ ... $2200 for 5 days, includes private lessons w/ Phillip Dutton and Silva Martin, a chance for Phillip Dutton to school your horse, meals, stabling, lots of seminars, etc etc ...

Wow. That's amazingly expensive. To compare...my son ski races, and we looked into a summer ski camp for him: 2 WEEKS of daily race training on the glaciers in the French Alps in July with good coaches, lodging & meals & some side trips.....for $2200. Not including air fare, but still....

For what it is worth, my son replied that if he was going anywhere for 2 weeks of training in July, he would prefer it to be with a horse, not skis, and he'd rather be with Denny at Tamarack, not the French Alps. :)

rivenoak
Apr. 19, 2010, 05:58 PM
I know it's not your area (we're X), but I'd go to my very own instructor: Marie Davidson

Flagstaff, AZ is beautiful in the summer, you can hack in the pines across from her house, I could go on hound exercise while up there, etc., etc., etc.

She's always so positive, has tons of experience, has an advanced teaching degree, and inspires me toward greatness.

I was just telling her I wish I could grab a week and just move mare/me in for an "intensive." Easier said than done, but maybe I can do it in the fall.

She only does training board at her place, very limited # of horses at any one time; two years ago was $1k/mo (plus vet/farrier expenses). Most of her students haul in from their home places.

piaffequeen
Apr. 19, 2010, 06:10 PM
No question in my mind-Caroline Atherholt (Dowd) in VA-Awesome Awesome Awesome!

Would also second Denny-but I think he is on his way up to VT.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 19, 2010, 06:24 PM
For myself...would like to do a hell week with Jimmy Wofford...might not live through it but it would be good for me:D...but alas, not possible.

But for the OP...who do you train with normally? Why not do some intensive sessons with them?

Most of the people posted on this thread are great.

I personally learned a lot from Leslie Law....would be interested to ride with him for a week. Boyd and Silva are great.

But honestly....what sort of trainer do YOU like. Who is a good for one person may not be good for another...

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Apr. 19, 2010, 06:52 PM
Kyle Carter.... :yes:

Kairoshorses
Apr. 19, 2010, 07:34 PM
LAZ, will you keep having these camps? Or Denny? ONE OF THESE YEARS, I'm going to get a sabbatical and actually go to one of these!!!!

LAZ
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:17 PM
LAZ, will you keep having these camps? Or Denny? ONE OF THESE YEARS, I'm going to get a sabbatical and actually go to one of these!!!!

Ask me on July 18th. :lol:

I plan to, actually, if this goes even marginally well (and I think it is going to be great).

I did the Area VIII YR camp for 3 years and it was great, this is closely modeled on those camps. Everyone always seemed to really enjoy them and get a lot out of it, so I thought why not do it here--I've got the stabling and faciity to do it so that is a lot easier than when I put them on in various other locations.

TXnGA
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:17 PM
I don't remember reading where you are located but....

I would recommend Mike Huber/ Heather Morris. Mike has a great barn, indoor arena, stadium arena, and xc with banks/ water and you get GREAT training!!!! It is also located 30 minutes north of Dallas (DFW) and you can do so much between Ft.worth and Dallas. Love Love Love Mike and his teaching and his barn!!! ALso a few shows/ local xc courses are relatively close by.

I second Boyd (never had a lesson with Silva), had great lessons both on the flat and over fences- but he is a very very busy man between all of his riding on his horses and training students and teaching clinics. Definitely check their schedule if you decide to go with him, but great trainer as well.

Good Luck!!!:D wish I could do that