PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Farrier (mid. TN)

FAQ
Apr. 17, 2010, 12:01 PM
New to the area. Any recommendations for farriers that do excellent work and are reliable and knowledgeable (particularly about needs of eventers)? Right now I only have one horse, and will be moving to the Spring Hill area.

Also am looking for vet recommendations.

Would appreciate info on who to avoid as well (feel free to PM).

FAQ
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:31 AM
I just browsed through the AFA (am. farrier's association) site and found a few CJFs in the area. But is CFJ certification a guarantee that they're experienced farriers?

Haven't received any recommendations yet. For those of you familiar with the farriers that service this area, let me know who's top notch and who to avoid! I'd rather rely on 2nd hand experience and not have to experience the less-good ones 1st hand :D

FAQ
Apr. 18, 2010, 12:23 PM
Here is the list of farriers I found that are CJF certified through the AFA in Tennessee. Not sure which of them would be willing to travel to Spring Hill area (~40 min. south of Nashville). Who should I try? I'm really feeling kinda lost here :lol: Also, are there others that aren't necessarily CJF certified that are excellent in their craft?

Collins, Stephen
Davis, Jeremy S.
King, James F.
Knight, Jason M.
Lampley, Billy J.
McClendon, Buck
Peel, Richard
Schmidt, John P.
Tomlin, John W
Warner, Johnnie W.

Tamara in TN
Apr. 18, 2010, 12:27 PM
New to the area. Any recommendations for farriers that do excellent work and are reliable and knowledgeable

Would appreciate info on who to avoid as well (feel free to PM).

email or call Johnny Warner...he's on the AFA list and lives on the border between the middle and east
TN...ask him who he'd recommend in that area

Tamara in TN

mcw
Apr. 18, 2010, 01:50 PM
I use Todd Starr. He has been excellent for my eventers, and I am pretty sure that he goes to Spring Hill. James King is good as well.

For a vet, I highly recommend Matt Pavlovich at Tennessee Equine Hospital in Thompson's Station. All of the vets there are great and you won't go wrong with any of them, but he has alot of experience with eventers. Welcome to the area!

FAQ
Apr. 18, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks, MCW and Tamara.

I have more questions (want to live up to my name "FAQ" :lol: )

From who/where do you buy your hay?
Where do you get bulk bedding? (I'm thinking about switching to the pelleted type)
Good feed stores in the area that carry Ultium?
Good tack shops for emergency supplies?
Is there a mid. Tennessee horse resouce website (just curious about what's available in this area)?

As is obvious, I still have much web research to do. But thought I'd get input from here as well :D

Tamara in TN
Apr. 18, 2010, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=FAQ;4813853]Thanks, MCW and Tamara.

I have more questions (want to live up to my name "FAQ" :lol: )

From who/where do you buy your hay?

right down the road :
www.productionacres.com:)

Where do you get bulk bedding?

the sawmill about 1mile from here

Tamara in TN

subk
Apr. 18, 2010, 04:20 PM
Billy Lampley is my farrier. He lives in the Leiper Fork/Thompson Station area so pretty much right where you are. I am very please with him. Does a good job and is accessible.

I also use Matt Polovich of Tennessee Equine Hospital. The practice has made a major commitment to their business recently with an expansion of a surgery and the addition of diagnostic tools like MRI and Nuclear Scintigraphy. They are not cheap but they are good.

I get Ultium at the Franklin Kubota dealership on Columbia Pike south of Franklin. I think Tractor Supply--a little further south on Columbia--has recently gotten a Purina dealership and my carry it as well.

I don't buy bedding in bulk, but instead get pellets from the Franklin Farmers Co-op.

Are you looking for a trainer too?

Welcome to the neighborhood.

CookiePony
Apr. 18, 2010, 09:41 PM
I use Todd Starr. He has been excellent for my eventers, and I am pretty sure that he goes to Spring Hill.

Todd must go to Spring Hill as he comes to Columbia to do HRH Taco. ;)

I have used Matt Povlovich and liked him, and I currently use (and love) Tony Kimmons and Libby Maddux at Franklin Equine.

Spring Hill has both a Tractor Supply and a Co-Op.

mcorbett
Apr. 19, 2010, 09:21 AM
I use Dr. Matt Povlovich for my vet and Steve Edwards as my farrier. He's in Murfreesboro but travels out to my house in Thompson's Station for a little extra. He's worth it...amazing guy, amazing work.

If I didn't use him I'd try either Todd Starr or Billy Lampley (or one of his apprentices, hes' a busy guy).

If you are looking for a trainer...Amy Wise. A lot of us train with her and we think she's the best!!

Judy's Tack Shop in Franklin is really the only tack shop left around here these days.

I shop at Tractor Supply in Spring Hill and the CO-OP in DT franklin (one is spring hill is useless) for all my horse care stuff. I know tractor supply has the pelleted bedding (just bought it for my chicks).

eponacowgirl
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:03 AM
I use Dr. Matt Povlovich for my vet and Steve Edwards as my farrier. He's in Murfreesboro but travels out to my house in Thompson's Station for a little extra. He's worth it...amazing guy, amazing work.

If I didn't use him I'd try either Todd Starr or Billy Lampley (or one of his apprentices, hes' a busy guy).

If you are looking for a trainer...Amy Wise. A lot of us train with her and we think she's the best!!

Judy's Tack Shop in Franklin is really the only tack shop left around here these days.

I shop at Tractor Supply in Spring Hill and the CO-OP in DT franklin (one is spring hill is useless) for all my horse care stuff. I know tractor supply has the pelleted bedding (just bought it for my chicks).

Ditto on all the farrier suggestions so far, I use Leslie Jones but he probably doesn't head out to Spring Hill. Todd Starr and Billy Lampley are some of the ones that make me breath a sigh of relief when people tell me thats who they use.

Amy, of course, is amazing as a trainer.

There are three big equine vets in the area and everyone is VERY good. You can't go wrong with TN Equine- (Matt and crew), Franklin Equine (Tony Kimmons and Libby Maddox) or Nolensville Vet (Mark Wooten and Nicole Cone). I use Nolensville, personally, but have used all three for various things. You will find that most Middle TN-ers are VERY devoted to their choice of vet, but will tell you the same thing about all three big clinics.

As far as tack shops, just hope you never need anything in a hurry. Judy's is fine, some of the co-ops have pretty good selections and Shelbyville has a couple tack shops that have a good assortment of stuff and do leather/blanket repair.

pawsplus
Apr. 19, 2010, 04:52 PM
My vet is Nathaniel Wright at TN Equine. Their website:

http://www.tnequinehospital.com/

Since the recent renos, it's the most sophisticated setup around. :)

I don't use a farrier, since I'm a barefoot trimmer myself.

There is about to be a new tack shop in town -- well, NEAR town. Stable Mates Tack Shop will be opening in May in Clarksville (N. of Nashville) and since the owners are my clients, I'm pretty sure it's going to be awesome! They're going to focus on dressage/eventing stuff and I know they already have some gorgeous Passier bridles in stock. ;)

My hay guy's name is Bubba. ;) Truly, it is. He's great. I live near Leiper's Fork and he delivers it and stacks it in my loft. PM me if you'd like his phone number.

Texarkana
Apr. 19, 2010, 05:14 PM
Bonnie's Barnyard (http://www.bonniesbarnyard.com/) in Triune carries Purina products. She also sells pelleted bedding I believe. Fabulous feed store with some of the best customer service I've ever experienced!

I also use TN Equine Hospital and will give positive reviews for all of their vets. :)

blackwly
Apr. 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
Another big recommendation for Todd Starr. He is professional, reliable, and a great farrier. That is hard to find!

I've been using him on all kinds of horses for about 8 years and couldn't be happier.

LuckOfTheIrish91
Aug. 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
Anyone have contact information for Todd Star?

ezmissg
Aug. 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Franklin Kubota has also recently added a tack shop and has plans to set up a used/consignment area too. I was in there soon after they opened, and although they were still acquiring more inventory, they were definitely looking like a better option than Judy's has been, IMHO.

FatDinah
Aug. 12, 2011, 06:05 PM
Bonnie's Barnyard is great, only place to get Triple Crown feeds, too. And she'll special order about anything feed-wise you can think of.

anglotrak
Aug. 12, 2011, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the area! I live in Thompson's Station. Tennessee
Equine Hospital is great. Check out their website. My main vet is Dr. DeLisle, but the rest have been out on occasion and give excellent care. Buck McLendon has been my farrier for so long that I can't remember when we started. He is excellent with young horses and only has 1 more level of certification to go if he decides to get it. Works a lot with the vet clinic on corrective shoeing. Can get you his contact information if you get in touch with me.

E

persefne
Aug. 12, 2011, 10:08 PM
My hay guy's name is Bubba. ;) Truly, it is. He's great.

Haha....my hay guy's name is Buddy. I call him "Hay Buddy." :D But, as far as FAQ is concerned, my "hay buddy" is a bit too far east here in Knoxville for me to realistically recommend him. Welcome to TN (or Middle TN, at least), FAQ! I get down there to ride with almost 99% of the other respondents on this thread (I also ride with Amy Wise when I'm in Nashville) and I look forward to doing just that again very soon. Maybe once you get settled in the area our paths will cross. You are now, officially, a "Middle Tennessee Eventer." It's a good thing. :cool:

--Holly

LuckOfTheIrish91
Aug. 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
I second Bonnies!!! My horse came from KY and he was on a Southern States feed and well we don't have those here in Nashville so she ordered a Purina feed that was almost identical to my Southern States feed!

bauhaus
Aug. 13, 2011, 08:57 PM

Actually the Kuboda dealer on Columbia (OP, where as previously mentioned you can find Ultium) now has a fairly extensive English-oriented tack department.

eponacowgirl
Aug. 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
Actually the Kuboda dealer on Columbia (OP, where as previously mentioned you can find Ultium) now has a fairly extensive English-oriented tack department.

Pretty sure they were not up and running in April with mcorbett originally posted that!

subk
Aug. 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
Pretty sure they were not up and running in April with mcorbett originally posted that!
April of '10 was the date of the OP! She hasn't shown up on COTH since...hope she got moved in ok.