PDA

View Full Version : How will the volcano erupting in Iceland affect Rolex?

pinkdiamondracing
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:44 AM
Does this mean some of the horses coming from Europe won't make it??

MrBob
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:49 AM
According to eventingnation.com Oliver's and WFP's horses are already here in Quarantine. No word on the others.

PhoenixFarm
Apr. 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
Mr. PF and I were just pondering this. I suspect the horses are already there, but I imagine this could end up being a huge problem for the riders, who often don't plan to arrive until Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

I think there could also be an issue for the officials, more than one of whom I'd imagine are coming from Europe.

Can't imagine the FEI has a volcano provision in its bylaws, LOL.

OverandOnward
Apr. 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
If flights are still a no-go when they are ready to travel, perhaps they could go by road to southern Europe, maybe even North Africa, and fly from there. Extra travel time, obviously far from the ideal. How far south does the flight grounding extend?

Depending on how blocked the southern>western route is, they could go east on the very, very long route, crossing the Pacific. Probably not in the cards, huh? They would probably have to set out right now. Accompanied by a very clever travel organizer. :yes: ;)

If they can figure out how North American dignitaries are getting to the funeral in Poland they could take that route backwards.

Someone with a lot of time and bus/boat/plane info could spend an afternoon on this ...

OverandOnward
Apr. 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
How about the judges & officials ... are some coming from Europe?

TxEventer81
Apr. 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
Yup, WFP and OT's horses were here early on the 14th along with the team vet, grooms, and the two Irish horses. I think I heard that OT was showing this weekend. Not sure about WFP. Here's hoping that the ash clears up soon!!

retreadeventer
Apr. 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
Ash will not clear up soon.
I was in the May 8 explosion of Mt. St. Helens in Washington.
We were in the ashfall path and the upper atmosphere had ash for nearly a month and eventually it ended up circling the globe. It's minute amounts of rocks and sand, and not like clouds, airplanes can't fly through it, it is too dangerous to the engines and structure.
Our ash from Mt. St. Helens laid around a long, long time, and it was in the air for weeks. The plume (the stuff that rises into the jetstreams) depending upon air currents will last weeks and weeks. It affects the weather too. It's weird.
I hope those that have to are traveling immediately -- I understand all the routes even to places not affected by it are completely jammed.

twofatponies
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:10 PM
Supposedly if the wind shifts it will blow the ash cloud further north, towards the arctic circle, and clear the air for European flights. If not, it could be a long time!

I think they should bring back steam ships!

FlightCheck
Apr. 17, 2010, 09:00 PM
I understand that "several" riders are still stuck on that side of the pond, while their horses are here.

Outyougo
Apr. 17, 2010, 09:06 PM
When Mt St Helens blew all the ash went East..landing in Yakima, Spokane and Montana. Living 20 miles West of Portland Oregon I was treated to specular cloud formations and no ash!

The mountain went off several times that summer. And still occasionally puffs smoke.

Yes some competitions were cancelled due to travel issues

nomeolvides
Apr. 17, 2010, 10:51 PM
Poor OT... that's the last thing you need when you're trying to win the biggest bonus in eventing. As much as I want to dislike him... I can't. I'd love him as a trainer. I'd love him to win the Grand Slam. Apart from WFP who I see as the British Mark Todd.

CookiePony
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:56 AM
Doug Payne's blog (http://dpequestrian.blogspot.com/2010/04/final-results.html) says that his mother Marilyn has been asked to step in and judge because of the travel problems from Europe.

DLee
Apr. 19, 2010, 11:07 AM
Here's a good read on OT's attempt to get here. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/equestrian/8629388.stm

Regal Grace
Apr. 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
From WFP's Website. It looks like and Oli and William will both make it but it's been one heck of an adventure.....

Travel Update - Monday 19th

Great news, after a beautiful flight down the French coast Teresa and I have arrived at Madrid airport. We have checked in for our flight to Miami later this afternoon, are all booked into the Miami International Airport Hotel for tonight and Oliver, T and myself will catch the 6.30am connection to Lexington tomorrow morning all being well.
A million thanks must go to James Gibson-Fleming, Yogi and all the team in the office for getting us this far.

Travel Update - Sunday 18th

Cool Mountain and Jackie have settled into the horse park at Lexington really well.
Ol hacked out and had a lunge yesterday and seems to be on very good terms with himself.

We rushed home on Saturday night as panic was setting in that I was not going to be able to get to America on my Monday morning flight out of Heathrow due to the volcanic ash cloud. Alice and Hannah had been franticly looking for alternative ways across the Atlantic for myself and Oliver Townend and by Saturday evening we eventually managed to book a flight from Madrid to Miami on Monday afternoon. But then came the drama of trying to work out how to get us to Madrid. We booked ourselves onto the Eurostar from London to Paris on Sunday afternoon, Oliver made it and I managed to miss the train at Basingstoke! But thanks to local hero and hunt master James Gibson-Fleming we commandeered his single piston airplane and he agreed to fly myself and Teresa Stopford-Sackville (Cool Mountain's owner) to Madrid at 4am on Monday morning by visual controls.

Oliver, once in Paris hit a brick wall with no trains or busses available due to a strike, so he hijacked a taxi, at vast expense, to drive him the 900 miles to Madrid. He has made it to Madrid airport and I will update my progress later on today.

Regal Grace
Apr. 19, 2010, 11:44 AM
I understand that "several" riders are still stuck on that side of the pond, while their horses are here.

Well here is the latest update from Team Ireland's Face book. Looks like Madrid is your best way out of Europe to the States....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3721423&id=234374783279

Capt Curran takes the long route!Capt Geoff Curran’s flight to Kentucky to compete in the ROLEX 4* event was cancelled on Sunday due to the Volcanic ash saga. With his horse The Jump Jet having flown last week and now safely in Kentucky, Geoff is now on cross country race of a different kind to make it to Kentucky. Last night he managed to get on a ferry in Rosslare to go to Cherbourg in France! From there he intends to drive to Madrid to try and catch a flight from to the US. One hour ago he reported from Cherbourg! Keep up to date with his progress on the Team Ireland Equestrian Facebook and twitter pages

Meredith Clark
Apr. 19, 2010, 11:54 AM
So WFP got to take a private plan and OT had to take a taxi :lol:

monstrpony
Apr. 19, 2010, 12:10 PM
What about guys going the other way right after Rolex in order to get to Badminton? Maybe they should all charter alternative modes of transport together.

RiverBendPol
Apr. 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
..... Looks like Madrid is your best way out of Europe to the States....

I hope to goodness they won't have to fly Iberian Air-worst airline in the world, if you ask me! Oh!, I guess a few others agree with me.:lol:

Best of luck to all travelers!

Iberia:
Average rating for this product is: 1.5 out of 5

Auburn
Apr. 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
If the ash is that bad in England, will the horses be able to run Badminton? Wouldn't it be terrible for their lungs? :confused:

nomeolvides
Apr. 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
If the ash is that bad in England, will the horses be able to run Badminton? Wouldn't it be terrible for their lungs? :confused:
I don't think a massive amount of ash is falling to the ground in England. I'm not completely certain as I'm not in the country at the moment, but haven't heard of any negative effects on the ground.

chancellor2
Apr. 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
It is not that the ash is bad in England but that the planes have to fly through the very damaging ash cloud to get here.

subk
Apr. 19, 2010, 02:36 PM
There's another thread that links Duttons blog that says he will keep Woodburn here and run Rolex (pending FEI approval of the late re-entry) instead of trying to get him to Badminton where he's entered...

Maryalden
Apr. 19, 2010, 02:45 PM
I've heard "through the grapevine" that Mike E.S. can't get out of the UK, and that Derek di Grazia will step in as the on-site course designer. Although, if WFP, and OT have gotten out, Mike may be able to as well.

bambam
Apr. 19, 2010, 03:47 PM
well, except WFP got out because of a friend with a private plane and OT got out with a $3,000 cab ride- not sure those are options for everyone :)

CarolinaGirl
Apr. 19, 2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think a massive amount of ash is falling to the ground in England. I'm not completely certain as I'm not in the country at the moment, but haven't heard of any negative effects on the ground.

Talked to my mother, who lives in Glasgow Scotland, yesterday... said they were having a nice sunny day there... no ash in sight, no clouds. It's mostly just up in the atmosphere where the planes fly and therefore no planes are flying.

Regal Grace
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:37 PM
Latest from WFP Website:

After an epic journey William, Oliver Townend and Teresa Stopford-Sackville have arrived at the Horse Park in Kentucky. The flight from Madrid to Miami went according to plan. William and Ollie shared a room overnight in the Miami International Airport Hotel and caught the 6.30am connection via Atlanta to Lexington this morning.

Now at last all they have to do is concentrate on the competition and we will worry about getting them home in time for Badminton

http://www.foxpitteventing.co.uk/news.html

yellowbritches
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:41 PM
well, except WFP got out because of a friend with a private plane and OT got out with a $3,000 cab ride- not sure those are options for everyone :)
I was listening to "The World" on NPR last night, and I guess a few people have been having to do the cab thing! The whole time I was listening I was thinking that they should interview some of the people trying to get here (or to Badminton). I think it's a pretty interesting story!

His Greyness
Apr. 20, 2010, 06:03 PM
There's no ash on the ground here in southern England, where I am at the moment. In fact, we have been having a string of nice sunny Spring days.

If the Icelandic volcano keeps on burping I may be forced to stay here for Badminton. :cool: Current order of go is posted in the Badminton website. (http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/horses__riders/entries_2010/drawn_order.aspx)

Carol Ames
Apr. 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
Have all the Americans scratched?

Carol Ames
Apr. 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
:no::no:[quote=Carol Ames;4818324]Have all the Americans scratched? from the news reports I would expect the course and surroundings to be covered in dust/ ash:eek: and air travel to be unreliable :confused:and dangerous:o:sadsmile: