PDA

View Full Version : My one-eyed guy's first XC in... 3 years...

eponacowgirl
Apr. 17, 2010, 01:00 AM
I'm headed out in T-6.5 hours for Wolf Gap CT- featuring XC and dressage- with two of my horses.

My perchie cross mare- who I started myself 18 months ago- is doing her last BN before she moves up to N at MayDaze and I'm so proud of her I could burst! She should rock around the course as we've been schooling N and this is a fairly soft BN.

My gelding- the one I've had for six years- is getting ready to do his second BN ever! He had his left eye out a year ago this month, and he's been shown extensively at dressage and hunter shows, but with all his eye issues, this will be his second time out on a BN XC course- the last time being October of 2007!! He's schooled everything under the sun and has been jumping N questions for the last couple months, but he is prone to stopping, so it will be interesting to see how he goes around the course. Its very inviting, nothing that should make him :eek:, but he is not very forgiving- he'll bail himself out of trouble but won't typically bail me out. So, as long as I ride him to the base of EVERYTHING, I have a pretty good chance of getting around. I'm just hoping for a good experience and to get a read on how he'll do at MayDaze!

Fellow COTHer mcorbett will be riding two of hers at BN as well, and our lovely coach Amy Wise is doing her last BN with her homebred filly, Flo. I only wish CookiePony and KateWooten would be there with us too!

Wish us luck- and now I'm off to bed!

KateWooten
Apr. 17, 2010, 07:51 AM
Good luck girl ! I wish I was there too ... but I have to try to limit the traveling to my second home to once a month or so - it's just too hard on the joe Pony legs.

Wish me luck at our first USEA event on the rescue pony who taught me to ride. I know it probably was foolish as an elderly beginner to buy an unbroken 3 year old with a massive head-abuse problem, and a book on how to train horses.... but it was buy-one-get-one-free week in KY, and you know how that goes :)

Gestalt
Apr. 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
Good luck and have fun! It sounds like you've got a handle on how to get your boy to, over and away from a jump. :) Your mare sounds lovely, will we see pix of this event from you later?

OverandOnward
Apr. 17, 2010, 12:57 PM
Have no problem seeing one-eye-sighted horses jumping as long as they are comfortable. But if your gelding is not yet comfortable (stopping, must go to the base,) why are you pushing him?

eponacowgirl
Apr. 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
Have no problem seeing one-eye-sighted horses jumping as long as they are comfortable. But if your gelding is not yet comfortable (stopping, must go to the base,) why are you pushing him?

Thanks for such support! Arizona began stopping LONG before he had any eye issues and has been jumping BETTER since the enucleation. Is every horse who has a stop in him or her over faced in your book?

Despite "pushing him to soon", my one eyed guy only had one stop, which was not half bad- there were 14 starters and only 6 people made it around without the big E.

Everyone had time penalties and only one person (mcorbett!) made it around without a stop. Of the six courses that were completed, four of those were by myself and Megan! Megan won both of her divisions, I got a 2nd and a 4th- it was pretty much a "last man standing" type thing. CRAZY.

BUT- both of my guys did great, considering the day! I was proud.

eponacowgirl
Apr. 17, 2010, 10:01 PM
Good luck girl ! I wish I was there too ... but I have to try to limit the traveling to my second home to once a month or so - it's just too hard on the joe Pony legs.

Wish me luck at our first USEA event on the rescue pony who taught me to ride. I know it probably was foolish as an elderly beginner to buy an unbroken 3 year old with a massive head-abuse problem, and a book on how to train horses.... but it was buy-one-get-one-free week in KY, and you know how that goes :)

Congrats on your day, Kate!

Can I tell you how weird it was to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to go to a horse show and not see your smiling face on my couch!?

KateWooten
Apr. 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
I read that last sentence too quickly and got butt and couch mixed up :eek: :lol: .... now then, do ya suppose I should start ranting and emailing Chattahoochee and demanding my place at regionals ? :lol:

mcorbett
Apr. 20, 2010, 03:07 PM
Lauren, I loved it when you called Mia "Teddy-ette." That seriously made my day. Who knows....they thought a pony couldn't do it...now they can say that 15 hand non-registered QH mare can't do it...