PDA

View Full Version : Anyone See Lucinda Green clinic on RFDTV

sunnycher
Apr. 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
She was holding an eventing clinic with pretty low level horses and/or riders. She started out in the indoor with a cool exercise. Made an arrow out of two standards to a small object, ie a mounting block or something similar. Not high, maybe 18: - 2'. Then she had 2 skinny jumps set in offset lines.

First she made them trot the point of the arrow ^, come back to trot and jump the skinny jumps. All about slow, so the green/young horse could mentally assess the situation being presented. That went pretty well, then they jumped in reverse, 2 skinny fences to the point of the arrow, all at trot.

Then she had them canter it both directions. It was cool. Really showed errors in straightness, direction, position, etc.

I set it up in my arena today, and lunged over it first, and no problem, the challenge is to keep them from running out of the skinny jumps, but mostly the point of the arrow backwards. Got some work to do!

ridingmel924
Apr. 16, 2010, 04:17 PM
I watched it a while back and really enjoyed it too. I'm glad you reminded me...I would like to set that exercise up too. It definitely gives the horse and rider something to think about which is always good!

Janet
Apr. 16, 2010, 07:56 PM
I rode in her clinic at Win Green earlier this week, and we started with that exercise. She uses a variant at every level.

It is a GREAT exercise.

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 17, 2010, 09:48 AM
Did that same exercise 4 years ago when I rode with her in PA. She's amazing at breaking everything down so you can see the building blocks involved (ie. walking ditches, banks, trotting smaller versions of complex questions). Loved riding with her and would definitely love to do it again with my new guy!

CookiePony
Apr. 17, 2010, 12:00 PM
Is that the same one that is on H&C TV? I blogged about it a while back:
http://teamtacot3d.blogspot.com/2010/03/rainy-day-learning.html

RunForIt
Apr. 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
Lucinda is here in GA this weekend at Cedar Ridge Farm...here's a suggestion for others thinking of riding with her in clinics on a regular basis: either take lessons from or audit lessons from a trainer who uses a training system similar to Lucinda's system or trains with her at clinics...I work with Lellie Ward whose training system is built on the same principles as Lucinda's and happily also takes clinics from her...in fact, I think I learn more because I know I can go back and ask Lellie what Lucinda meant, or how something translates into what WE do...this isn't an advertisement for Lell, but rather, a just know - Lucinda is all about being a proACTIVE, smart rider, and many of us aren't taught that in our instruction. :cool:

jackalini
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:45 AM
I set this up in the arena yesterday (just the corner/arrow) and plan to work on it today! I think I may know of a few jumps I can use for the skinnies.

I rather enjoyed the show because the hot little chestnut mare reminds me of my hot little bay mare. ;)

enjoytheride
Apr. 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
http://horseandcountry.tv/episode/lucinda-green-clinic-episode-1

Here it is on horse and country tv. You can watch the entire thing.

Parker'sMom
Apr. 18, 2010, 01:27 PM
What length of a pole do you use to make a skinny as shown in Lucinda's clinic??

6 ft 8ft?

Thanks

Janet
Apr. 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
More like 4 feet.

JFS
Apr. 18, 2010, 04:43 PM
You exaggerate Janet ... it's 4'6" ;)

Parker'sMom
Apr. 18, 2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info.. Will ask BO to cut one of the 10 footers down for 2 skinnies:)

Eventing_Rocks
Apr. 18, 2010, 09:03 PM
I just got back from a clinic she did today and it was great.
The exercises she does helps both horse and rider so much!!
She is GREAT

cllane1
Apr. 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
I just got back from a clinic she did today and it was great.
The exercises she does helps both horse and rider so much!!
She is GREAT

Eventing_Rocks, we were there too! Which rider were you?

I plan to jot down some notes later this week and post them. Lucinda was fantastic, and my horse and I had such confidence-building sessions with her.

KateWooten
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:02 PM
She is such an inspiration. I love that she can get so much achieved with teeny tiny jumps - that even I can do, safely, on my sub-optimal patch of uneven ground, all on my own !

HappyRiding
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:14 PM
I've ridden with her multiple times in clinics and we did not do a single normal length fence except for a 'corner', that she put a pole blocking of half of it. She made us walk barrels then canter to a skinny bending 4 to two angled skinnies on 5 strides. Ive done the arrow on my own before and most horses seem confused when jumping it point forward! She's really a great clinician i try to go to every year

IrishDeclan
Apr. 19, 2010, 08:36 PM
Eventing_Rocks, we were there too! Which rider were you?

I plan to jot down some notes later this week and post them. Lucinda was fantastic, and my horse and I had such confidence-building sessions with her.

cllane1, were you by any chance sitting on a really cute chestnut mare in the Training group?? ;)

cllane1
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
cllane1, were you by any chance sitting on a really cute chestnut mare in the Training group?? ;)

That was me! Were you the girl on the tall Irish horse that Lucinda kept raving about? ;)

Eventing_Rocks
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:26 PM
I was in the training group too! On a Chestnut mare :)

cllane1
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
I was in the training group too! On a Chestnut mare :)
Hey Rachel! How's she doing? Y'all were great at the clinic!

Eventing_Rocks
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
Hey!! She is doing great! Enjoyed the day off today. How is yours? Thanks, so were you!! It was a great group.

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 19, 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for posting this - I think it would be a great one for me to work on! Although probably a little scary to see how much I have to work on...gulp...

wlrottge
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:00 AM
I think I saw a couple of you there too!! ;-)

A couple of pics from the clinic (more to come, we had six from our barn there, so I have ~500 pics to go through)

http://pets.webshots.com/album/577393431QSpaQv?vhost=pets

sunnycher
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:04 AM
Just curious, we get some great clinicians here, believe it or not, she would be one to add to the list? Thanks.

cllane1
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think we paid $325, and got 2 2-hour lessons. Plus, we got to watch all the other groups go.