PDA

View Full Version : Another bit thread - need help finding one!

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 15, 2010, 09:42 PM
It seems to be the popular trend right now to be hunting for new bits! I'm currently on a quest of my own. My guy is overall very sensitive. I've been looking for a bit that he goes in without hanging or headwagging. My trainer suggested a mullen mouth, and the only one we had on hand was a mullen mouth pelham (we just attached reins to the snaffle part). He LOVES IT! He goes beautifully in it! No head wagging, no hanging, he comes through and over his back and everyone at the barn has been commenting on his flashy moves ;) However, I don't want to keep using this bit, it doesn't fit and honestly I don't need all that hardware... I just want the mullen mouth part. I was hoping to find a mullen mouth fullcheek that is NOT a happy mouth...but apparently they don't exist! Anybody have ANY idea where I can find one? Or if they truly don't exist, would an eggbutt mullen mouth be pretty equivalent in function as a fullcheek? He does all his jumping in a fullcheek dr bristol which has worked out fine, he just doesn't like it to flat in. Maybe he'd even like the mullen mouth more to jump in as well..I just want him happy & comfortable!

Any help is seriously appreciated! We're moving up to Training at a local schooling show in a few weeks and are hoping to have a better go in the dressage since the jumping is a non-issue.

Thanks!! :)

retreadeventer
Apr. 15, 2010, 09:48 PM
Well, I did not yet find a mullen mouth full cheek, but I did find a half cheek.
http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=24069
This is legal for dressage to my knowledge. It would be nice if Janet would confirm that -- I remember seeing it on the illustration list.

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
I will post a quick clarification - the reason I want a fullcheek is because he needs some help staying steady in the bridle. I've found the half cheek but don't know anything about them. Anybody know if this might suit my purpose? I was thinking the eggbutt might work because it's got a little more edge to it than a loose ring, but definitely a fullcheek would be ideal!

**A dee-ring is definitely more what I'm looking for if I can't get a fullcheek! DERF!**

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
Oh to have $135 to spend on a bit...that looks like it would do a great job! My only problem with the happy mouth types is I think they might be TOO soft; but maybe I should try him in one before I make my search near impossible? When my guy disrespects a bit he just hangs, I'm afraid he might disrespect the happy mouth more than the regular metal. Anybody had a horse who went from hanging to magically NOT hanging in a happy mouth?

goeslikestink
Apr. 15, 2010, 10:34 PM
not the horse but your hands
look here on helpful links pages read all of page one and all links
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178116

and read this one to
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=223453
its all relevent

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 15, 2010, 11:00 PM
Sigh...really, I'm not looking for anybody to tell me it's just me and my hands. I know it's "all relevant" but that's not what I'm getting at. A mullen mouth is about as soft as you can get, and I'm looking for stability for HIM not me. The point of looking for a mullen mouth is so he is happier in the bridle, not so I can force him into a frame or anything else. If you'd read my posts you would see that I've actually graduated DOWN to the mullen from jointed/dr bristol SNAFFLES.

Basically, if you feel the need to tell me I need to "learn how to ride," don't bother posting because I'm not listening. Obviously I'm on here asking for help because I'd like to achieve a better partnership with my horse through making HIM more comfortable and happy. I take lessons for a reason, I kow what I need to work on, thank you very much.

//rant off::

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far - I've been scouring the 'net like mad and just sent an email with links to my trainer! Hoping we can find something that works for my boy!

quietann
Apr. 16, 2010, 12:08 AM

Basically, if you feel the need to tell me I need to "learn how to ride," don't bother posting because I'm not listening. Obviously I'm on here asking for help because I'd like to achieve a better partnership with my horse through making HIM more comfortable and happy. I take lessons for a reason, I kow what I need to work on, thank you very much.

//rant off::

Amen to that. We are not all born with steady hands (though I'm wondering if our UK friends put a "steady hands" potion in the water or something...), and some horse (usually several), somewhere, has to put up with us while we learn (and we're never done learning to ride, really...) Most of us buy our horses to ride ourselves, not to watch some expert ride. (My Quote of the Day on this: "You have to have experiences to gain experience.") So why NOT make it as easy as possible for the horse?

Um, more on-topic, a Boucher bit has similar stability to a full-cheek (and does not, contrary to what you might hear, apply poll pressure.) I am almost certain I've seen a mullen-mouth Boucher somewhere...

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 16, 2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks quietann! :) As for the bit, I tried a jointed Boucher and he was fine for a couple days and then got really rank about it. I wonder if the mullen would go over better... hell, I should just get a mullen-everything and see what happens! :lol:

Peggy
Apr. 17, 2010, 01:23 AM
Would rubber work (D ring) - http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?ic=ER05798R

Found a few egg-butts, including this one, but it sounds like the OP found those - http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0180&tid=shopng&CATALOG_CODE=1X832&EID=X1832001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=39&zmap=X1-0180&bhcd2=1271482054

Failing other stuff, have you tried a multi-jointed bit, possible with a curved mouthpiece? My guy who likes mullens also likes those.

nextyear
Apr. 17, 2010, 06:31 AM
Try looking at bitworld.? it is in the uk so do not remember the last but it is not .com they have a amazing selection and are very quick to ship $$ are very good also.

scubed
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:20 AM
Korsteel makes this, but don't know if it is too like the Happy mouth http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=WB00912

You might also find that using a large D-ring provides the same stability action as a full cheek. This one is inexpensive: http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?ic=ER05798R

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 17, 2010, 09:34 AM
I checked out BitWorld - what an amazing site! It's www.bitworld.co.uk for anyone interested.

I think we are going to go with the Korsteel Flexi Mullen as the trainer suggested it too (really wish we could just find a metal mullen fullcheek!)

If this doesn't go well we might try the multi-jointed curved bit you suggested Peggy!

Thanks again everyone! Jack thanks you as well ;)

ladybugsbw
Apr. 17, 2010, 12:05 PM
I have a horse that is pretty unsteady with her head and tended to over play with the bit. I used the Nathe loose ring (i think you can find a full cheek), and she is in LOVE with this bit. It looks like the happy mouth, but it has steel on the sides but flexes in the middle. I can't imagine doing flat work in any other bit now. Definitely a bit to think about. :)

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nathe_Loose_Ring_Snaffle_Bit_p/0121.htm

wef26
Apr. 17, 2010, 06:57 PM
Oh to have $135 to spend on a bit...that looks like it would do a great job! My only problem with the happy mouth types is I think they might be TOO soft; but maybe I should try him in one before I make my search near impossible? When my guy disrespects a bit he just hangs, I'm afraid he might disrespect the happy mouth more than the regular metal. Anybody had a horse who went from hanging to magically NOT hanging in a happy mouth?

Most of my horses don't hang in happy mouths as long as I don't use them all the time. I save them for shows or schools.

wef26
Apr. 17, 2010, 06:59 PM
Just as another side note, the Stubben EZ Control bits are similar to the mullen mouths and they come in full cheeks. In case you need another to choose from.
:)

BigRuss1996
Apr. 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
Have you tried a Myler full cheek comfort snaffle? It also has no bend in the middle and many horses like them.

http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HRE&Product_Code=89-24024-5-7&Category_Code=MFCW1H

P.S. I know you don't want to hear it but... head unsteadiness does in deed come from the rider not their mouth but you seem to know what you want so I won't waste my breath telling you why. Good luck...

Jleegriffith
Apr. 17, 2010, 07:48 PM
Also wanted to suggest a herm sprenger duo or a nathe. I have versions of them in snaffles, gags, 3 rings and they are amazing. I use the D ring version on a lot of the soft mouth horses that come in for training. Great bits that are softer and more flexible than the happy mouths. I find if they like the metal version of the mullen mouths they tend to have no issues with the rubber.

I<3Sleepy
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:26 PM
P.S. I know you don't want to hear it but... head unsteadiness does in deed come from the rider not their mouth but you seem to know what you want so I won't waste my breath telling you why. Good luck...

I do know that unsteadiness comes from the rider and not always the horse (but come now, are all horses born straight, perfectly balanced, and supple?), however my horse is also unsteady because he's too busy fussing with bits he doesn't like. If he weren't fussing my job as pilot would be a lot easier, as in, I wouldn't be trying to have steady hands with a horse who's tossing his head around due to hating the bit in his mouth. Hard to have quiet, soft & steady hands when the horse doesn't even want to touch the bit! I do appreciate your input though! :)

And thanks again everyone; I've got a lot of bit testing to do in the future! I've been looking at the nathe bits as well, I know out of all of these there is something he's bound to like! :D

horsecents
Apr. 18, 2010, 09:27 AM
Try Cabin Branch Tack, http://cabinbranch.com/

I was able to find a Nathe Mullen Full Cheek there.

mustangtrailrider
Apr. 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
A local consignment store has several mullen mouth bits. True metal mullen mouth bits. I have seen a eggbut and loosering I believe. PM me if you are interested in me finding out more about them. I was in there a couple of days agao.