PDA

View Full Version : Epics caused bloody sores on heel bulbs

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 10, 2010, 08:55 PM
eeps after riding in epics for about an hour my horse's hind feet had sores. both on the lateral heel bulb. They are about the size of a dime or less.
They are the correct size and have comfort pads in them. I'm wondering if that sling back strap caused it or something else.
What do you suggest I do to prevent future sores?

(obviously going to let sores heal and find a solution to the problem before using again)

matryoshka
Apr. 10, 2010, 11:38 PM
Were the rubs on the underside where the heel straps go or higher, where the gaiters are?

When you put them on, it says to pull the heel straps, but you only want to make sure they aren't trapped under the heel buttress. A friend pulled them way up (thought she was following directions) the first time she tried them, and luckily I was there to stop her from riding that way. They would have caused sores if left like that. I don't even pull the straps up, because they are in there pretty good. I don't use that nylon strap they come with.

If you had them on properly and it is the heel strap that rubbed, you can cut them out or purchase tapers. If it was the gaiter, then you might get by with using vet wrap or something, but that would be a huge PIA.

It's also possible that the addition of pads pushed the hoof up higher in the boot making the bulb come in contact with the gaiter. I'm hypothesizing here.

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 10, 2010, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking it was the heel straps... it's hard to pull things back while on and really pin point it. I have those straps up just enough to keep the comfort pads intact. That's good to know i can cut/modify them and not have to worry about the functionality of the boot.

decorum
Apr. 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
What thickness pads are you using? Thick comfort pads should pretty much cover the strap, you are not supposed to put it up over the pad. You can always cut the dang things out and grind down the back of the screw covers in the sides so they are tapered and try that. Edge boots don't even come with those straps, they are not needed and cause confusion.

Ann Szolas

matryoshka
Apr. 11, 2010, 09:55 PM
It does sound like the strap is the culprit. If you put the pad on top of the strap, it should protect the heel. But you don't really need that strap anyway unless you plan to use the boot without a gaiter.

Hope it heels fast!! I'd wait until after the scab is gone or you are likely to rub it raw again. It is frustrating waiting for something like that to heal.

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 11, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'm a ding bat and pulled the straps up so that they held the 12mm pads in place. We rode today with no back boots on in the grass and he was happy.
we use them because the crushed stone footing takes hoof off like nobody's business and i'd rather boot for an hour a day than shoe 24/7

Auventera Two
Apr. 12, 2010, 09:38 AM
I always cut out back straps. They're useless and only good for causing heel sores ;) If you don't want to cut them out, make sure you use the 12mm pads so they cover the straps.

The new Edge and Glove boots don't have back straps.

I never saw a use for those straps at all.

If you continue to have problems after removing the straps, or putting them under the pads, you can wrap the foot in a couple layers of vetwrap which hels a lot.

Painted Horse
Apr. 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
I've put hundred of miles on in the Epic boots on multiple horses and have not had a rub. So something is not fitting right. Maybe your horse's feet are shaped differently. But my first guess would be getting the fold out of the neoprene heel part of the gaiter. It's very easy to trap that behind the heel.

You will just have to compare what part of the boot would be touching that part of the horses heel. Then you can start working on removing what ever caused the friction.

doimerhorse
Apr. 12, 2010, 03:02 PM
I never pull the straps up on my Epics and ride LD's. Been using the Epics since they came out on the market and haven't had any problems. Honestly, I've been through a bunch of different boots and the Epics have proven themselves. Now I'm considering switching the the Glove, especially since they have no wires and stuff to break. I bought them for my one horse and he's doing great in them.

They have a program at EasyBoot where you can send in two old boots and receive 50% off a different kind of boot. Pretty cool. I have a bunch of old boots with big holes in the toes (we put a lot of miles on them to get 'em worn out), and am going to send in a pair to get another pair of Gloves.

Another thing about the Epics. I live in sand and rock here in AZ. The sand gets pressed deep into the material of the boot. I was lazy once and just brushed the inside out, thinking that got them clean enough. It rubbed the hair off the back of Doimas' foot. So, always hose them out thoroughly after riding.

Good luck with your Epics. Once you get this little problem fixed, you're gonna love them.

matryoshka
Apr. 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
Doimerhorse, if you go for Gloves next time, I recommend you use Lock Tight or whatever it is called to set the screws in the gaiter better. They seem to work their way out at times.

I've got to order a new screw for the ones my mare wore during her last ride. Screw worked its way out, so when I get some new hardware, I'm going to reset them all using that stuff. I can never remember the name of it, though!