PDA

View Full Version : Rider and Horse Alignment

lisae
Apr. 7, 2010, 02:14 PM
During the winter I sent our two trail riding Haflinger horses for a little 30 day refresher/"shape up in an indoor with regular work" training. The trainer pointed out that my mare was really one-sided and moved most comfortably to the left, was very stiff to the right. I thought to myself that it was rather odd, and also that I tend to chose counter clockwise when warming her up, starting a ride around a field, etc.

I went to a chiropractor for the first time in years and he said that my atlas/axis vertebras were out of alignment, 15 degrees down and to the left. That was throwing my right hip up and left one down, making one leg shorter than the other.

Does anyone have any insight about whether my long term misalignment might have caused my mare to reflect this?

I'm looking forward to riding again with my new alignment! :D to see if this helps her balance better.

vbunny
Apr. 7, 2010, 08:49 PM
Yes, it's very likely connected. Not to say that she might not also have the tendency herself, as well.

JeanM
Apr. 9, 2010, 04:40 PM
Absolutely! it showed up for me when my right stirrup leathers on several saddles got longer than the left. I also had a chiro work on my mare and he found the right side was dropped. A little later, I finally started going to a chiro myself and BINGO. It was all from ME.

Might be worth it to have your horse checked by an equine chiropractor, now that you're straightening yourself out. Otherwise, I wonder -- if she's out of alignment if it could reverberate back to undo your adjustment?