PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity-bloodlines

Equine Studies
Apr. 4, 2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/benison

I'm pondering buying a 3/4 Arab by the stallion above. The gelding I'm looking at is 14.3 and has evented-I'm thinking about eventing and some local, very low level endurance just for fun. I'm wondering if anything there is a good line for distance-not that it matters as I'll be a total beginner at it.

I don't know his dam's breeding (other than 1/2 Arab and 1/2 Saddlebred).

Lieselotte
Apr. 4, 2010, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't worry so much about the pedigree itself (but Raffles is nice...) Most Arab Xs can easily handle a limited distance ride (25/30 miles) with some conditioning, a balanced rider and the right mindset.

Look at his overall conformation, his legs and hooves, and take him for a test ride on the trail. See how well he trots and if he spooks a little or a lot. Make sure he drinks when offered and takes care of himself in general (not wasting energy by being overly nervous, etc.)

As for the eventing part, does he have a record? The previous owners should fill you in on his dressage test and jumping results but you should try for yourself regardless. Also, have a thorough pre-purchase exam done by a vet who knows performance horses.

Good luck!