PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a great ride on Friday?

Auventera Two
Apr. 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
Since it was a paid holiday for a lot of people - did you get a good ride in? :) It was WINDY here in the Midwest but hopefully other areas had less wind.

We got a 2 hour ride in around lunchtime and it was wonderful! It was Andre's first real outing of the year and it just felt so good to be out on the trail. The frogs were singing in the marshes and they sounded happy to be enjoying the warm weather.

I rode with a couple of friends, and we saw 2 other groups of riders out enjoying the weather.

I hope everyone got out on Friday (or today!) Tell me about your rides!

I'll try to upload a video to you tube but I'm on a slow connection. We'll see how it works.

Huntertwo
Apr. 3, 2010, 07:23 PM
I had an absolutely wonderful ride this afternoon!! The temps were well into the 60's. Not a cloud in the sky.

I just planned on going to the barn to see Twinkie and ended up on a good hour or so trail ride...lol

Discovered a new trail too! Lots of water crossings and she just walked right through with no hesitation.

Glad to hear that Andre was a good boy...:)

pj
Apr. 3, 2010, 08:27 PM
ME! ME! TODAY!
A friend and I rode on the friends land and checked out some new trails her dh had made for us. Only rode about two and a half hours but it was great and the day was beautiful.

brightskyfarm
Apr. 3, 2010, 08:45 PM
and I rode too....... well actually all 4 horses.. :)
the temps reached nearly 80 here in pa.. (it was cold just last week, not sure what happened to spring?)

It was so nice , I ponied one/rode one to get all 4 out.....
most friends were busy with their holiday affairs...........and in so, it was the most enjoyable rides! the quiet. just me and my horses. We rode well into dark, the waning moon was still plenty of light ... how serene.

Futuresmom
Apr. 3, 2010, 09:24 PM
I had a great ride too! Beautiful day here in Florida!

decorum
Apr. 4, 2010, 01:38 AM
I prefer not to ride in mixed snow and rain and 50 mph winds so I haven't ridden since Thur and that was in the rain too and the first ride in 5 days. No end in sight to the rain but what is new. :sadsmile: Oh well, more time for my young boy to grow up.

endurancegirl_15
Apr. 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I did some conditioning but it was EXTREMELY windy. But all in all, it was a nice ride! =]

JollyBadger
Apr. 4, 2010, 11:45 AM
My boyfriend and I loaded up his two TWHs and we headed out to Paint Creek State Park (southern Ohio) for a day ride. It was gorgeous out, and although the trail we chose was a little wet, it still beats the slop and mud at East Fork State Park.

We were still able to get in some good gaiting on the dry sections, but not too much. The sudden warm weather kind of caught the horses off-guard, as they haven't lost all of their winter coats, so we didn't want to over-do it. We have all spring, summer and fall to get them out.

I had to work Saturday, and again today, but Paul loaded up his big Pusher horse both days to trailer over to some of the other local parks and enjoy the gorgeous weather.

Auventera Two
Apr. 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
That's great everybody got some good rides in! Well, aside from wind, rain, snow and other bad weather. ack. I rode yesterday around home and hope to today as well. The wind is unbelievable though. 4 days of this and its not letting up. We probably have gusts at 40 mph. Oh well, at least it's not hot, which is a great thing!

pines4equines
Apr. 4, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hay A2! How are ya?

I schooled in our ring on Friday but rode out yesterday. My beast was a dream. The schooling, even if the sessions are very short, does help with the manageability of the beast on the trail. I've been schooling almost every night for about 25 minutes and then ride out on the weekends.

I'm taking him out again today. We trailer to a state forest and there are tons of trees down. Each year a couple of us take it upon ourselves to help with the clearing. (NO chain saws are allowed by regular people - liability with the state.) But I bring a little saw and clippers and do what I can do. Today would be perfect for that. No bugs so the horse will stand while I saw away or clip from his back.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves all!

Auventera Two
Apr. 4, 2010, 12:09 PM
Ok, maybe this video will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUy2RPLUFF4

Got a few more but it took 4 hours to upload that one so I think I'll wait for the faster connection next week.

That was from our ride on Saturday. I said it's the end of March, but time got away from me a bit. I can't believe it's April already! :)

Auventera Two
Apr. 4, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hay A2! How are ya?

Hey hey!! I'm doing ok :) Hanging in there, waiting for company to show up for Easter dinner. Just enjoying my day off! :lol:

matryoshka
Apr. 4, 2010, 01:38 PM
Nope. Had a good ride on Thursday evening checking trail markings for a CTR on Saturday. Was very happy, because I started Frank on Adequan a few weeks ago and have noticed a big difference in his bad knee. He's now bold going down hills and there is no hesitation as he looks at tough terrain. It's a subtle yet profound difference. We had a couple of great gallops, too. There's no feeling like galloping a former race horse who loves to run.

We had a gorgeous day for checking riders in for the CTR on Friday, and a good day for the actual ride on Saturday.

I love volunteering.

Also, I got to see my mare perform at the CTR. She did a 10-mile paper chase on Friday and then a 12.5 mile CDR on Saturday. I watched her go by on trail as I scribed for the lay judge. Roxie loves her job as a distance horse and could have done the full 25 if the rider asked. Can't wait to see her at more competitions. Wish I could ride enough to compete with her, but I gotta say the lady riding her is doing a wonderful job with her. Thanks Beth!!!

Huntertwo
Apr. 4, 2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, maybe this video will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUy2RPLUFF4

Got a few more but it took 4 hours to upload that one so I think I'll wait for the faster connection next week.

That was from our ride on Saturday. I said it's the end of March, but time got away from me a bit. I can't believe it's April already! :)

What a neat video...I love to watch horses flickering ears.:) Looks like he has a nice ground covering stride too.

Is that an old railroad bed your riding on?

Bank of Dad
Apr. 4, 2010, 10:39 PM
My first trail ride today since hip replacement Dec. 1. Figures that the usually deadhead old man was full of it after his 4 month vacation. I really felt good and managed to handle his antics.

Auventera Two
Apr. 4, 2010, 10:44 PM
Hip replacement, wow! Good for you for getting back on a horse!! It sounds like your recovery is going well :)

Yeah, that's an old railroad bed. We have a lot of "rails to trails" projects around here. He definitely has a big walk. Much bigger than I'm used to. We had to stop periodically and wait for our buddies to catch up. lol

chicamuxen1
Apr. 5, 2010, 07:01 AM
IO was at the same CTR at Fair Hill, MD that MATRYOSKA was scribing at. I'm sorry, I forgot your mare was there for the clinic, wish I had gotten to see her but it was nice to say hello to you!

I rode my Wynne in his first 25 mile CTR on Sat. Boy did we get lucky with great weather! We were all afraid that the weather would be really hot for all the horses with long winter coats. My Wynne just started shedding out this weekend. But the morning dawned cool and foggy with a breeze that stayed with us all day, so even though the fog burned off the breeze temps in the 70's was just fine,

I was a little worried as I got paired to ride with a rider who's horse was a bit hot and fast and Wynne has been a bit too hot headed recently. I warned her that I was focusing on grazing and calmness so may be a bit irratic to ride with.But K. wanted to try staying with us as she felt that her horse needed the same thing. Well it all worked out really well. Both horses began grazing well, settled pretty well and got a decent start that allowed us to gradually add in faster work and some galloping.

We got chatting so much that towards the end of the first loop we rode right past a turn marking and came into the midpoint on the wrong trail. I was so pissed at myself and was sure the marking was bad. I have to admit that I was loud and obnoxious. We did finally find the ride manager who explained that we didn't have to go back the way we came but could go the shorter way out to the turn we missed then turn around and come back the correct way.

We ended up doing an extra 3-4 miles and although we finished the CTR we each had 6 time penalty points. BUT it was a great ride for our horses and we both felt really good about their performance. Wynne got ridden quite a bit faster on that 2nd loop but still ate, drank and recovered really well. At the final P+R he was a 38/8 which was just fantastic! I also apologized to the ride manager (a friend) for being a PITA as when we saw the turn markings that we had missed the first time we both had to laugh at how blind we had been!!

Well, first time for everything!

Bonnie S.

Auventera Two
Apr. 5, 2010, 07:13 AM
Oh ouch Bonnie! I've taken a wrong turn on trail before and added miles. Not fun. At least your horse performed really well. That takes the sting out of the wrong turn :)

It's exciting to hear that you guys are out there competing already. I'm getting itchy for the season to start! The first ride I may get to do is April 24th. I'm trying to get both horses slowly in shape (and myself too).

BigHorseLittleHorse
Apr. 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
Not friday, but I had an awesome training ride on Saturday! It was so beautiful out. Gearing up for foxcatcher in 2 weeks.

PRS
Apr. 5, 2010, 10:50 AM
My friend and I did about 12 miles on Saturday on mostly dirt and farm roads in middle Georgia. Temps were very warm...I even got a sunburn! If it hadn't been for the unbelievable amount of pine pollen in the air the day would have been perfect. We had a great time!

jazzrider
Apr. 5, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hey A2!

We had our first trail ride of the season on Saturday, having been asked to stay off most local trails until things dried out. Boy, were we all out of shape! But the horses were so happy to get out! My TWH, who is usually a marcher, seemed to want to canter the whole time. I am sore today, moving slow. We're going to need to get into a routine to get us all back to where we need to be. :)