PDA

View Full Version : Horse camping on the Washington (state) coast - where would YOU recommend?

sirensong4
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:41 PM
The title pretty much says it all. :winkgrin:

Roxie and I are headed for the coast at the end of August/first weekend in September.

Where should we ride?

I am trying to stay away from Ocean Shores as there is a lot of motorized/kite-flying activity on that stretch. I don't need a camper hookup but fresh water would be nice.

A barn that takes temp/vacation boarders would be ideal but I am not opposed to roughing it on the sand either.

Thanks in advance!

JoZ
Mar. 30, 2010, 09:05 PM
There is a place I've heard good things about -- it is not camping, it's a cottage rental with corral (I think). When I am home tonight I will see if I have it saved as a favorite on my home 'puter.

I love Roxie's blog!! I know your location is currently set to Idaho but you weren't by any chance in Utah for some/all of the pictures on the blog, were you? There is a very VERY strong resemblance to the place I boarded off I-215 in SLC (i.e. identical! ;)).

Roxie also looks familiar -- did you get her as a PMU foal? From where? I have, and have had, several PMU draft crosses that might be related. Aren't I nosy? But it was so weird to go to your blog and see a locale AND a horse that both ring a bell...

twotrudoc
Mar. 30, 2010, 09:12 PM
I have friends who have gone here--

http://www.theridingplace.com/index.html

and had a good time. Actually, I know the owners and have been to their other barn, they tend to be clean, safe, etc. If I recall correctly Frank (male half of owners) is a serious parking lot nazi, only negative thing I have heard.

Blacktree
Mar. 30, 2010, 09:35 PM
Nothing to add myself - but I am very interested in what people recommend, good thread topic! :winkgrin:

foggybok
Mar. 31, 2010, 02:08 AM
Not sure if you want to be all the wasy on the pacific coast, but there are nice places on the Olympic peninsula. You might try Mt Mueller, there is a nice horse camp there. Also check out Back Country Horsemen of Washington for info

sirensong4
Apr. 1, 2010, 12:47 PM
There is a place I've heard good things about -- it is not camping, it's a cottage rental with corral (I think). When I am home tonight I will see if I have it saved as a favorite on my home 'puter.

This would be awesome! Thanks so much. I have heard good things about The Riding Place too.

I love Roxie's blog!! I know your location is currently set to Idaho but you weren't by any chance in Utah for some/all of the pictures on the blog, were you? There is a very VERY strong resemblance to the place I boarded off I-215 in SLC (i.e. identical! ;)).

I myself did live in SLC for a little bit of my journalism career, but nope, Roxie has pretty much always been in Cd'A.

Roxie also looks familiar -- did you get her as a PMU foal? From where? I have, and have had, several PMU draft crosses that might be related. Aren't I nosy? But it was so weird to go to your blog and see a locale AND a horse that both ring a bell...

Roxie came from a feedlot in central Wa. I think it was in Yakima? Could have been Walla squared though too. I don't know anything about daddy, although i would guess QH since she is such a roany pony. Mom was a purebred Belgian. They must have come out of one of the farms in Canada. I would love to have two of Roxie, so keep your eyes peeled. Not only do i think they would make a cute driving pair, but Boyfriend (eventual DH) is going to need something to ride that will tolerate a novice. :yes:

Sister7
Apr. 1, 2010, 01:42 PM
Long beach is the place you want to be! Definitely worth the extra couple hours. http://www.peninsulasaddleclub.com/camping.html