PDA

View Full Version : Riding with your kid?

dixierose
Mar. 29, 2010, 11:06 AM
I have a 14 month old son, and I would eventually love to ride with him...but I'm very nervous. I see the "Buddy Seats" and have a pair of the stirrups that go over the horn. I know it's a huge risk to ride with your kid - but has anyone done it? What age did you start? My mare is pretty solid - but no horse is 100% solid.

Bank of Dad
Mar. 29, 2010, 03:57 PM
I had a mare that was 99.99% bombproof. Both of my boys started at 6-8 months in front with me, then when that got too tight, behind me sort of seatbelted on with the rigging strap. They rode like that until they were 6-7 then got ponies.

I guess that sounds a little crazy now. This mare was really unflappable. I bought her sight unseen. I'd give anything to have her back. I had her until she was 30. My entire extended family learned to ride on her. I've never had one that I'd do that again on.

goeslikestink
Mar. 31, 2010, 06:15 AM
if you want to do then take him to a well established riding school that has facilities for small children and obvosl insurance and plenty of help and aslo invest in a helmet prferable a charles owen as they do small children sizes

howardh
Mar. 31, 2010, 06:37 AM
my son started riding behind me when he was four. I had a belt with handles I wore so he could hold onto me. I think it was a snowmobile item.

Put Toestoppers in the buddy seat stirrups so your child's feet cannot slide through.

Of course a helmet. But you have to live your life. I lived and grew up when there were no helmets, seat belts etc. And we roller skated on metal skates with keys, rode horses, jumped on trampolines....skate boarded.......

My horse was also solid. One time we ran into a pack of Harleys and he started to get very nervous so I reached back, grabbed my kid and put him on the ground out of the way until the bikes passed, but that was the only issue I ever had.

Painted Horse
Mar. 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
I started my kids when they were six, But I put them on their own horses. I don't ride double and I don't let my kids ride double. They had to be big enough to sit the horse and stay balanced in the saddle. I made sure they were on calm horses and watched the surroundings that I allowed them to ride in.

But I have a good friend ( who scares me to death) I see her kids crawling around the horses at all ages. She had the babies in her lap when they were weeks old and her small children have grown up sittin in front or behind her all their lives. Often on 10-15 mile pack trips. In fact I can remember seeing them load the pack horses and then throw a small child on top of the pack, because mom already had one kid riding double with her.