PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! McIntosh Reserve wants to limit horses

spotnnotfarm
Mar. 28, 2010, 09:58 PM
HELP!!!! Friends of Mc Intosh have a proposal to the Carroll County Board of Commissioners for their meeting on Thursday, April 1 at 4 pm to keep horses off the river for riding or camping. Please email Susan Mabry at smabry@carrollcountyga.com and ask her to forward your email to all board members. We must stand up and fight for our Mc Intosh Reserve horse camping and riding on the river.

Equibrit
Mar. 28, 2010, 10:51 PM
Maybe horses are just not "passive" enough !
http://www.freewebs.com/fomr/

Goals

Ensure passive recreational use while preserving the habitat for plants and animals endemic to the Reserve.
Aid in the education of the public about the unique features of the Reserve.
Participate in the development of McIntosh Reserve as a critical part of the Chattahoochee River Corridor.
Assist in the institution of trail maintenance procedures consistent with the preservation of natural areas.
Work with County Commissioners to ensure a management plan consistent with these goalsMcIntosh Reserve Park http://www.carrollcountyrec.com/ (http://www.carrollcountyrec.com/)

pj
Mar. 29, 2010, 11:21 AM
This stinks. The river trail is my least favorite at Mcintosh but it does connect some of the trails and is a good trail for those with old or out of condition horses. Then there are some who just love the trail.

There are just a few river camp sites for horses. Two, maybe three.

My biggest kick with this is if they do this then the next thing you know we'll probably be out all together.

Equibrit
Mar. 29, 2010, 02:26 PM
Public property is for the use of ALL the public - so go fight it ! What was their rationale for limiting horse access ? Isn't it still closed due to the flooding, and aren't the riverbanks all covered in sand due to the flooding ?

ChocoMare
Mar. 29, 2010, 02:57 PM
E-mail sent!

pnalley
Mar. 29, 2010, 07:45 PM
Where is the email address??

spotnnotfarm
Mar. 29, 2010, 09:04 PM
Here it is pnalley smabry@carrollcountyga.com

I am going to the meeting on the 1st and will update everyone.

pnalley
Mar. 31, 2010, 09:00 PM
I just sent an email, sorry Spot not, I'm a wee bit slow sometimes

spotnnotfarm
Mar. 31, 2010, 09:38 PM
pnalley you are great! Thanks! I will post an update tomorrow night after the meeting.

Huntertwo
Apr. 1, 2010, 07:26 AM
Do you have a Horse Council in your state?

We have the CT. Horse Council whom gets very involved in any legislation changes that affects horseback riders in the state.

They have fought to keep certain trails open for horses. Thank goodness we have them to represent us.

Maybe they can direct you to the right contacts in your area.
http://s314688355.onlinehome.us/index.html

Equibrit
Apr. 1, 2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.georgiahorsecouncil.com/

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 1, 2010, 07:57 PM
Well most of the board is on the side of the horses and campers. It does not look like any restrictions will be made at the park.

2 pieces of great news..

McIntosh is set to re-open on Memorial day! All the contractors are in place.

And the new park in WHitesburg will have horse trails and Blackjack should open soon as well!

pnalley
Apr. 1, 2010, 08:32 PM
Tell me about the Park in Whitesburg? That is not to terribly far from me.

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 1, 2010, 08:52 PM
Pnalley-it is still in the planning stages but it is 3-4 miles from McIntosh and is also along the river. They will have horse trails along with hiking. It is a historical park so I am not sure how it will be layed out.

I am meeting with the park manager at McIntosh in a week or so to get a tour and will ask him more about the new park.

ChocoMare
Apr. 2, 2010, 09:00 AM
Great news!!!! Hmmm, now we need to plan a big day ride at McIntosh for Memorial Day Weekend to celebrate!

pj
Apr. 2, 2010, 10:33 AM
Pnalley-it is still in the planning stages but it is 3-4 miles from McIntosh and is also along the river. They will have horse trails along with hiking. It is a historical park so I am not sure how it will be layed out.

I am meeting with the park manager at McIntosh in a week or so to get a tour and will ask him more about the new park.
Try to find out where the entrance to black jack is. I keep meaning to take a run (without a horse) there to see but don't seem to get around to it.

Hope everyone rode yesterday. I did and it was glorious!!

FatCatFarm
Apr. 5, 2010, 10:23 AM
Great news about McIntosh and I had not heard about the other park in Whitesburg going in. Excellent. I rode on the Army Core of Engineers property just West of Franklin on Saturday with a group. Lots and lots of riding there. We rode over to it from someone's property but was told that you can get there via Hwy. 27. Anyone know more details?

Equibrit
Apr. 5, 2010, 12:05 PM
It seems to be anonymous;
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Franklin+Ga&sll=33.097934,-85.079563&sspn=0.643096,0.718231&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Franklin,+Heard,+Georgia&ll=33.293947,-85.096321&spn=0.040104,0.044889&z=14

pj
Apr. 5, 2010, 12:59 PM
Great news about McIntosh and I had not heard about the other park in Whitesburg going in. Excellent. I rode on the Army Core of Engineers property just West of Franklin on Saturday with a group. Lots and lots of riding there. We rode over to it from someone's property but was told that you can get there via Hwy. 27. Anyone know more details?

:) Can't you get information for us from whoever you rode with? I've never even heard of it and it's not far from me. Please try.

FatCatFarm
Apr. 5, 2010, 01:49 PM
:) Can't you get information for us from whoever you rode with? I've never even heard of it and it's not far from me. Please try.

I'll see what I can do.

pj
Apr. 5, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!! Would be much appreciated.

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 5, 2010, 06:33 PM
I am a member of the Heard County Saddle Club and at our meeting tomorrow night I will ask about it. If anyone knows I will post it here.

FatCatFarm
Apr. 6, 2010, 02:11 PM
That would be great as I am still waiting for a reply to my query.

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 9, 2010, 09:04 AM
I asked about the trails FatCat rode on last weekend and nobody in my saddle club knew about them. Sorry!

Here is an article about McIntosh that was in the paper this morning. I am not sure if the park will be open to horses on Memorial day or just campers. I plan on going out there next week so I will update ya'll.

http://times-georgian.com/view/full_story/7005420/article-Work-begins-next-week-at-McIntosh-Park?instance=TG_home_story_offset

FatCatFarm
Apr. 9, 2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks spotnotfarm. I've never gotten a reply to my email to the person I rode there with. I'll try someone else to see if they know. Do let us know what they say about horses back out at McIntosh.

ChocoMare
Apr. 9, 2010, 10:06 AM
Hmmmm, just read that article. I wouldn't be holding my breath for horses returning any time soon. :sigh:

FatCatFarm
Apr. 9, 2010, 01:46 PM
Has anyone ridden over at Wedowee, AL. May be heading over there Sunday for a bit.

pj
Apr. 9, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hmmmm, just read that article. I wouldn't be holding my breath for horses returning any time soon. :sigh::(
I thought the same thing.

pj
Apr. 9, 2010, 05:11 PM
Has anyone ridden over at Wedowee, AL. May be heading over there Sunday for a bit.

OH MY GOSH!! What's in Wedowee to ride now?

:) As a youngster I had lots of family there and they had lots of land and you could ride anywhere you wanted to anyhow. It was a horse lovers dream.
One fond memory I have is being allowed at eight years old to ride my mare from Wedowee to Roan Oak to have her shod. I was sooooo proud, felt so grown up and responsible until I spotted my Uncle way back down the road trailing me in his truck. Guess he didn't think that I was THAT grown up and responsible. I only got to spend some summers there with a weekend here and there through the winter but I always felt that place was home. Bet it's so different now, it's been fifty years since I've been there.

pnalley
Apr. 9, 2010, 08:49 PM
My brother inlaw has 40 acres in Wedowee. It is on the backside of nowhere. The last time I was out there there wasn't any power lines for miles. I think he would be fine with people parking there. From what I remeber you could ride the dirt roads forever. I'll see what I can find out about it. And try to find out if it is still as rural as I remember.

PJ that is a really sweet story:)

FatCatFarm
Apr. 9, 2010, 09:01 PM
I don't have the details yet. A friend of mine knows the details.

pnalley
Apr. 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
Here's a bunch of places to ride:
http://www.n-georgia.com/horsebac.htm

Also look here for WMA's
http://www.n-georgia.com/horsebac.htm

Possibley fatcat was at either Standing boy Or West Point

Lets see how many of these places we can try out and report back:)

FatCatFarm
Apr. 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
Where is the description on those two in your links? I missed them somehow. Thanks.

pnalley
Apr. 10, 2010, 03:18 PM
It would helpful if I had actually included 2 links. Here is the other one.

http://www.n-georgia.com/wildlife.htm#West-Point

64 Standing-Boy-Creek-State-Park - 478-994-1438
Amenities: Hunting, Hiking, Bird Watching - Located 3 miles north of Columbus
Standing Boy Creek Map

65 West Point WMA - 478-825-6354
Amenities: 10,000 acres. Hunting, Firearms Shooting Range, Interpretive Trail, Fishing, Hiking, Bird Watching, Field Trail Access
Located 5 miles north of LaGrange - West Point WMA Map

FatCatFarm
Apr. 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hmmm... I know it's not standing boy; could be West Point though at the Northern end. Supposed to ride it tomorrow again.

pnalley
Apr. 10, 2010, 10:41 PM
Take some paper so you can tell us how to get in there. We can take our risks on riding:cool:

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
What is the terrian at West Point? My horse is barefoot and I was wondering if he needed boots?

FatCatFarm
Apr. 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
Rugged in alot of places and there is a fair amount of rocks on some of the roads. Trails through the woods are good with not alot of deadfall. I didn't go today because we had something come up here at home. No one has seen fit to give me directions either despite asking twice. Aggravating as I hate no knowing where I am and how to get back if needed.

FatCatFarm
Apr. 11, 2010, 02:09 PM
Okay, got frustrated and clicked on the link for the West Point WMA then compared it to the roads in area on Google Maps and this is what I come up with:

Going to Franklin from Newnan on 34, you get to the Stop Sign at 27 and go straight on River Street and stay on until River Street crosses 100 and becomes South River Rd. 100 is also called LaGrange Street in Franklin. Go straight you should come the Snake Creek Recreation area on the right. Right past that should be the wildlife management area. South River Rd. dead-ends to Pike Rd right in the middle of the management area. I'm wondering if we could park at the Snake Creek Rec area? If you turn right onto Pike Rd where South River Rd. deadends into it, Pike make a big loop and turns back onto itself. Check a map out. The WMA is not on Google though.

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 13, 2010, 08:59 AM
I am getting a tour of McIntosh on Friday and plan on taking many pictures. I will post them on my facebook page Equestrians of McIntosh and try to link it here for everyone to see if you do not have Facebook. If that does not work maybe the great Chocomare can post them here!

I am also going to ask when the think horses may be allowed back in. I plan on giving ya'll a full report:D Anybody have any questions they want me to ask?

FatCatFarm
Apr. 13, 2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks! Will be interested to see photos. I'm just curious about the condition of the other trails on much higher ground and if they were impacted much and if not, why the horseback riders can't at least have access to those back?

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:21 AM
I took my tour of McIntosh yesterday and it was not as bad as expected. Darryl, the park manager, said that the park looked worse before it started to green up. The damage is contained to the lower section of the park.

The big field was covered in water during the flood and even had carp swimming in it. It is now covered in weeds and filled with trash and branches. The river trail has severe erosion and is unsafe in several areas. In fact, if you are standing looking at the river, and go to the left on the river trail, once you cross the bridge you loose the trail and it is just a large sandy beach. All the brush that was along the river is now gone and the river itself is wider.

Darryl said there were some areas where the water reached 20feet high and many trees showed the signs of mud and water marks. There will be some volunteer days in May to help clean up the park. I will post it here so everyone can help.

The best news is that if all goes as planned horses can come back on Memorial Day!!!! We may have to stick to the upper areas of the park but we will be able to ride more than half of it!!!! YAY!!!

pnalley
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:48 AM
That is good news. Near the river just past that bridge always did worry me a bit with the erosion it had then. I'd love to be able to see a slide show of it from flood time to now.

BTW has anyone been to Boundary Waters since the flood?

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
Pnally I am going today to Boundary and I will let you know how it is.

ChocoMare
Apr. 17, 2010, 02:46 PM
So glad to hear we just might get to re-christen the horse trails Memorial Day Weekend.

Will be awaiting the report from Boundary.

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
Boundary was great! There were no issues on the part FatCat and I were on. We stayed on the red trail. I may go again tomorrow with John and will let ya'll know how the rest of the park is is we go.

pnalley
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:05 AM
That is GOOD News!

glimmerling
Apr. 19, 2010, 10:22 AM
Boundary Waters is awesome. It's free and there's tons of trailer parking. Management is very friendly and the trails are well maintained. We haven't even missed McIntosh being closed, we'd rather go to Boundary any day. We went last week and stayed all day even had a cookout. There's even an indoor swim park right next door if you want to go swimming to cool off between rides. Whenever we've been there's never been more than 1 or 2 walkers on on the trails and maybe 1 or 2 other groups of riders. Quiet and the ride by the Chattahoochee is so pretty. Can't say enough good things about BW.

pnalley
Apr. 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
We enjoy BW too. But with the bridge on 166 out, there was no easy way for us to get there. I'm glad to hear the trails are good to ride on after the flood.

spotnnotfarm
Apr. 19, 2010, 06:14 PM
pnalley are you talking about the bridge on 166 in Douglas County? It has re-opened. That is one reason I stayed away from Boundary for so long. All bridges are now fixed.

pnalley
Apr. 20, 2010, 10:19 AM
I had heard the bridge on 166 was fixed. I was just waiting on a report that the trails were good. This weekend we are going down to Mule Days. I have been told it's a private farm with loads of pretty trails. Possibly we can get their (BW) sometime next week