PDA

View Full Version : IV Polyglycan injections in place of Adequan and Legend?

Addison
Mar. 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
IV injection of Polyglycan is considered off label use as the drug is used for post surgical joint lavage. My vet has recommended its use as a once a month IV injection to replace Adequan and Legend. He uses it on his high performance horses and suggested I give it a try.

I am not treating any problem but rather trying to offer a good alternative to feed through supplements for my hunter. The price is about a third of monthly Legend and Adequan injections.

Has anyone else tried or heard of such use of Polyglycan?

cmdrcltr
Mar. 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
My vet also recommends this as an alternative to feed through supplements.

On his recommendation I used it on my last horse (a Morgan--TL dressage, trail, pleasure to ride kind of guy) when he was recovering from a back injury caused, we think, by a slip and/or fall in an icy paddock.

I've also used it on my new horse as a "preventative" when he is in hard work. I look at it this way, the shot costs me the same as a month's worth of a top supplement, and realistically I have no idea how much the supplement actually is absorbed.

That said, I'm not sure it is an exact replacement for Adequan or Legend, and if my horse had a diagnosed injury or arthritic condition I might choose those instead.

Timex
Mar. 28, 2010, 06:23 PM
we just had a horse get iv polyglycan yesterday. we'll see if it makes any difference. the horse has some minor arthritic changes, and we just want to make her a little more comfortable, and this was the vet's recomendation. so we'll have to see how she feels in a couple of days!

Addison
Mar. 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
TIMEX I would really like to know how the horse responds... I hope she has good luck with it.

Pookah
Mar. 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
I think that with all joint supplements, you have to experiment a bit--all horses respond a bit differently, and one horse might do best with Adequan while another does best with Legend, etc. My vet started recommending IV polyglycan about a year ago, and fortunately, both of mine have responded fabulously well to it. I honestly feel like they are more comfortable and go longer between hock injections than they did on Adequan. Possibly one of the only times a cheaper solution has ever worked better for my horses :-)

Leather
Mar. 28, 2010, 07:25 PM
injection of Polyglycan is considered off label use as the drug is used for post surgical joint lavage.

Small nitpick--polyglycan isn't actually approved as a drug.

It's considered a medical device because it does not achieve its purpose as a joint lavage through chemical action or by being metabolized by the body.

In the numerous threads here debating polyglycan/chondroprotec vs. adequan, the results are mixed.

One vet's experiences:
http://www.ctrdvm.com/html/medications_adequan.html

Addison
Mar. 28, 2010, 08:34 PM
LEATHER you are correct, technically not a drug when used as a joint lavage. I think either Adequan or Legend works by steric hinderance as well so maybe that is why polyglycan may be useful when administered systemically.

specialK
Mar. 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
we used polyglycan IV for a couple of years in an event horse who is older and my daughter was competiting CCI* . The horse had no major issues other than age and I really do think the polyglycan made a big difference in terms of over all stiffness. At NAJYRCs last year he was one of only 3 horses who made it around xc and SJ with no faults at all. I know its been used on the tracks for quite a few years with very good results.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 29, 2010, 12:21 AM
One vet's experiences:
http://www.ctrdvm.com/html/medications_adequan.html

I actually use Craig Roberts as my Sports Med Vet and he def knows his stuff. He was chief of Sports Med at Peterson and Smith some years ago and now has his own private practice.

I personally use Adequan & not polyglycan.

flyracing
Mar. 29, 2010, 01:19 AM
That article has nothing to do with polyclycan. You cannot substitute polyclycan for chondroprotect in that article just because they are both "devices" that are used off-label in place of adequan.

Polyglycan is not a substitute for adequan, they do not work the same. Instead I think people call it an alternative because some horses may respond to one that doesn't respond to the other. Plolyglycan can more reasonably be used as a substitute for legend because polyglycan has HA in it in addition to other ingredients.

For my horse with long standing mild arthritis, legend and adequan was not making any difference. Polyglycan makes a huge difference! I give it 2cc for 2 days and then 1cc on the third day. I get a longer response for some reason this way. Given in one dose it was lasting for about a week, this way I get about 3 weeks before it starts fading. I cannot speculate why.

My horse no longer gets oral HA, glucosamine, or chondrointon. He does get MSM however.

PNWjumper
Mar. 29, 2010, 01:21 AM
I often use Polyglycan (IV) before horseshows where my horses will be pushed pretty hard. It definitely makes a difference with my mare who was (and is) showing at the top of her scope range. It didn't make much of a difference for my gelding, but then he hasn't had to try terribly hard over the fences we've been doing yet.

As others have mentioned, results will vary by horse. It doesn't hurt to try, and it's definitely worth it if it works for your horse.

SkipHiLad4me
Mar. 29, 2010, 10:15 AM
My vet recommended the polyglycan to me recently as well to help treat some hock arthritis in my 20 yr old gelding, in addition to the oral supps he was already receiving. I decided to go the Adequan route first to see if it would help because it was the cheapest option for me. The shots are about $42/each but I can give them myself. Because the polyglycan shots are IV and my vet is particular about who she allows to give IV shots (which is fine because I don't know how to do them!), she or her vet tech would need to come out once a month to give them for me. So even though the polyglycan shots were cheaper for me to purchase, I'd be paying a farm call fee on top of the price of the shot every month.

Fortunately, we've finished the loading dose of Adequan and that seems to have brought some relief to my horse. If it hadn't, I would have tried the polyglycan next.

Timex
Mar. 31, 2010, 04:17 PM
TIMEX I would really like to know how the horse responds... I hope she has good luck with it.

well, the vet gave the mare her polyglycan on Saturday, and today was her first day back in work (damn rain!) and she seemed a lot more comfortable. was able to carry herself straighter, didn't try the little hop at the canter like she sometimes will, and just felt a ton better to ride. so we'll see how she goes from here!

Addison
Mar. 31, 2010, 06:08 PM
TIMEX...that's really great news for you and your horse. I hope you continue to see such good results. My mare just got her first injection today and I hope it will keep her comfortable and take care of her joints too.

Thanks for the update.

purplnurpl
Mar. 31, 2010, 07:09 PM
I would not use anything that does not have research and results.

I think often these supplements run off of placebo effect.

I would try Legend before anything else. Then at least you know your $$$ is going towards something that has a chace at working.

roxy527
Mar. 31, 2010, 08:29 PM
on my 20 yr old retired jumper and not only do I think it works, I inject it IM.

I also inject his upper & lower hocks & stifles w/ it 2x a year and have had great success.