PDA

View Full Version : U.S. bred Grand Prix Dressage Horses?

pasturepal
Mar. 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
What U.S. bred horses have been successful at Grand Prix dressage and what was their breeding?

TouchstoneAcres
Mar. 27, 2010, 08:04 PM
Conversano II Aloha II by Conversano II Erica out of Aloha, a Lipizzan.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Mar. 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Olivier (ridden/owned by Elizabeth Austin) was bred in VT, I believe. Breeding is Idocus x Rowillie (dutch breeding).

StarDoozer
Mar. 28, 2010, 07:58 AM
Exciting news- Olivier is now ranked #100 in the world on the FEI Rankings!

NoDQhere
Mar. 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
Meisterwind. Trakehner, by Donauwind, out of Magissa by Mahagoni.

pintopiaffe
Mar. 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
Keen, TB-Olympics
Seldom Seen, Connemara X TB-Olympics
Brilliant, (aka Zool) (Poulins) who I am not sure of his breeding, SwedishX?
Bombadier (aka Boomer) Olympic Alternate(Poulins) not sure of his bloodlines
Boleem was US bred, wasn't he SID?

And those are just the ones I've actually MET ;)

Harry Callahan is competing FEI successfully and still moving up... wait for it... ASB!!! :cool:

Ta'ez -Arabian

TouchstoneAcres
Mar. 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
Aloha mare line--Almerina II, Almerina, Servola.
Damsire was Pluto III Platana at Tempel Farms. P. III Platana gave such beautiful head and eyes and neck to his get. His sire was Pluto Ancona, son of Pluto XX given to Patton. I saw a picture of Arthur Konyot riding him.
Almerina's sire was F. Mara XIX from Lipizza, where he stud at stud before
coming to Tempel.
The stallions performed at Tempel, inaugural parades, and other exhibitions. I don't know if they showed competitively as some do today.
Tempel Farms could give you more information on the horses.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 28, 2010, 01:33 PM
Congratulations to Olivier. Super accomplishment!

Boleem is actually Dutch bred, and was Licensed in Holland before import.

lindac
Mar. 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
Harry Callahan is competing FEI successfully and still moving up... wait for it... ASB!!! :cool:

Harry made it to Grand Prix a couple years ago scoring up to 65.5% with Chrissa Hoffmann.

I just heard a couple weeks ago that he and his new amateur owner scored 63% at I-2 in Florida. :)

Harry's sire was the #1 sire of American Saddlebred show horses for years.. Supreme Heir, and his dam was a great grandaughter of the great Five Gaited World Champion Yorktown.

pintopiaffe
Mar. 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
Well, my bad on both. I didn't know Bo was imported,

And I guess I missed both that Harry had gone all the way--and that he was sold. He certainly is an ambassador for AMERICAN BREED American breds. winkgrin:

Ta,ez, Arabian. ;)

pintopiaffe
Mar. 28, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hilda Gurney certainly has has several more since Keen. Including a NSH. :yes:

D_BaldStockings
Mar. 28, 2010, 05:43 PM
Saddlebreds are not new to the dressage world, nor really surprising:

Chuck Grant "the father of American Dressage" and trainer of 17 Grand Prix horses
http://www.usdf.org/halloffame/inductees/profiles/grant.asp

used a 1/2 SB mare as a personal exhibition horse in the 60's and 70's, Shining Gold
http://www.shineabit.com/
go to gallery
circus bow shining gold

anther 1/2 Saddlebred was dam of Grand Prix shown Prussian Dudley
go to gallery
pas de deux

who 'was born here at Shine-A-Bit Farm in 1972. His mother, Prussian Annie, was Trakhaner/Saddlebred and his sire, Prussian Gold also Trakhaner/Saddlebred. Prussian Gold's dam was Shine-O-Bit. We retired Dudley in 1991 although he was still going strong and performing exhibitions from coast to coast.'

Bit-o-shine was 1/4 Saddlebred
go to gallery
leg extension

Mr. Grant was determined that American riders could be mounted on American horses.

DreamTime
Mar. 28, 2010, 06:30 PM
Our homebred gelding Raison d'Etre by Regulus out of an American TB mare is currently winning at GP with Elly Schobel.

Carolin Walz
www.dreamtimefarm.com

Daydream Believer
Mar. 28, 2010, 08:53 PM
What about Elizabeth Madlener's horses Gulliver and Jonathan Swift. I think they were both TB's.

There was Moga with Jaye Cherry...an appy.

Crescendo...Appy/Lippizan ridden by Sharon Rowe.

Seldom Seen of course...one of the greats as was Keen, and American TB.

I'm sure there are number more I just can't think of them off hand.

Oh...wasn't there a BLM Mustang also? JB Andrew.

I found this cool site with all sorts of horses on there.

http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008/04/non-warmbloods-in-dressage-breath-of.html

twotrudoc
Mar. 28, 2010, 10:08 PM
Phirst Solo (now retired), Hungarian mare bred by Charlene Summers of Summervale Farm, shown by Jennifer Schrader-Williams.

HS Wistar, Hungarian stallion, bred by Charlene Summers of Summervale Farm, shown by Jennifer Schrader-Williams.

HS Warado is a son of HS Wistar, currently at 4th, coming along nicely winning everything :)

Also, HS Wrevolution, bred by Charlene Summers and now owned and shown by Jennifer Schrader-Williams is an amazing Grand Prix prospect. He is showing extremely well his second year in CA right now :D He is stunning!

His video is under the pics and scores-
http://www.summervalefarm.com/geldings.htm

Summervale Farm site
http://www.summervalefarm.com/index.htm

shall
Mar. 30, 2010, 12:50 AM
SERR MAARINER a Straight Egyptian Babson Arabian

IBN FA-SERR x MAARENA

Serr Mariner went all the way to Grand Prix and scored high enough so that Gail could earn her personal USDF (US Dressage Federation) silver and gold medals with him. The gold is for scores at Intermedierre I, II, and Grand Prix.- C Lyons, AKHorsemen, 2/21/2002.

Competed at Grand Prix Level Dressage.

1980: U.S. National, Top Ten, Level I Dressage. U.S. National, Champion, Level II Dressage.

1981: U.S. National, Reserve Champion, Level II Dressage. U.S. National, Champion, Level III Dressage.

1982: U.S. National, Reserve Champion, Level III Dressage. U.S. National, Champion, Level IV Dressage.

Cowgirl
Mar. 30, 2010, 04:54 AM
Here is the mustang, JB Andrew's story: http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/interview/oldies/jbandrew.html While he was trained to grand prix, Kelly didn't get to show him at that level because of an injury. Kelly put his welfare before her competitive goals. Andy went on to give longe lessons to a number of local riders, including my neice.

It's a remarkable story and Kelly is a remarkable person.

Another US born and bred grand prix horse is Arabella, trained and ridden to Grand Prix by Heather Blitz. http://www.mseda.org/node/318

carolprudm
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:03 AM
Back in the 70's or 80's Linda Oliver had 2 American bred GP horses Pinchbeck Lord Peter 7/8 TB 1/8 Perch and Gabrielle TB, who was later sold to Kathy Connely (sp?). She is the gray mare in an early dressage video.

Daydream Believer
Mar. 30, 2010, 09:29 AM
Carol,

I remember that horse Pinchbeck Lord Peter. I watched her ride him at Potomac Horse Center a few times. I always thought he was a WB...I did not realize he was a draft cross. Interesting!

TWF
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:09 AM
Grande Celeste (1995)- Grande Saber - Zenobia by LaCapo (Full older sister to the immortal FlemmingH)
Premium foal, 2nd at DAD as a foal multiple Champion in breeding in hand and U/S classes. Grande Celeste Horse of the Year Oldenburg, Premium mare, trained and shown Grand Prix by her owner Terry Seiss.

SGray
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:18 AM
Otto and Arabella - both by Rambo

carolprudm
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:23 AM
Carol,

I remember that horse Pinchbeck Lord Peter. I watched her ride him at Potomac Horse Center a few times. I always thought he was a WB...I did not realize he was a draft cross. Interesting!

Her sister did some of the early training on him and she let me ride him once. OMG, what a change from my pony! They lived across the street from us when we lived in Great Falls

yaya
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:49 AM
Scrabble - Arabian by Monopolii

Gambler and Ricotta - Danish Warmblood by Rambo

esdressage
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:57 AM
Scrabble - Arabian by Monopolii

How nice to see an Arabian in the group!!!

mjhco
Mar. 30, 2010, 11:08 AM
OKW Entrigue (Arabian by Allience)

And a few more.

byrtness
Mar. 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
Klassic! Grand Prix with Nancy Chandler-Conrey.
Gelding, Bred and born at Iron Spring Farm, Pennsylvania. Sire: Rolls Royce

mjhco
Mar. 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
Special Envoy (Anglo Arab owned and bred by Friendship Farms a LONG time ago)

In the Black (Carol Lavell )

KOBOR KINSCEM (Sharon Schneidman)

Sky Pilot (TB / draft cross)

Caught Red Handed (American Thoroughbred)

esdressage
Mar. 30, 2010, 12:06 PM
OKW Entrigue (Arabian by Allience)

Oooh, I like him. I'm bookmarking stallions I like in case I eventually decide to breed my Arabian mare and want to research studs. He's duly bookmarked.

not again
Mar. 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
"His sire was Pluto Ancona, son of Pluto XX given to Patton. I saw a picture of Arthur Konyot riding him. "

I have photos of Klaus Albin riding him from way back when! He was Klaus' favorite at Tempel Farms.

cyndi
Mar. 30, 2010, 12:21 PM
I do not know his breeding, but a friend of mine, Bonney Epstein, trained her TB gelding, Golden Bandit, from 'zero' to Grand Prix, earning her bronze/silver/gold medals along the way. And he was her first dressage horse!

twotrudoc
Mar. 30, 2010, 01:11 PM
This is great - but is this really all we have bred? Any U.S. breeders out there who have had bred horses that went on to Grand Prix success?

Well, I would call being listed for the Olympics success. I would also call getting sent to Germany to train and compete with Haddad success (Ramsay Award)?? :confused:

nomoregrays
Mar. 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
I do not know his breeding, but a friend of mine, Bonney Epstein, trained her TB gelding, Golden Bandit, from 'zero' to Grand Prix, earning her bronze/silver/gold medals along the way. And he was her first dressage horse!

Wow! That's impressive. Congratulations to your friend and her horse.

twotrudoc
Mar. 30, 2010, 05:46 PM
I think you misunderstood - I think they are all successful! I just meant there must be more. Imagine if this question were asked about German or Dutch breeders. I know we can't match their numbers - but there must be more.

Ahhh...I see :) I was like...what????? LOL!!

Well, the US got a later start at it, that's all :cool:

TWF
Mar. 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
They have accurate recording of every horse too.

pintopiaffe
Mar. 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
TWF beat me to it.

The BIG difference between the US and other countries in horses is that the other countries have FAR better records.

I would dare say that many if not most of our Olympic horses in the years before the 90's were American bred.

We don't have a way, really, of tracking that though.

When people dis' AWS for recording crossbred geldings, and 'accepting' everything, they are not understanding that this is what German Verbands like RPSI do--not everything is "APPROVED" for breeding, but at least they are recorded and tracked, for THEIR countries.

I'd be interested in all the WB's mentioned above--how many got CREDIT for being US bred? Most probably were inspected/recorded/approved with a Euro registry, and there went the credit.

The system in the US isn't perfect, but until people start RECORDING and REGISTERING US bred & born horses IN THE US, we won't ever really know how many of the top successes are US.

One example, Luar is a Lusitano. While standing in NH or MA, he sired a colt in Oz (not sure if semen was shipped or FOAL was exported) Who gets credit for the foal? Not Oz, or even the US, but Portugal. ... :uhoh:

Add to that a huge predjudice from "sport horse/warmblood (small "W") registries and verbands etc. for AMERICAN BREEDS...

it's a mess at times.

not again
Mar. 30, 2010, 07:24 PM
My list:
Le Bleme (tried out for the 1968 Olympic Team) OTTB, reg. name Legros Bill
Valentino TB, reg. named Wirbold
Able Spirit, by Abundance out of Today I'm Trying xx, AWR
Again and Again, by Abundance out of Nobody Much xx, AWR
Double Bounce, by Dekor out of Today I'm Trying xx, AWR
Alacazam, by Again and Again out of Call me Kate xx, AWR
Waldaire, by Waldgott out of Aries. licensed AWR
Current projects:
Atreo, by Adamant out of Dynasty, AWR
Smart, by South American Way xx out of Aurora, AWR
Artesian, by Again and Again out of Aly Alice, AWR

tabula rashah
Mar. 31, 2010, 07:09 AM
Okay, so this one was a while ago- by my previous instructor's father was a member of the 1932 bronze medal Olympic team riding the TB mare American Lady :)

Maude
Mar. 31, 2010, 08:00 AM
Connecticut Yankee aka Ward Eight. He was a TB and represented the US in the Stockholm Olympics.

elly
Mar. 31, 2010, 08:06 AM
Isn't it amazing how many TBs have represented the US at international Championships in dressage.

WBLover
Mar. 31, 2010, 08:42 AM
Cyndi, didn't Bonney used to post on one of these boards? I remember her stories and pics of Bandit and getting him to GP. I LOVED following their progress. How is she and Bandit doing? Is he still going strong? Does she have another horse to bring along? She was truly an inspiration to us all, an amateur who did it all on her own!!

War Admiral
Apr. 3, 2010, 08:34 PM
Isn't it amazing how many TBs have represented the US at international Championships in dressage.

Not really... They were Podhajsky's breed of choice, too. :yes:

EqTrainer
Apr. 3, 2010, 09:15 PM
Who knows how many of them are out there. For so very long talented QHs and TB's were relabeled WB's. :lol: Now that there are better tracking systems in place it is not as common but it probably still happens.

karin o
Apr. 6, 2010, 11:03 PM
Are you listing horses that competed in GP or CDI GP ?

If there are some stallions here that can be placed on our CDI Grand Prix Stallion List....can they be passed onto me ? Appreciate your help, Karin Offield