PDA

View Full Version : I totally dislike my boots

Merche2
Mar. 27, 2010, 08:10 PM
Ok, so last June I purchased a new pair of Petries Dressage boots. I knew it was going to take me a while to get them broken into and blah blah blah, but a year later, I still feel like I am riding with two wooden blocks!!! My trainer says that they will get better, but in the mean time, I can't feel my horse when I ride! Anyone else had this problem with Petries or am I a freak of nature? Any other brand of boots that you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciate it! Oh yeah, as everyone these days, I am on a budget so... spending a huge amount of money on new boots will mean spending more money on a divorce! so....:winkgrin:

Quest52
Mar. 27, 2010, 08:51 PM
How often do you ride a week?

dwblover
Mar. 27, 2010, 08:57 PM
Well, they do break in somewhat with time (I've had mine for two years). However, Petries are never going to feel soft. They are a very stiff boot designed to stay stiff. You may need a different model, I believe the 3000's are softer than say the Anky Elegance.

vbunny
Mar. 27, 2010, 09:02 PM
Have you soaked them? I like to soak my boots and wear them around, that makes a big difference. Also, I don't know if it's the done thing in the DQ world, but I love my Ariats :). I have never had a boot wear in so comfortably.

Hampton Bay
Mar. 27, 2010, 09:21 PM
I have the Petrie 300's, and they were downright painful for a long time. Some decent conditioning helped a lot, as did putting in a zipper (the extra 1/4" in the calf made a HUGE difference). My feet no longer go numb in them.

If they hurt behind the knee, you can take a wet washcloth and drape it over the back. Once that part is nice and wet, bend it and work the leather there. Then oil the heck out of it once it dries, just right behind the knee.

Mine really were miserable before the zipper. They never did fit on my leg all the way, so the heel rubbed something horrible.

Barbara_F
Mar. 27, 2010, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your boots- that's so aggravating.
I used to use quite stiff boots and I always felt like I was riding in stove pipes. I then switched to Cavallos (semi-custom) with zippers. I get the boots "Medium" stiffness, which is plenty - and the zippers make all the difference in the world, as I no longer have to strain by back to get my boots on.

caper
Mar. 27, 2010, 11:29 PM
I'd love to get my hands on some Cavallos but the strain on my pocket book is just unimagineable.
I'd need custom due to my wide calf and short stumpy legs. Sucks to be short/me.
I even tried Ariat Maestro Pros and their version of a wide calf doesn't even come close--not to mention they were too tall. I ended up walking like Frankenstein.
Back to my field boots... :(

EasyStreet
Mar. 27, 2010, 11:37 PM
I bought a used pair of them and they are still stiff. Mine feel better to ride in than to walk in for me.. the heel wrap around structure was cutting into my ankle bone. I put in a fairly thick sole liner and got some relief from it. Deep knee bends while wrapping legs cut into the back of my knees and stop the circulation.If I have to do alot of walking...to arena and back several times... they fatigue my legs. I would rather school in my paddock boots and half chaps, but trainer pooh pooh that. :( I hope yours get "broke in" for you soon. We have enough to think about while we ride without our boots bugging us huh?

xQHDQ
Mar. 28, 2010, 08:38 AM
I love my Petries and hated my Cavallos. I put a soft footbed (I bought Ariats but I'm sure anything from the drug store would work) in the Petries and I can now wear them all day.

I ended up selling my Cavallos on Ebay. Check there. It is possible that someone has legs like yours. If not already presented, ask for lots of measurements to make sure.

Good luck.

Tangerine Farmer
Mar. 28, 2010, 05:37 PM
I hate my Petrie Elegance! $850 worth, just sitting in the corner. I use my old off the rack Dehners for shows and lessons. They don't have the nice leather, and shine, but I can feel when my leg touches the side of my horse. Those super stiff fancy ones are soo stiff I can't be sensitive with my aids. I feel like Frankenstein, lumbering along.

I should sell them, but I see the price has come down in the Dover catalog. Is this due to the economy or because people don't like them?????

carolprudm
Mar. 29, 2010, 08:56 AM
I would rather school in my paddock boots and half chaps, but trainer pooh pooh that. :( I hope yours get "broke in" for you soon. We have enough to think about while we ride without our boots bugging us huh?

LOL, I thought I was the only one, except I don't wear half chaps either

ASB Stars
Mar. 29, 2010, 09:21 AM
The first time I wore a pair, I cursed and carried on, and mentioned- repeatedly- that I felt like my legs were encased in stove pipe.

I still feel that way, but I also understand the benefits of them.

I do not ride in them consistently, any more. So, if I have to put them on- LOOK OUT! :lol:

Dressage_Julie
Mar. 29, 2010, 11:17 AM
New boots are the worst! Breaking them in takes forever unless you are riding multiple horses each day. The best thing you can do is wear them around, even when not riding. Get them to mold to your leg.

SandyUHC
Mar. 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
I hated mine (super stiff Konigs) and was in absolute agony every time I wore them no matter what I did the first year or two -- moleskin, heel lifts, the whole nine yards. Finally decided that I didn't care anymore about being cool about suffering through breaking them in and sent them to EuroAmerican Saddlery to have them shortened. According to the measurements I sent them they were TWO WHOLE INCHES TOO TALL! No wonder I hated them.

DON'T soak them in water but do make sure they are the correct height for you. And if they don't have zips, have them put in, definitely worth it. Then don't fight the stiff, they are that way for a reason.
: - )

Elegante E
Mar. 29, 2010, 04:39 PM
Have Konigs rotting in my closet as well. Would love to have them shortened as I "was told" that they would break down but they never did. Down right impossible as they are the extra stiff version. Would love to hunt down the saleswoman who talked me into them and wack her with those stupidly stiff boots.

I adore my mountain horse boots. The fancier versions are stiffer than the original nicer ones without feeling like you have cardboard around your legs. If you can't buy them in your calf width, then try the Ariats which are softer than the fancier brands. Have heard that some of the zippers aren't as good but zippers can be replaced if they break.

analise
Mar. 29, 2010, 05:03 PM
If you have a wide calf, don't try the Ariats. Mountain Horse's wide calf is wider than the Ariats.

I'm quite fond of my Mountain Horse boots and the pricetag was fairly agreeable, especially considering I don't show very often (and only do local stuff when I do).

floortje
Mar. 29, 2010, 05:17 PM
i love my petrie's...finally.
i have field boots with a zipper up the back.
they were horrible to ride in at first, just like ASB Stars said, it felt like i had stovepipes around my legs. It took chasing after a loose horse, forgetting to take them off before walking kilometers in search of food, and hours of riding to finally break them in. I never soaked mine to break them in, but the people at the tack store gave me leather softener and that worked pretty well.Also, i wore mine outside during the summer, and the heat your body generates makes the leather softer and i think it helped to break them in faster for me.
i ride in them everyday now and absolutly love them :)
i hope you find a pair that works well for you, could you go to a tack store and try on all the different brands? that way you can feel how stiff/soft the different types are? :)

kookicat
Mar. 29, 2010, 05:21 PM
I bought a used pair of them and they are still stiff. Mine feel better to ride in than to walk in for me.. the heel wrap around structure was cutting into my ankle bone. I put in a fairly thick sole liner and got some relief from it. Deep knee bends while wrapping legs cut into the back of my knees and stop the circulation.If I have to do alot of walking...to arena and back several times... they fatigue my legs. I would rather school in my paddock boots and half chaps, but trainer pooh pooh that. :( I hope yours get "broke in" for you soon. We have enough to think about while we ride without our boots bugging us huh?

Maybe I'm just a wimp, but I won't ride in any boots that hurt me. I'd tell my trainer to deal with the short boots and chaps until I could get some comfortable boots.

OP, you should check out the Mountain Horse boots. I've always found them to be very comfortable, they're not too expensive and they hold up great! :)

Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind having such stiff boots? It seems counter-productive to me.

Trevelyan96
Mar. 29, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'm a total wuss and got custom super soft french leather with zips from LaMudial. Love them! For schooling I also have a pair of Ariat Hunters. They're a little stiffer, but still comfy. For the price, I consider them both disposable.

I am just so over trying to break in super stiff boots. I'm also a shortie, with teeny ankles and somewhere between a regular and wide calf. The only off the shelf that fits are the Ariats, but I do have to have the calf streched a bit when new. The wides are always too wide at the top, can't stand the 'gaping' look at the top of my boots.

Belle12
Mar. 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
I bought new Petrie's, they broke in fine and were very comfortable. But after 2 years, I realized that I HATED THEM!!!! I didn't like their stiffness, my lack of feel of the horse, and the awkwardness of using my leg aids. I sold them to a friend, and bought Mountain Horse Dress boots, and love them so much. I know they probably don't look as chic, but I feel so much better. Mountain Horse even has some brand new dress boots for just over $200 in Dover's catalog that look really nice!

bathsheba8542
Mar. 29, 2010, 09:15 PM
I gave up after years of trying to find something that would fit my weird feet and legs..bit the (financial) bullet and purchased custom Dehners...12 years later, they still fit great, have never hurt, wear like iron, and are gorgeous!

Elegante E
Mar. 29, 2010, 09:42 PM
All the pros I know love stiff boots because they force a quiet leg. Helps the rider relax which is good when you are riding multiple horses. My problem is mine are so round, they push my leg away from the horse and it's an effort to use put it on. There is an inbetween that is nice, just hard to find it.

It's interesting as ze Germans seem to love stiff while Spanish love soft.