PDA

View Full Version : Are you here? Inspiration

pintopiaffe
Mar. 26, 2010, 09:39 PM
Ages ago... a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, known as the Cool Breeze BB... or perhaps even before then, on the old USDF board before the Y2K bug struck (and ironically--the ONLY place I knew of that it struck... :uhoh: :lol: )

There was a poster who talked about bringing her daughter's large pony up the levels, precisely BECAUSE it was her daughter's large pony (cob/hony/whatever) and there was no 'pressure' involved. She trained the cob to the movements and PLAYED. The cob decided to play along... They were doing all the P's and having a blast. Maybe not 100% correctly, or 8's and 9's in the show ring, but quite presentably--and having fun and learning along the way.

For years now, probably close to a decade, I've held that bit of wisdom close to the vest. I take myself, and my uber-talented little stallion FAR too seriously lots of times. ("He'd be FEI by now with someone else," "He has the mind and movement to go all the way with someone with an indoor so he didn't get half the year off..." etc. etc. JUDGES opinions. But he's MINE. And I LOFF him. And he's sparkly and my mid-life-crisis pretty pony... :lol: :uhoh: )

I got on the SillyFilly yest'dy, with nary a prep (she who's been ridden less than a handful of times) and just thought what FUN to be on the FOURTH generation. If she only is an Up-Down lesson pony for special students, I'll be happy... and then, something reminded me... OR... I could just PLAY. PLAY and DANCE and have FUN.

And whomever that poster was, way back then... I wish I remembered who you are/were. You gave me back a lot of the joy and hope I lost when I decided to GO FOR IT to the highest levels... ;)

Thanks. I take myself, and dressage far too seriously sometimes. It is Art for me... It inspires me... but sometimes, dancing is disco. And there's no shame in that. ;)

Reiter
Mar. 26, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, us dressage folk do get a bit uptight at times! ;)
Go play, have fun and sometimes things will just happen...

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 26, 2010, 09:59 PM
Funny you should bring this up :)

So we had a mare and she was my *sparkly pony* that I was IN LOVE WITH, and my gelding was on the back burner doing trail rides and hunters and just being fat :) One day my mare (who was getting extremely fit and was already a rather large moving horse) decided to show me what she could do when she didnt want to work in collection, buck, bolt, rear, not in that order. She did this with such zest that she was the first horse I actually got off and scratched my head, and didnt WANT to get back on.

Fast forward about a year. We had tried it all, and eventually she became a very good jumper instead.

I was actually happy with the arrangment because she was too much horse for me, and because she loved it, but all my work???

SO, I had to return to my first dressage horse and take my lessons with him.

Honestly, I went at it like a mountain lion lol, I SET OUT to get him in shape, and quick lol

He quickly became as grumpy, as I became more neurotic :lol:

Soon the basics were beyond him and I, and I even lost simple transitions :eek:

This year, I was pushed backwards so fast and hard I had no choice but to stop and smell the roses!

It was the best thing Ive ever done (been forced to do), and now we are steadily making progress, and Im learning new things as well.

The roses smell just fine today.... Dont they?

GallantGesture
Mar. 29, 2010, 12:14 PM
I don't know who the original pony rider you mention is, but thanks for sharing the story. YOU just inspired ME!!

Off to go play with my horses, and enjoy the sunshine and the lovely spring weather for all it's worth :)

coymackerel
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:32 PM
Marvelous post - thank you! :D

kookicat
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:50 PM
I think sometimes, we get too hung up on how much talent a horse has and let it convince us that we should be pushing for the next movement, or the next level all of the time. The horse doesn't know what the word talent means, and there's nothing wrong with taking time to have fun. I think it's important to remember that.

merrygoround
Mar. 30, 2010, 10:47 PM
Enjoy the day! Enjoy the moment! Enjoy the ride! :yes:

Too soon old, too late smart! :cry:

Tiger Horse
Mar. 31, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thank you! Having just embarked on my dressage journey (late Nov 09) and looking forward to my very first show - this is a great reminder that I started "this" for FUN and for the sheer joy of connecting with my horse.

charlieo
Mar. 31, 2010, 10:19 PM
After my Beau broke his hind leg (hock) and came slowly back to work we kept doing dressage "just for fun" . Over the next 10 years he showed recognized occasionally, thru 1st level, always giving everything he had, but with scores in the mid 50's. I never came out of the ring without a huge smile, knowing he'd done the very best he could, and, in fact, more than he should have been able (or was physically able)to do. He's 18 this year, still soundish (there are some bad days) and he still gives 150% of what he can do. For the two of us, dressage has been a pleasant journey. I only hope that when I am able to return to riding, after an injury that threatened to end my riding he will again show me that it is not the destination that is important -- it's the journey and all it brings with it.