PDA

View Full Version : If you are humbled and you know it clap your hands!

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 26, 2010, 10:27 AM
I wanted to see if anyone has an experience to share..

Dressage is not my first discipline but definately the most humbling :)

My latest experience was when my new trainer told me she wanted to stop working on lengthenings or extensions until I had a relaxed horse when doing them.

I felt that he was as relaxed as he could be and asked her why, and what, and thats old news and on and on...

She told me to take him across the diagnol lengthen and mid way bring him back for a couple strideS of collection (elementary not upper level) and then back to it again.

We erm couldnt do it...

The tension he used in his body to elevate made for a very upset horse when I half halted longer than a stride...

We are since working on being relaxed ha ha :)

Anyone else?

Nojacketrequired
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:06 AM
Recently my trainer had to go to their other farm for a few weeks. I have taken a few lessons from the other trainer while he is away.

First thing other trainer says is: Do you realize how much you nag with your hands?

Now, 1st trainer mentions my hands, but never has actually bluntly told me they SUCK. I had really lost a lot of confidence due to a difficult horse and that is what he has been working to build up with me.

I've spent the last 2 weeks working on my hands/position in very basic exercises.

I am certainly humbled.

NJR

cyndi
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
I am humbled every day that my horse even lets me on her back in the first place!

rabicon
Mar. 26, 2010, 03:11 PM
Every time I ride I am humbled. To know how lucky I am to be able to have a horse to ride and compete and take lessons in my own back yard.

myvanya
Mar. 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah...pretty much the fact that I am *still* perpetually stuck at training level will keep me humbled for a good long time. I think I will die of shock if I can ever ride well enough to move past training :sigh: My horse is a saint but we just can't seem to get it...I have ridden pretty much forever but I can't seem to get everything right....poor horsie.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Mar. 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
The mare I am leasing, my schoolmistress, is amazing!!! I am humbled by her willingness to teach me (not an easy job!!!), and to go out there every time and do her best. That makes me want to ride her so she can shine!!! Clinic last weekend with the German trainer was just sooooo cool. I finally, after 6 months, am figuring out how to operate the double properly. We just found our "Zen space" together. (Can you tell I am so!!! in love with her). Trainer said "The mare makes you look good" (lol, I know, humbled right there -- don't even think that's it's you.... ;)). Then we went out on the trail on the neighboring ranch (I'm a bit of a chicken) and encountered a herd of loose horses right on the path, she just walked right through them without blinking an eye while I held my breath. Talk about being humbled over and over again.

thatsnotme
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:03 PM
I can only afford to lesson every 6 weeks or so, but trainer gives me 1 or 2 important things to 'try' to fix between each lesson...so EVERY lesson I am humbled. Lesson before last was, "What do you mean we aren't supple enough? Thats never been an issue before." well, as you move up, dumb%&^$, the suppleness must increase. She's not 3rd level supple-work on it for next time. This last lesson "Look, Oh Trainer, how hard we have worked and how supple we are" Yes, thats fine, now can you work on your hands-they are everywhere but where I want them-she can't find a place to be. HMMM, is this new or is it just becoming an issue??? I will die before I don't have some major thing that needs remodeling. Maybe if I stayed at 1st level I would be good!! Fortunately, my girl is the sweetest, most willing girl ever and since I started her, she's quite happy and comfortable with my shortcomings.

Robyn
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:25 PM
Definitely humbled by the videos my DH took of me trying out a new horse. Oy vey! Is that really me??? MUCH room for improvement...hands, rhythum, knees, toes, seat. But everything else was great ;)

kinnip
Mar. 26, 2010, 08:00 PM
Mmm, humble pie! Fix one thing and goof up another.

pintopiaffe
Mar. 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
Back when I started with my teacher, ten years ago, I was a fairly big fish in a VERY little mud puddle pond. I had done YR level stuff on horses who knew it as a working student, had done some cool clinics and worked with some cool teachers...

Fast forward, my stallion is the first horse of my own I've brought from scratch up through the levels.

I KNOW NOTHING. :no: :uhoh:

On the plus side, the gelding with maybe two dozen rides on him is further than most horses I trained for a year or two back then... :eek: It helps to START them right. But I'm a physical mess. Mentally, I'm better than I've been in years. Physically... bleh. :dead:

Now I'm at the "I know it in my head, why can't my body do it" stage.

And going to dabble in hunters this year. :lol: :uhoh: :winkgrin:

kpony
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:10 PM
Oh yes. There was a time... I believe it was last Tuesday, when it seemed that I could ride. There have been many days, really. Sometimes the illusion lasts for months at a time. But then.... :no:

EqTrainer
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:38 PM
My daughters pony makes me humble.

She is so self-possessed, so confident, so sure of herself... which makes her gracious, kind, giving... without seeming to make any effort to do so at all. Her gifts are free and they just keep coming.

She knows what it means to know your place in the world and to be completely good with it.

And so I find myself, over and over again, humble before her. I can't ride her even if I needed to. I can't "train" her, other than on the ground, which I don't need to do. It's as if I am just suppose to facilitate her being here and tend to the things she cannot do for herself. It's a privilege and the more I give her, the more she *incidentally* gives back.

It's not like any relationship I've ever had with a horse before. It's kind of like being in church before I found out what "religion" was.. that feeling of endless, infinite wisdom and *love*, but not love directed at me.. just love that is.there.

I don't really know why horses let us do the things we do. When she puts her head down and LMEqT puts her halter on.. I wonder, why? She doesn't have to. She could do what other ponies do, she could snatch grass, she could make it hard for her. As LMEqT bumbles thru learning to groom.. to tack.. to ride.. she lets her. And when she does it right, the pony expands her graciousness a little bit more.

She is so alive, so lively, so alert, so quick, so handy... sometimes I get a little nervous, is she suddenly going to become too much pony? No. It's who she is, she can be both things - The Nanny Pony/a little bit of dash and tiny ears, big eyes, moving! - without there being any confict at all. She's not patient w/LMEqT because she is old or tired or worn out, she is patient with her because she is kind, giving, gracious.

My gratitude flows to her and her graciousness flows back to me, my heart expands when I look at her, I am humble, grateful, clapping.

Glory's Ezekiel
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:39 PM
schoolmaster....when I was just starting back...

I'm just dealing with connection, right? Lovely trainer, very smart, very patient. Lovely horse, very bright, VERY advanced.

I don't know exactly what I did. But there were were in Piaffe.

Trainer: "Oh. That's nice, but that's not what we want."
Me: "What IS this???"
Trainer: "Something you don't understand. But he (the gelding) apparently thinks you do!"

:)

Sancudo
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:40 PM
Riding? What is that?

I have a string of minor bad luck that has all flared up at once. The young eventer put his clip through his foot coming off a jump and now is abscessing. The Red beast's arthritis has flared up and we are awaiting injections. And the gray mare is funky in left hind and has my vet stumped.

The only one I'm "riding" is my sister's retired gelding, and I'm just taking him out on hacks because we are both bored and the weather is nice.

I'm SO ready to be humbled again!! Hoping next week!

EasyStreet
Mar. 27, 2010, 12:43 AM
I am humbled ever time I see video or photos that my daughter takes of me riding. It's not only the incriminating evidence captured of heels up, leg slipped back, looking down, tension in ankles and shoulders not to mention that silly " turtle pokey forward neck " thing that I do:lol:... but to have to LOOK at all those extra pounds that the pour horse has to carry around is more than I can stand.:o My sweet daughter being ever so obligeing, photo shopped 20 lbs off of me in the last set of pics she took. "There, happy?" she said.....:yes::D

pintopiaffe
Mar. 27, 2010, 12:52 AM
EqT... :sadsmile: :cool:

myrna
Mar. 27, 2010, 01:06 AM
I am 58,been riding for over 45 years and still am amazed by how little i know........my chestnut trakehner mare keeps telling me in not so subtle ways.

IdahoRider
Mar. 27, 2010, 11:05 AM
HA! I have learned that any time I *think* I am pulling all the parts together into a cohesive form, that is when the next ride falls apart and I can't control my legs and my hands are bouncing and...the list is endless.
Sheilah

2tempe
Mar. 27, 2010, 10:34 PM
To the two earlier responses re schoolmasters: I have progressed over the last several years from training to PSG in the show ring and schooling I-1 and 1-tempes. It has been a long hard road for me but I'm constantly humbled when I realize a) that I have a horse that still knows more than I do, and b) that he tolerates (oh so patiently ) all my imperfections as a rider. and c) he will stand to open a fence gate better than any trail horse and happily wander the woods. How lucky did I get to find him.
I'm now horse shopping as said horse is 20; though I can ride all the horses I've tried, and some are lovely movers, I wonder in my heart if any will really be as good as he has been to me.

netg
Mar. 28, 2010, 02:16 AM
I had an 8 year break from horses and have just been riding again since September. I'm humbled by the fact the perfect horse for me happened to be owned by one of the other women who rides with my trainer and he happened to be exactly within my price range. I'm short, so I was hoping to find a green 15.2 hand-ish horse, preferably a mellow, lower energy type. I figured if I got a horse who was 8 or 9 it would probably be about at the limit of its ability, I'd ride it for 5 years and learn a lot then sell it to someone else who needed a nice schoolmaster and get myself a green horse then. Well, instead I have an 8 year old, 16.3, OTTB who is quite happy when he gets to run about 3 miles in turnout as he just races himself. And I don't believe I will ever sell him - he is the horse of a lifetime for me, I think. He's certainly teaching me a lot, though, as every time I start to revert to my hunter forward position he falls apart beneath me to remind me "hey, you have to help me balance!" Or there are the days I feel really good, so he chooses to canter over invisible ground poles just to make sure I'm awake as he's leaping lightly through the air.

coymackerel
Mar. 30, 2010, 08:24 AM
I took lessons when I first started riding as an adult. Thought I was doing quite well thank you! Then I moved to another barn and realized that it was not so much me as the well trained, patient school horses I had been riding. They knew what to do and did it regardless of how poorly I asked.

AHorseoffCourse
Mar. 31, 2010, 01:34 PM
Great topic!

Ah yes - many humbling moments, but 2 in particular just recently.

Rode a schoolmaster HUGE 17+ hand horse in lesson. I'm used to my 14H arab. The school master moved MUCH different and I turned into a flopping screaming chicken at the canter. Yeah...I thought I knew how to ride....

I've been having trouble with my canter/trot transitions on my arab. After taking a lesson with a centered riding instructor (seperate from my dressage training) realized how much *I* was blocking ehr from cantering properly. *sigh*. Time to back up, take a deep breathe adn start.all.over.