PDA

View Full Version : Best dressage saddle for Arabians

arabiansrock
Mar. 25, 2010, 06:31 PM
hi coth it was suggested that I start a thread with this title for best help.

Situation - 15 hd arabian mare, very short coupled, need 18 in seat saddle (I'm short and chubby). So most saddles are very long on her back and also I have a hard time keeping a good position in them because the stirrup bar is too far forward for me.

Saddles I have tried and HATED: Wintec/Bates Isabelle, Frank Baines Reflex, HDR Paris. They all tipped me forward and I could not stay balanced.

saddles that just weren't RIGHT but better than the above: Black Country Eloquence, Black Country Vinici, Frank Baines Elegance, toulouse Aachen.

Saddles that had issues: toulouse Verona (had 2 lumps under seat).

Saddles that didn't fit horse: toulouse aachen, fb reflex, wintecs/bates don't fit right. Others were shades of ok to good.

Best of the lot: Passier Corona II BUT flaps were miles too long, and panels were too long for horse. But the seat was brilliant for me.

my budget is now shrinking also owing to shipping fees for trials, and vehicle repair emergencies lately. I would really like to stay under $2000 now if at all possible.

Some saddlefitters are telling me get an upswept panel because of her short bearing area, others are telling me it is ok to go past 18th (17th in her case) vertebrae. Ummm who is right?

help please???!!!:confused:
arabsrock

mypaintwattie
Mar. 25, 2010, 11:50 PM
I rode my old little 14.3hh arab in a Passier Grand Gilbert. Fit her the best out of any saddle I've ever tried on her, and fit me well too. Liked that saddle so much that I just got a Thornhill Vienna II for my new horse because it is based on the Passier- but without the price tag;)

arabiansrock
Mar. 26, 2010, 12:17 AM
mypaint
how do you feel about the quality of the thornhill? I am reading mixed comments some are very happy others aren't. I wouldn't expect it to be as nice as passier leather but how is it generally? and how does the seat feel compared to the passier? this is good to get feedback from someone who has had the original and the copy.
thanks
arabsrock

mypaintwattie
Mar. 26, 2010, 12:23 AM
I got the thornhill after I rode in Coreene's- she really likes their saddles, and I can see why! I just got mine, but it began to feel really broken in after the 3rd ride. The leather is nice, I have been conditioning it with Lederbalsam and it is getting very supple. The seat puts me in the exact position my old Passier did. I wanted a Passier, but just couldn't fork out another 2k for a saddle right now, the Thornhill I got on eBay for $800, but it rides like a $2k saddle. I'm very happy with it- I don't know if it will be a forever saddle, but for my needs now it works just fine. I have heard more good things about them than negative.

arabiansrock
Mar. 26, 2010, 12:33 AM
mypaint
thats good to hear you are so happy with it. do you find the leather grippy or slippery? and do you have any idea how long the flaps are? on the original grand gilbert I understand they are quite long (and I am short), also how much or how big of a knee block does it have?

did you buy from netfilly?
thanks
arabsrock

mypaintwattie
Mar. 26, 2010, 12:42 AM
mypaint
thats good to hear you are so happy with it. do you find the leather grippy or slippery? and do you have any idea how long the flaps are? on the original grand gilbert I understand they are quite long (and I am short), also how much or how big of a knee block does it have?

did you buy from netfilly?
thanks
arabsrock

The leather is grained, so it is becoming fairly grippy with the applications of lederbalsam. The flaps are just right for me- I'm 5'4" and had the regular flap on the Passier. Knee block is very similar to the Passier, not overwhelming but just enough. I got it from Windswept Horse and Hound, but Netfilly also has them I got it on special with free shipping which is why I ordered from that store :)

myLittleArabPony
Mar. 26, 2010, 12:54 AM
I bought a Thornhill Pro Trainer Le Monde this past January for my Arab/QH cross. I LOVE it. They don't sell that particular model any more, but you may be able to find one used. It has a smooth leather seat (I'd call it grippy) and grained leather flaps. I'm 5' and the flaps fit me fine. It's also very comfortable- fairly cushy seat. It has minimal knee rolls.

While it's not top of the line leather, it's not "cheap" leather either. We like it well enough (especially how it fit the horse) that my daughter searched for a used Thornhill jump saddle to use on her. She found one and we like it too.

Ours are both 34 cm trees by the way.

Saddle fitting is not easy. Good luck!

arabiansrock
Mar. 26, 2010, 12:55 AM
thanks mypaint, if the ones i have on the way don't work, i may give them a call about the thornhill. sure can't beat the price! and gotta love that lederbalsam. I bet they could make a mint if they put it in small containers with a pretty label and marketed it as "intense conditioner for hands and cuticles". :winkgrin:
arabsrock

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 26, 2010, 10:09 AM
Depends on if they have a wither or not :)

Mine has a wither AND is shortbacked but is in between a wide and regular tree ugh!

I ended up trying used and new saddles out until one fit :)

NOW, darn horse is getting more muscle and its pinching :( Ill have to change again soon so let me know what you decide I may follow suit :)

bort84
Mar. 26, 2010, 12:21 PM
I love my Passier. My horse likes it too = ) He's 15 hands and very short coupled. I ride in a 17" but I bet an 18" would still fit him fine. Mine is a GG, but from what I can tell, the Corona is similar.

If you don't mind going used, I shopped around for a bit and got mine for just a touch over $1K. It was in fantastic condition. Just something to think about before you decide you can't afford one. As far as the flaps, you can get them altered, or if you get lucky, you can find someone selling a used one that has shortened flaps or was ordered with short flaps. I actually saw quite a few of those while shopping, and they were often less expensive since there's a smaller market for them.

If you really want a Passier, my advice would be to shop around for a bit (I know it's hard to avoid being impatient when tack shopping), but I found saddles in the same condition priced from $1k-2K, so it's worth it to spend a little extra time until the right one comes along.

I never tried out the Thornhill, but it certainly looks nice = )

Puddin Pie
Mar. 26, 2010, 05:33 PM
I had to compromise my seat size considerably and get a 16.5" Prestige Galileo with point billets and a really wide tree, custom fit to my horse. I could get away with the smaller seat because their seat was so open. I am 5' 9" and really need a 17.5 or 18", but I had to make due for the horse. We could not get a saddle to fit him. The longer saddles were just too long for his short back. Good luck, it is a challenge!!

arabiansrock
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:12 PM
Ohh Puddin Pie that sounds painful although I understand why you chose to protect the horse over your own comfort. I don't mind squeezing into a too small saddle, but for my son to try it is extremely painful (and I really do want grandchildren!). I hope we don't have to go there for this girl, am anxiously awaiting 2 more trial saddles, they should be here monday. if they don't work, well... I've luckily gotten lots of ideas here to try!

thanks everyone!
arabsrock

twotrudoc
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:14 PM
Have you tried an Albion? Most everyone at the barn I worked at loves them, here is a rep I know personally--

http://www.helmsaddles.com/index.html

Great gal and very informative :)

Libera
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:42 PM
Doesn't Albion make a saddle where you can switch out the tree as well?

I have an Albion SLK, I love it.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:55 PM
My friend bought a used Custom Saddlery saddle for under 500 and had it repaired and fitted by Custom Saddlery, works great for her and her 15.2 Arab mare. I think that one is a 17.5 or 18: seat. www.mysaddle.com (I have a used Custom Saddlery Victory for my mountain withered TB -- they have great saddles, and great service.)

twotrudoc
Mar. 26, 2010, 07:13 PM
Doesn't Albion make a saddle where you can switch out the tree as well?

I have an Albion SLK, I love it.

Yes, it's adjustable? I haven't heard anything negative about Albion. I LOVE their tack cleaning and conditioning products too :)

clm08
Mar. 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
I use an old County Warmblood on my 15.1 Arab. I believe it is a 34cm tree, 17 seat, and the it is more "banana-shaped" so it helps with short backs. My horse has tall withers, sway back and is a nightmare for saddle fitting, but the Countys are wool flocked and their reps are really good saddle fitters, so she made it fit with some custom flocking. I got mine used for under $1K (it is a 1987 model) from one of the saddleries on the East coast. Countys are really good saddles, but pricey if bought new.

Ghazzu
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:00 PM
My older Neidersuess has been a good fit for several of my Arabs.

arabiansrock
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:11 PM
I am not sure how well a county would work for my girl she has a pretty level back, has real withers with a drop down to a level back. Now my other mare IS swaybacked and I have been advised to keep my eyes open for an old county competitor or passier for her.

ghazzu - how does the neidersuss feel to ride in? that is one saddle that seems to be a love it or hate it type..
arabsrock

Ghazzu
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:21 PM
Well, I love mine.
Got it years ago, before I'd even heard of them.
Went to pick up a used saddle to try, and the person with it said I should "try this one too--might as well, as long as you're taking the other one to try". Figured it was a chance to ride in an expensive saddle, why not?

Well out of my price range, but the Niedersuess fit the horse, and the other one didn't, and it was wicked comfortable to sit in.
So I scraped up the cash and did it.

Ghazzu
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:23 PM
Though I have to say the saddle that has fit more horses than any other I've ever owned is an old brown Martin-Kinlet dressage saddle.
I've even gotten away with riding a Country Pleasure class in it.

arabiansrock
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:32 PM
thanks ghazzu, i will add neidersuss to my list of used saddles to keep my eye open for.

good thing arabs are so special or we might give up on them just from the saddle fitting issues.:winkgrin:

neversaynever
Mar. 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
I too have a short-backed, hard-to-fit arab. Several of the saddles I tried also tipped me forward. Ended up with a Jaguar XKC (fit the horse and me the best). The difference was like night and day. She became much more responsive to my aids and my seat was much improved. I am short (5'3") and did have the flaps shortened. The saddle-fitter also suggested the old County.

eventgroupie2
Mar. 28, 2010, 06:06 PM
I got a used Cliff Barnsby "Raven" model that fits my 15hh Arabian perfectly - we were having the problem of most saddles being too long for his back, also. This one is just right, and fits me well, too. I think it is a 17", and I am certaily not a light weight :lol:, and the tree was a medium wide. Found it on E-Bay for $405, and it is in near perfect condition :winkgrin:

chambe94
Mar. 28, 2010, 07:24 PM
I would second the Albion. get an albion fitter to come out and tell you what you need, then look for a used one with teh specs you want. Or go for the K2, you can get it custom fit for just a smidge more than your budget.

I was in the same boat as Puddin Pie. I had to get a 16.5" for my arab. You can have them lay the cantle back though, so the seat is actually much larger, but the tree is technically 16.5". This is probably going to be your best bet. Men tend to like the K2 because it has a wider twist to it. so your son may find it quite comfortable.

arabiansrock
Mar. 28, 2010, 10:33 PM
chambe94 - oddly enough I like a wide twist and my son likes a medium to slightly narrow twist. go figure. I have thought about the k2 (price mostly I would love an slk ultima!)

neversaynever - does your arab have a scoopy/sway back or a flat back? I like the look of the jaguar xkc and it was actually suggested for my other mare who has a significant dip in her back, so I assumed it wouldn't work for te flatback one. Maybe that was a bad assumption?

eventgroupie - I will also keep an eye out for used barnsby raven then, thanks. Have tried the old bonfire and loved it but it didn't fit anything in our barn correctly.

lots of great ideas here, thanks everybody.
arabsrock

neversaynever
Mar. 29, 2010, 01:41 PM
Arabiansrock, my mare is flat-backed and takes a wide tree - think round (several of the saddles I tried would tend to roll). I found the jaguar fit us both.

arabiansrock
Mar. 29, 2010, 02:20 PM
thanks neversaynever. arabs are built a bit like a barrel with a leg at each corner aren't they? My mare is so round bellied that my vet actually asked me (jsut 2 weeks ago) if she had been near a stallion before I got her (I've only had her since July)!!! Now I keep groping her belly in hopes of feeling a kick but I know she just has well sprung ribs.
arabsrock

Bezysmom
Mar. 29, 2010, 03:08 PM
I have an Albion all purpose that fits my Arab very well. When I wanted a dressage saddle, I couldn't afford another Albion so I bought a Thornhill (I think it's a Danube) and I love it. It's an 18 inch seat and fits his short back just fine.

Festivity
Mar. 29, 2010, 03:56 PM
Popping over from eventland....with my arabs I have had really good luck with the Kieffer saddles fitting them and anyone riding them fairly well. The cutback seems to help, high whithers or not. Recently I got a Windsor greenline dressage saddle and it fits my boy beautifully and was the most comfortable saddle at Broken Horn to me. I do tend to have the opposite problem of having no butt and swimming in most dressage saddles so I have no idea how well the windsor would work for you. Good luck with the saddle hunting.

sparkleplentyfarm
Mar. 30, 2010, 01:23 PM
Many years ago I went through the same thing with my Arab trying every saddle I could get my hands on. I finally got an Albion that has worked for years. I had lots of trouble with the short couple, sprung ribs and getting a girth that would keep the saddle in place and not gall the mare. Ended up getting an Albion girth that worked pretty good too. cy

esdressage
Mar. 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
My mare is so round bellied that my vet actually asked me (jsut 2 weeks ago) if she had been near a stallion before I got her (I've only had her since July)!!! Now I keep groping her belly in hopes of feeling a kick but I know she just has well sprung ribs.
arabsrock

Ha! My vet said the same thing to me when I bought my mare. Then when he saw my look of horror (I didn't want a "mystery foal"), he cracked up and said he was just kidding. I felt a bit silly, but they really are well sprung! :lol:

clm08
Mar. 30, 2010, 11:22 PM
Ha! My vet said the same thing to me when I bought my mare. Then when he saw my look of horror (I didn't want a "mystery foal"), he cracked up and said he was just kidding. I felt a bit silly, but they really are well sprung! :lol:

Hahaha! Now imagine my 2 geldings at the end of the winter, one looking like he is in foal, the other like there might be twins...:eek::lol::lol:

2greyhorses
Mar. 31, 2010, 01:03 AM
I rode my old little 14.3hh arab in a Passier Grand Gilbert. Fit her the best out of any saddle I've ever tried on her, and fit me well too. Liked that saddle so much that I just got a Thornhill Vienna II for my new horse because it is based on the Passier- but without the price tag;)

Same here, I had a heck of a time fitting a saddle to my 15H SE Arab mare, everything (!!!) seemed to interfere with her shoulder. I just bought a Passier Grand Gilbert, it's 5 or more years old but in mint condition, paid $1,200 for it! It puts me in perfect position and fits her so comfy. I am not sure if it is a wide though, never checked that part. It was supposed to be a medium tree but my trainer and I are wondering if the seller was wrong on that. It works so I just never checked. Now my lessons are so much more fun compared to riding in some of those other torture devices (for both me and her!).

BTW, I have come across saddle websites that sell Passiers, and they are very explicit about what kind of condition each saddle is in and you can send it back if it does not work out. Have heard that people get a lot of junk saddles on E-bay. I had planned to use the website, but a barn-mate suddenly decided to quit riding and sell hers. Some of the saddle on there, in good condition, were under 2k by a bit.

arabiansrock
Mar. 31, 2010, 01:25 AM
thanks everyone, the hdr pro lexus did not fit at all (very scoopy tree - why didn't saddle store catch that before they recommended me try it?_ and classic select looked good but when I put the impression pad under it it showed clear pressure lines down the length of the panels on both side of her spine.l my guess is that the saddle was rocking back and forth on her back. so back they go. and my budget goes down another 150 dollars!

I may call on the Thornhill since so many here like it. also was corresponding with a saddle fitter back east who is getting a new adjustable saddle, the Fairfax made by same people as thorowgood in pretty soon. It looks nice, niceleatther and external knee blocks. but it has been a week since my last email and she hasn't responded so.l..

I think Ihave a headache!

arabsrock

arabiansrock
Mar. 31, 2010, 12:06 PM
:(chr30 the arabian saddle company is now out of my price range since I have spent so much on trials (unless I find one used). Sorry to anyone if I gave the impression that my mare is narrow! Not so, she is somewhere between wide and xtra wide!!! typical arab except she actually has withers.

We are using a wintec now and it just doesn't fit right. Plus I am sick of it, have to work too hard for my position in it. I bought a collegiate for my other mare (that is just basically a wintec pro with leather instead of fake suede), and she likes it but again it just isn't "right" on this mare.

I am so ready to be done with this.

2greyhorses
Mar. 31, 2010, 12:28 PM
:(chr30 the arabian saddle company is now out of my price range since I have spent so much on trials (unless I find one used). Sorry to anyone if I gave the impression that my mare is narrow! Not so, she is somewhere between wide and xtra wide!!! typical arab except she actually has withers.

We are using a wintec now and it just doesn't fit right. Plus I am sick of it, have to work too hard for my position in it. I bought a collegiate for my other mare (that is just basically a wintec pro with leather instead of fake suede), and she likes it but again it just isn't "right" on this mare.

I am so ready to be done with this.

Finding a saddle is about as torturous as finding a new used car LOL. Sorry, I feel your pain!

paintlady
Mar. 31, 2010, 12:37 PM
I can't remember if you said this already or not, but are you working with a saddle fitter? S/he should have been steering you in the right direction towards specific brands and sizes that would work for both you and your horse. That is what you pay them for. If you are working with a saddle fitter - they don't sound like a very good one based on all your trial and errors shipping saddles.

I don't have an Arab, but I do have a very wide-backed foundation bred Paint mare. I had to do a lot of trail and error to find a saddle that fit. Luckily, we have tons of tack stores in my area. The two brands that wound up fitting her were Thornhill/Jorge Canaves (34 cm tree) and Albion SLK (wide tree). I had a Thornhill/Jorge Canaves saddle for many years. It was comfortable and seemed to work well on my mare. However, after a few years, I decided to upgrade to a custom Albion SLK Ultima GP. The fitter/dealer had the gussets in the back "tucked under" a bit so the 18" seat I needed wouldn't cause the saddle to be too long on my mare's back.

I know that a custom saddle is probably out of your budget now. I guess the point I was trying to make is that custom saddles are the way to go with hard-to-fit horses. I wish I had gone the custom route from the beginning with my mare. It's definitely worth the price to have a saddle that fits both of you well without wasting time and money on lots of trail and error.

Good luck!

arabiansrock
Mar. 31, 2010, 12:44 PM
paintlady
the first saddlefitter was acually very good (trumbull mtn) but my trainer didn't like the way I rode in the saddle. Fit on mare was stellar. Second saddle fitter, maybe not so good. It was suggested that I call her and tell her what the impression pad showed before I ship the saddle back so I will do that this am. But my son didn't like ti much, not enough room "up front" lol. For me, it was great, I was very comfortable in it.

Bottom line is mare gets biggest say in what we buy. Watch me end up getting the first one we tried that my trainer didn't like!
arabsrock

AHorseoffCourse
Mar. 31, 2010, 12:49 PM
Try a Lovett and Ricketts Berkley dressage. I ride in their Solstice model, which is not a dressage saddle (it's an endurance model) but it's built on their dressage frame/tree. It's in your price range, the quality is very good, and the panels are *very* short, even with the larger seat size. Teh saddles are specially made for arabians so I've had (and others...) a lot of luck of fitting the wider, short backed horses. Another name for the company is "Arabian Saddle Company".

I've also used a Duett saddle with some success. If your horse has a substantial wither it will not work though.

AHorseoffCourse
Mar. 31, 2010, 12:52 PM
BTW I've seen some used Berkley's in the $1200-1600 range.

paintlady
Mar. 31, 2010, 03:35 PM
paintlady
the first saddlefitter was acually very good (trumbull mtn) but my trainer didn't like the way I rode in the saddle. Fit on mare was stellar. Second saddle fitter, maybe not so good. It was suggested that I call her and tell her what the impression pad showed before I ship the saddle back so I will do that this am.

The saddle fitters either I or friends of mine have used will actually come out to the farm - so they see both the horse and rider combinations before making recommendations. I realize that might not be an option for all. Luckily, we have at least two people in my area that do this.

arabiansrock
Mar. 31, 2010, 04:31 PM
well jsut got off phone with saddle fitter. She strongly suggested that I ride in the saddle 5 or 6 more times and then do the impression pad again. She still thinks the fit is "right" and that hte flocking and panels just need time to conform.

so since I have already paid to have it shipped here and have 7 more days of trial I guess no harm no foul, I'll keep riding in it and see what happens. I will just ahve to keep a close eye on my mares back to make sure she doesnt' get sore.
:confused:
arabsrock

shall
Apr. 2, 2010, 03:45 AM
Boy, do I feel your pain. I have two arabians and it has been no fun finding saddles. Especially, like all horses they grow and develop, too. What once fit then no longer fits. One learns how to sight down the underside of the saddle and if it looks wide and flat in there, then it's a possible. One day I was looking at used in a local store. There was one bright orange Courbette Stylist jumper saddle. The price was right so took it on trial. It was our first break through. Every other saddle would roll up her no wither flat back and end up on her 4 year old neck. She's a little, but perfect barrel.

The other guy (7) who has a big wither, big shoulder and shorter back wasn't working out with the Wintec Isabell (nor was she). It would settle down on his shoulders and he'd restrict. The Isabell fit better than the Pro because the channel is wider and the tree is more hoop shaped, but not quite right. He liked the County Competitor the best of that line, but too pricey. I ran across a Thornhill Klasse used that was $500 and which fits us mostly very well. Meanwhile, his back came up and he could start wearing the Isabell which I keep on a medium even though he's a wide in every other saddle.

Saddles I liked were Windsor and Passier, too. But the flaps were too long for my 5' 4" frame and the price tag for all the changing backs was too high.

funkoozies1
Apr. 2, 2010, 05:14 AM
Boy, do I feel your pain. I have two arabians and it has been no fun finding saddles. Especially, like all horses they grow and develop, too. What once fit then no longer fits. One learns how to sight down the underside of the saddle and if it looks wide and flat in there, then it's a possible. One day I was looking at used in a local store. There was one bright orange Courbette Stylist jumper saddle. The price was right so took it on trial. It was our first break through. Every other saddle would roll up her no wither flat back and end up on her 4 year old neck. She's a little, but perfect barrel.

The other guy (7) who has a big wither, big shoulder and shorter back wasn't working out with the Wintec Isabell (nor was she). It would settle down on his shoulders and he'd restrict. The Isabell fit better than the Pro because the channel is wider and the tree is more hoop shaped, but not quite right. He liked the County Competitor the best of that line, but too pricey. I ran across a Thornhill Klasse used that was $500 and which fits us mostly very well. Meanwhile, his back came up and he could start wearing the Isabell which I keep on a medium even though he's a wide in every other saddle.

Saddles I liked were Windsor and Passier, too. But the flaps were too long for my 5' 4" frame and the price tag for all the changing backs was too high.

I like your sharing a lot ! So friendly, Thanks for your exp sharing ! So great!

buck22
Apr. 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
not affiliated with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250608270800&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

arabiansrock
Apr. 2, 2010, 07:04 PM
thanks buck I will keep my eye on that one.

Has anyone had any experience with the Pessoa Anky saddles? I found a fixed tree one lightly used for 950, but the xchange model is very tempting as i can at least tweak it a little myself if she fills out more through the shoulders.

The trial saddles are not working out, maresy has been getting very crabby since I started using it, so am not going to follow her directions to just keep riding in it to break it in. Mare should not have to get sore during "breaking in" process. So back to the drawing board. Just trying to decide what to try next.
arabsrock

hgeverafter
Apr. 6, 2010, 04:31 PM
I've had good luck with Schumacher saddles on my Welsh crosses. My horses/ponies are generally in the 14 hand range and I'm 5'4". You can usually find them on eBay or at Pelham Saddlery.

arabiansrock
Apr. 6, 2010, 05:07 PM
well just a follow up I spoke with yet another saddle fitter back east (sure wish there was someone good here but there isn't) and we talked alot about my needs and my mares fit issues, and decided to try a Fairfax which is essentially a thorowgood but in leather and with upgraded padding. it has an ajustable tree system so it could be adjusted to fit her as she develops, Unfortunately, she doesn't have any 18 in stock, so will be making a new order from England, she hopes it will be here (east coast) in 4-5 weeks then a week shipping to me.

ah well, I have waited since december so... I am just going to stop trying saddles and wait for this one to get here and see how it does.

thanks for all the great ideas everyone.
arabsrock

Nanerpus
Apr. 6, 2010, 05:40 PM
I have a short, stout-bellied pony and the Frank Baines Reflex fits her the best, and I have seemed to have tried them ALL! Pelham Saddlerly let me demo one and then their saddle fitter came out and did all the measurements and I had it made for the pony and me (shorter flaps, etc) and it was quite reasonable, under $2000 for a custom saddle. It works awesome and doesn't slide to the left or ride or forward, which is a huge struggle with my pony. This a pic to get a better idea of how difficult she is to fit:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33455453&l=998d8ed099&id=13002359

See how narrow she is from the front as compared to the above pic showing her middle:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33485391&l=8db6bc36be&id=13002359

arabiansrock
Apr. 6, 2010, 06:10 PM
We tried the reflex, it was the 2 cd one we tried, nice saddle but the tree was too curved for my girls back. They sure do offer a lot of custom options for hte price though don't they?
arabsrock

buck22
Apr. 6, 2010, 09:04 PM
wow, jealous you get to try a fairfax, they're really nice from what I know. I love my L4 CC saddle. They do fit flat, and iirc use the S bar system, which does go wide. Don't know how it'll do for withers though, but to my knowledge you can shim behind the panels yourself for fit as well. iirc. very very cool saddles. The leather on my L4 is awesome and I love the adjustable billets.

arabiansrock
Apr. 7, 2010, 12:16 AM
hey buck that is good to hear that you are happy with one that is similar. the one they are orderig for me to try will have hte r gullets because of her withers, they don't think she needs the s bars. Of course it will be about 6 weeks before it gets here, that is going to feel like forever!!!

I;ll let everyone here know what I think when I get it. SAddlefitter seemed REALLY impressed wiht them, in fact she sold 2 in one weekend at a fitting clinic.
arabsrock

jesterjigger
Apr. 12, 2010, 05:54 PM
I had the same problems with my wide Arab/Trak, she looks more like an Arab than anything. I found an Albion SLK Ultima that fit her pretty well, but not well enough so I ended up with a custom Albion. If I'd tried more I might have found one but I was anxious to start riding my new horse and the genesis tree appealed to me since I could use it on other horses in the future.