PDA

View Full Version : Saddle/Abetta questions

cloudy18
Mar. 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm 5'4" and about 123#. Is a 16" Western seat too big? I am wondering bc I was using my husband's 16" Dakota and I feel comfortable in it ( I like a little extra room). But would I be better off in a 15"?

Also, about Abettas. I have heard people who love and hate. I have heard the endurance models put you in a chair seat. What about the regular trail models? Are the stirrups set farther back on those? And anyone have the Serenity? Is the squishy looking seat really nice, or would you be better off getting a regular model and buying a tush cush?

SouthernTrailsGA
Mar. 25, 2010, 06:41 PM
My wife is about the same size as you a couple of inches shorter, she only rides in 16" seat Western Saddles, but she is used to English Saddles, so she like the extra room.

Charts show a 15" for your size.

Abetta Endurance models use the same Ralide Tree as the regular models, the only difference is they cut of the Horn Off. The Rigging is 3/4 instead of 7/8.

The Stirrups are not set any farther back, same basic tree as the original.

The Memory Foam Models are quite comfy for most people, I would not add a tush-cush to any Saddle unless it was my only option.

The reason many people say the love or hate them I think is the original models could use a little more seat padding, but to me they are not uncomfortable, I think the memory foam gets a little hot in the summer, but most people love them, never remember hearing a complaint or any one wanting to return one.

Huntertwo
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:26 AM
I'm the same height as you, but weigh more...;) I take a 16 seat in a Western saddle.

I like the Abettas. More so than the Wintecs.

Don't feel like it puts me in a chair seat at all.

GallopHer
Mar. 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have a couple of Abettas and I love them. I will say that the stirrup fenders tend to run a little long. I am 5' 1" and I have to punch extra holes for the stirrups of my 15' saddle. For my 16" saddle, I had to switch out the stirrup fenders with a youth saddle.

Since you are thin, I'd go with the 15" so you don't have to worry with stirrups that are too long.

They are fairly sturdy and very light weight. Naturally, they don't hold up as well as a $1,500 leather saddle, but for the price, I've always been pleased.

I ordered my saddle from this site:
http://www.buytack.com/products/saddles/act/20550.htm

From this site, you can choose the tree width that will best fit your horse.

Best of luck.

GallopingGrape
Mar. 26, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hey Cloudy...
I've riden in and sell the Abettas and my customers love them. The memory foam seat is very comfortable, its light weight and the saddle holds up pretty well! It puts you in a nice position and I like the amount of flare they put in the shoulder part of the tree. Most trees tend to be too straight and do not allow enough room for shoulder movement. As for your seat size, you should be in a 16". We are the same size and I ride in a 16". Better to have a hair too much room, than to be to tight! PS, I ride in a Dakota too...my absolutely favorite saddle (next to my treeless)!!
Kim