PDA

View Full Version : Making dressage more popular--maybe

canyonoak
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
Ideas to consider:

From England:

<< We then went on to World Class squad training at the Unicorn Trust. The normal support staff were there - vet, osteopath, physio', farrier, saddle fitter, bitting experts, psychologist, performance lifestyle and strength and conditioning coaches. So it’s a lot to get through in two days, especially with two horses. The selectors also sit and watch the training sessions, so there are eyes everywhere!>>

http://www.horsehero.com/celebrity-blog?CelebId=3349

From Holland:

http://www.horses.nl/dressuur/nieuws/14633/jureer-de-wereldbekerfinale-vanaf-de-tribune

<< Want to play international judge? The International Dressage Trainers Club (IDTC) gives you online tests to assess the possibility, at the World Cup Final. So you can sit in the stands on the mobile phone and be a judge.

The IDTC has an application for the Intermediate I and II, the Prix St. Georges and Grand Prix. During the test, you as a spectator points for each component. The system then calculates the final score.>>

I think these are both valid and interesting.

In England, they are treating the equestrians as full-fledged athletes, with programs similar to those of other Olympic sports--which can only attract more new athletes.

And in Holland, they are involving the audience in new and interesting ways.

I wish we could have such programs here.

5WhiteSocks
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:01 PM
Or another way :lol:

http://www.topdressage.tv/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=543

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:09 PM
I think we ought to allow wagering! :D

narcisco
Mar. 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
LOL. Wagering might be something like, "I bet you can't stay awake through the whole GP test."

When I look at dressage, which only a few decades ago, was a fairly ethical and objective sport, and I see it go the way of hunter/jumpers in America, then I am not so sure that it needs to be more "popular." I would really want to hear the benefits of popularity so I could weigh them against the downsides.

MassageLady
Mar. 24, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think $$ involved would get more peoples attention:lol:

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Mar. 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
If people rode shirtless I'm sure more people would televise it and of course ppl would tune int :lol::lol::lol:

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah. I think slinky outfits more like ski racers or lugers wear rather than our butler suits might attract more viewers AND participants.

Though I look like the Michelin Man in Spandex. Not. Attractive. It would look good on Anky and similarly proportioned folks!

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Mar. 24, 2010, 03:51 PM
Butler suits I LOVE IT!!!! :cool:

MassageLady
Mar. 25, 2010, 06:48 PM
How about only chaps?? nothing else :lol:
Yes, I'm sick.:lol:

Karoline
Mar. 25, 2010, 11:33 PM
One the one hand ammies are told they cannot make any judgements or critic because they are well, ammies. On the other end, now we have apps that allow ammies to score FEI tests. What is the next step? terminals at each seats that allow the audience to give a collective spectator mark?

Both this development and the suggestion for slinky costumes are eerily similar to what the satire SuperPrix describes as dressage in 2060.

I am not for or agaisnt, just interrested in what fuels these developments from a marketing standpoint.