PDA

View Full Version : gpa helmet, spin off from 'caution do not read' thread

KristieBee
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:27 AM
GPA Genesis Helmet (http://www.doversaddlery.com/gpa-genesis-riding-helmet/p/X1-36072/cn/4953/) "Finally an affordable GPA"

that was my first thought too - until i looked closer and saw that on the brim, it says TRAINING by gpa....

LOL am i the only one who thinks this is sort of like the 'student driver' sign they put on cars? :lol:

twotrudoc
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:51 AM
LOL!!!! :D :D :D I want one just for that! Wonder if you could get a free gpa training Tshirt with it!?

lesgarcons
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:52 AM
I think it looks really silly. The fact that they made sure to design it completely differently than their other helmets and mark it "training" so that everyone in the barn knows you're poor is kind of insulting to me. :lol:

And, at $269, it's not really what I consider affordable!

ExJumper
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
On the Amira site, it's called the "Training" helmet. I think the "Genesis" name is just for us on this side of the pond.

But I really want someone to tell me if it's rounder or more oval. It costs the same as a GR8 now, so that, to me, is affordable :)

KristieBee
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
LOL!!!! :D :D :D I want one just for that! Wonder if you could get a free gpa training Tshirt with it!?

LOL awesome. and gpa training polo wraps and saddle pad for your horse too!!!

I think it looks really silly. The fact that they made sure to design it completely differently than their other helmets and mark it "training" so that everyone in the barn knows you're poor is kind of insulting to me. :lol:

haha agreed. ;)

KristieBee
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:17 AM
On the Amira site, it's called the "Training" helmet. I think the "Genesis" name is just for us on this side of the pond.

But I really want someone to tell me if it's rounder or more oval. It costs the same as a GR8 now, so that, to me, is affordable :)

yeah but you can show in the gr8! this is obviously ONLY for training purposes, per the label... ;) i mean, come on - it's stipulated right on the helmet. i think inside in the fine print it says "only wear in the show ring if you want everyone to know exactly how much you didn't pay for this helmet/and or look like you're just in training, not a real competitor"

i don't always have to buy top of the line, i am a big believer that style is a matter of taste, not price tags. when i get dressed every day, i mix plenty of pieces of varying price ranges. but i don't dig anything that screams "cheap alternative" - or worse, has a sort of insulting insinuation attached.

kors by michael kors is one thing - INTERN by michael kors would be something else. lol....

murph
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:18 AM
Looks exactly like an adult version of the kids GPA Jimpi. I have a Jimpi for my daughter, got it half price last year, was around $100. Cute little helmet is well made but sure wouldn't pay $200+ for it or for this "Training" one LOL. The outer shell DOES look rather cheap/plasticky. She shows in it and sometimes I feel I should switch to a velvet but so many helmets are either carbon fiber now ala speedairs, or this style of faux carbon fibre, that I figure some of the other pony kids will catch up one day and she'll be cool :D

ExJumper
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:25 AM
but i don't dig anything that screams "cheap alternative" - or worse, has a sort of insulting insinuation attached.

I guess I just don't agree with this particular point. You may think that it's not worth $260, but that isn't the point I'm talking about right now.

Everyone who has gone helmet shopping knows about what a GR8 and a GPA cost. When people started wearing GR8s more, no one called them cheap. When I switched from a GPA to a GR8 no one called me cheap!

KristieBee
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:32 AM
I guess I just don't agree with this particular point. You may think that it's not worth $260, but that isn't the point I'm talking about right now.

Everyone who has gone helmet shopping knows about what a GR8 and a GPA cost. When people started wearing GR8s more, no one called them cheap. When I switched from a GPA to a GR8 no one called me cheap!

I show in a GR8 - that's 100% not my point. I show in it for two reasons: 1 i like the style, and 2 it's cheaper than a gpa- double bonus!!!

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, imo this helmet would be fine, i think if it didn't say "TRAINING" on it - the point I"m making is that in calling it "TRAINING" GPA are basically calling attention to the fact that it's cheaper, in an insulting way. IE, in my opinion, they are making it seem like if you aren't spending 500+ on a helmet, it doesn't belong in the show ring. THAT is what i find insulting.

Was that more clear? Its not the price of the helmet I disagree with - more that they have degraded the helmet itself by calling it "TRAINING". IMO, to me it's GPA being greedy and saying, fine, here's a cheaper helmet - but we'll separate it from the higher end GPAs with a label on the outside. That's the part I don't dig...as I said, I think it's kind of insulting.

again, as i said originally, it just reminds me of having a 'student driver' magnetic sign on your car.

luvs2ridewbs
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:49 AM
I agree. They tried to make it look like a schooling helmet when most people want to buy GPAs to show in. IMO, Its not worth the money.

ExJumper
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:00 PM
I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree. Which is fine!! :) It takes all opinions to make the world go round, and I DO see from where you're coming.

I plan on figuring out if this helmet fits me. If it does and I like it, I will buy it and show in it. I don't think any one will notice or care.

And for what it's worth, like I said, the specific model is called "Training" on the Amira site. It's just a brand name. Some of them say "Pikeur" on them -- or at least they used to. To me the very word "training" doesn't mean something bad. I think the idea is that it has a sturdyier (sp?) covering than the microfiber, which some people might appreciate. I think the outside is just as ugly a the other models! No more, no less :)

Clear sailing
Mar. 24, 2010, 03:54 PM
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but i believe in advertising it is called a 2 way stretch. Meaning, you will LOOSE the highend customers if the comapany makes a cheaper version LOOK like the expensive one, and no one will buy an expensive one from a known inexpensive manufacturer. So maybe they made it look cheap so those people can afford the $500 helmet will continue to buy it.

Anyone hear of a 100K Hyundai? Or a 20K Mercedes?

mg
Mar. 24, 2010, 04:08 PM
Looks exactly like an adult version of the kids GPA Jimpi. I have a Jimpi for my daughter, got it half price last year, was around $100. Cute little helmet is well made but sure wouldn't pay $200+ for it or for this "Training" one LOL. The outer shell DOES look rather cheap/plasticky. She shows in it and sometimes I feel I should switch to a velvet but so many helmets are either carbon fiber now ala speedairs, or this style of faux carbon fibre, that I figure some of the other pony kids will catch up one day and she'll be cool :D

Oh man, I've always thought the Jimpis were SO CUTE. I wanted a black/black one. Curse my stupid big head :(

And GPA definitely strategically made this GPA look noticeably different from the others so people wouldn't just buy this instead of the other ones. I'm not sure it saying "Training" was meant so much as an insult as it was just something for them to put so it didn't have the recognizable GPA button.

grandprixjump
Mar. 24, 2010, 04:15 PM
And either come up with a domed item to COVER or replace it.. Maybe even just a colored oval vinyl patch to put on top of that.. Then you can have a PINK, Blue, or Red button there, instead of "Training":lol::lol::lol:

caradino
Mar. 24, 2010, 04:20 PM
And either come up with a domed item to COVER or replace it.. Maybe even just a colored oval vinyl patch to put on top of that.. Then you can have a PINK, Blue, or Red button there, instead of "Training":lol::lol::lol:

oh heck just cut out a little oval of electrical tape and BAM! no more "Training" button!

KristieBee
Mar. 24, 2010, 04:35 PM
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but i believe in advertising it is called a 2 way stretch. Meaning, you will LOOSE the highend customers if the comapany makes a cheaper version LOOK like the expensive one, and no one will buy an expensive one from a known inexpensive manufacturer. So maybe they made it look cheap so those people can afford the $500 helmet will continue to buy it.

Anyone hear of a 100K Hyundai? Or a 20K Mercedes?

you're partially right. many brands will create a cheaper version of a collection under a different name, so as not to compromise the original line. chaps by ralph lauren, kors by michael kors, isaac misrahi even did a line for target! but chaps is a perfectly fine name, it's just chaps, not - lol, training chaps. haha. kors, is equally innocuous. it separates - but doesn't denigrate. and isaac misrahi for target - yes it was on the label - but the label wasn't on the outside ;) however, there is still a duty, in terms of brand integrity, to uphold a certain level of quality, some materials may be cheaper as is the case with the fabric in the isaac collection at target, but the overall appearance and style is supposed to be worthy of the original house that created it. the whole point is supposed to be high end fashion at main street price points.

oh and btw...
Mercedes DID make a car in the 20k level. and it wasn't called a "beginners edition" ;) it's the Mercedes C230. a friend of mine has one, and imo it has that certain level of quality that Mercedes owners deserve to expect..at a base price of 24,950. an example of an attractive entry level price point to a luxury brand - without an insulting 'entry level' name.

DancingQueen
Mar. 24, 2010, 08:44 PM
Audi and Volkswagen has the same engine. The price difference lies in the hood-ornament!
Always thought about going out late night to pry the audi emblem off one of those and glue it to my car! Lmfo!

Jumpers4life
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:08 PM
I agree w/ Clear sailing. A few years ago, I was going to buy a pair of Eskadrons for my horse, but my friend who works at the tack store said the Hampas were made by the same company and were exactly the same - except for the label on the outside of the velcro. :D Why pay for a brand name if something else works just as well?

grandprixjump
Mar. 25, 2010, 02:26 AM
Audi and Volkswagen has the same engine. The price difference lies in the hood-ornament!
Always thought about going out late night to pry the audi emblem off one of those and glue it to my car! Lmfo!

Volkswagen and Porsche do have the same engines. That's a bigger price difference than VW and Audi...

Montanas_Girl
Mar. 25, 2010, 11:38 AM

I agree. I laughed out loud when I read the other thread. $200+ for a helmet is nowhere in the neighborhood of "affordable"! Affordable is my $40 IRH plastic schooling helmet. It almost killed me to pay $180 for my CO Hampton - I don't consider that helmet "affordable" either, but it was a splurge that I gave myself for Christmas one year. Must be nice to live in a world where a $269 schooling helmet is "affordable"!

KristieBee
Mar. 25, 2010, 11:46 AM
I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree. Which is fine!! :) It takes all opinions to make the world go round, and I DO see from where you're coming.

I plan on figuring out if this helmet fits me. If it does and I like it, I will buy it and show in it. I don't think any one will notice or care.

And for what it's worth, like I said, the specific model is called "Training" on the Amira site. It's just a brand name. Some of them say "Pikeur" on them -- or at least they used to. To me the very word "training" doesn't mean something bad. I think the idea is that it has a sturdyier (sp?) covering than the microfiber, which some people might appreciate. I think the outside is just as ugly a the other models! No more, no less :)

i say - with utter sincerity and some envy - good for you that you're that confident that having the word "training" emblazoned across your forehead doesn't make you feel a bit self conscious! because it would me. i can't wait till the day when i don't make as many mistakes as i do now and know my riding is solid enough to completely override (pun intended) any statement (however inadvertently) made by a helmet or other tack/attire. :D

ETA: i still hate that name though. i'm not talking about value, or prices - those are all relative to what we have in our pocketbooks. (for me, 200ish is the most i want to spend on a helmet for showing, which then gets replaced and the old one demoted to a schooling helmet after a season or two.) they could have called it anything else. i just find 'training' insulting and a bad marketing plan. lol.

Clear sailing
Mar. 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
Huuby's 911 does NOT have the same engine as a VW. Yes, some of the components are the same.. but not the whole engine. I suggest you find some of the porsche owners forums and say that on there. they would make the COTH crowd seem kind and loving!
As for the Mercedes cars, many manufacturers have tried and failed. Remember the BMW 318i? Dismal failure. The recent 80K VW sedan? Dismal failure? The Mercedes little hatchback? Another dismal failure. Where is the low end Jag? Oh right, they dont make one.