PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Equitation Class Times

Elisha
Mar. 24, 2010, 09:47 AM
Calling all show organizers :)
We've decided to add dressage equitation classes to our schooling show this spring (we are even holding one for adults). I'm looking at scheduling to figure out maximum number of rides for the show. About how long does a dressage eq class last? Would 10 minutes be enough time?

joiedevie99
Mar. 24, 2010, 09:53 AM
I would leave more than that. Let's say the ride before the eq ends at 10:00. Someone in warm-up then asks all riders to enter the ring for the eq. This takes at least 5 minutes. The you need to give the judge a minute to write everyone's number down and get settled before they start judging. Then I'd give at least 10 minutes to run the class- and another 5 for the judge to line everyone up, decide placings, and hand out ribbons. It's so nice when its done in the ring. So- I'd say 20 minutes if your judge can move things along, otherwise 25.

CHT
Mar. 24, 2010, 02:24 PM
The shows here left 20 minutes per Eq class I believe. But they weren't well attended. I think if there had been more than 1-6 people in the classes they would have had to leave more time.

In the smaller classes, the judge used the extra time to talk to each rider, which I thought was a lovely touch.

CLB15
Mar. 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
Our local GMO has offered dressage eq. for the last few years. It has usually been scheduled as 15 or 20 minutes (depending on the number of pre-entries for the class).

Foxhound
Mar. 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
It works well if you can schedule it right before a judge's lunch break. That way, if the class finishes early, the judge can just go to lunch and isn't waiting around for another class to start.

AM
Mar. 25, 2010, 09:54 PM
I scribed for an equitation class at a recognized show and it took longer than ten minutes. First the judge had the group walk, trot, canter as a group and she gave them each a score for each gait. That took a few minutes. Then she gave them each a pattern to ride. There was no one to tell the next person when to start, so there was wasted time between each rider. Finally the judge had to look over the score sheet and decide the placings. She then announced the placings and briefly told each rider what they needed to work on.

ArenaBallerina
Mar. 26, 2010, 09:42 AM
The first time I did the dressage seat medal semi-final at regionals, me and about 20 other riders were in the ring for an hour. Yikes! We were split into two groups then asked for walk, trot, canter, and then no stirrups. Then they made a cut to 6 riders. After that we were asked for an individual pattern. Then the next year I did it with me and one other rider. We were only asked to walk, trot, and canter together. That took about 10 minutes. At the finals we were split into two groups of about ten and asked to walk, trot, and canter. Then we all did an individual pattern. Then the top three were asked to do some more walk, trot, and canter together. This also took about an hour. I would see how many riders you end up having then give the judge a call and ask what they would prefer to do and how much time they think they would need.

Elisha
Apr. 12, 2010, 06:45 PM
I would see how many riders you end up having then give the judge a call and ask what they would prefer to do and how much time they think they would need.

That is a great idea! Thanks!

Dressage Art
Apr. 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
20 minutes right before judge's lunch or break for up to 6 riders. They need to show a judge all 3 gaits both ways, transitions, judge needs to score them and talk to them individually with explanation of their scores. Show manager should be ready with ribbons/awards at the end and judge gives out ribbons as she talks to riders.