PDA

View Full Version : County Saddle Trees-Talk to me :-)

thathorse
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
So yesterday I was noodling around with an old (prob circa 1990's) County WB. i was shocked at how much movement was possible in there. Not the gritty, angular movement you find/feel with typical tree breaks but a lot of flex both rotationally and fore-and-aft.

Is there something about county trees that makes this normal? is this tree just old and tired and in need of immediate retirement?

My last exposure to a County was in my teens--longer ago than I like to think! County aficianados, please chime in!

Elisha
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:42 AM
You should contact County and ask them....they have always been great about answering all my questions about my County.

blackhorsegirl
Mar. 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
I love my County. You need to call County or get on their website and find a County agent near you and have your saddle looked at. You're right, it could be just too old. Put it in the hands of a professional and then you'll know

buck22
Mar. 24, 2010, 05:56 PM
iirc, countys are on spring trees, at least the ones from that era are. Spring trees in general are designed to have a bit of flex to them, some claim to have flexible points too.

It is normal, when flexing a spring tree'd saddle to have a bit of give. But only a BIT, and it should be taught and springy feeling.

If you can actually see the saddle flex, or a wrinkle anywhere appears or disappears, or any sort of noise is made whatsoever, or you get the feeling that if you flex too hard you might break something, then something is broken. Might not be the wooden part of the tree, could be a rivet popped or one of the metal springs has cracked, but its still not safe to ride if its compromised in any way.

When you flex a spring tree it should be 'oh, they do give a bit don't they', not 'gee whiz! look at this thing flex!' . Thats not normal. And I've had several 80-90's countys, including a WB. I love older countys, they are my favorite saddle bar none.

Darn shame if yours is busted, but good of you to check, not many people do and can be riding around on broken tree'd saddles wondering why they have to call the chiro every other month. :)

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 24, 2010, 06:20 PM
You should really get that check on...

the saddle trees talking to you thing :)

carolprudm
Mar. 24, 2010, 06:45 PM
FWIW
Saddles | Lifetime Warranty
• Lifetime warranty on all County trees, even against accidental damage, parts only.
• 5 year unconditional warranty on County trees under normal use and conditions as determined by manufacturer, parts & labor included.
• 1 year warranty against defects in all materials and craftsmanship leading to failure of the product to perform.
• Additional 2 year warranty for materials, parts only.
• If a saddle is delivered with a defect or a defect develops within the warranty period, County has, at its sole discretion, the option to repair defects or to replace the saddle.
• To be potentially valid, all other claims must be reported within 10 days of receipt of product.
• Shipping costs to and from factory repairs not included.
• To ensure quality, all repairs must be authorized by County Saddlery, Inc. and performed at our factory or by an approved County repair person.

Course the labor to get it fixed could be pricey

mzm farm
Mar. 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Surprisingly, I was told that County did not keep track of any info on saddles prior to summer of 1994. You may or may not be able to get info from them on your particular saddle :eek:

thathorse
Mar. 24, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks all! I talk to county. very nice folks! they of course recommended a pro take it apart. had a feeling that was what they'd say!

Texarkana
Sep. 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
I know this thread is 2 years old, but did you ever have the saddle taken apart? What did they find?

I got a steal of a deal on an older County Competitor with a spring tree. The saddle has some give when you pull the cantle towards you- less than 1/2" play, but more than I'm used to.

I'd like to get it checked out by a professional saddler, I just don't know of any in my area.

Anyone ever cash in on County's lifetime warranty? The saddle was so affordable and is in good condition- if the labor isn't too expensive, I'd be willing to have them repair it.

norcalammie
Sep. 24, 2012, 12:15 AM
Not a dressage saddle but had the tree replaced on my Stabilizer. Took awhile to get the saddle back but was totally worth it as they were nice enought through my rep to change the tree from a Narrow to a Medium Narrow with the replacement tree.

I do not remember the cost but know I paid shipping to the authorized repair person but I think that was all I paid if I remember correctly.