PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Hair Suggestions

Maude
Mar. 24, 2010, 07:59 AM
Well now that I ALWAYS wear my helmet...Any suggestions for permanent helmet hair? I look awful in a baseball cap. I wear my hair full with bangs. Now I look like a drowned rat after I remove my helmet. The more I try to poof my hair the worse it gets. Maybe on of those biker chick do-rags would work? :) Skull and crossbones-NOT!

Pony Fixer
Mar. 24, 2010, 08:44 AM
I suffered same during those awkward teenage years. I still have straight hair and bangs. What I do is sweep my bangs to the side before I put on my helmet. Then when I take off my helmet and they are still damp, I "finger comb" them in whatever manner looks "best". Not always pretty, but better than "just-took-off-my-helmet" hair.

mg
Mar. 24, 2010, 08:50 AM
I pull my hair up into a bun or pony tail on top of my head and either use barrettes or those elastic headbands to keep my bangs back.

...then again, I don't care much what I look like. I just like my hair out of my face.

thatsnotme
Mar. 24, 2010, 09:31 AM
I ride before work in the mornings, get ready for work in the bathroom at the barn. So, no extra shower, just change clothes and check my face for horse snot. Now that I have committed to wearing my helmet its a bit of a pain. I took a wet to dry straightening iron (about 30 bucks a walmart) to the barn. It fixes helmet hair in 1 or 2 swipes. Ponytail the back-you're good to go!

esdressage
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
Like mg, I keep my hair in a ponytail at the barn and my bangs clipped back, and it's no problem!

Maude
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
My hair is too short for a pony tail, so...I like the curling iron idea. I think I have one around here somewhere. My hair is styled for blow drying. Baseball caps make me look like a brunette Ronald McDonald with my hair sticking out on both sides. Trying a bandanna worn around my head like a ski band (think Christopher Walken in The Deer Hunter). It's the best I've come up with so far :)

mg
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:35 PM
My hair is too short for a pony tail, so...I like the curling iron idea. I think I have one around here somewhere. My hair is styled for blow drying. Baseball caps make me look like a brunette Ronald McDonald with my hair sticking out on both sides. Trying a bandanna worn around my head like a ski band (think Christopher Walken in The Deer Hunter). It's the best I've come up with so far :)

What about a regular (non-elastic) headband? They make some pretty cute ones too...

Mozart
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:45 PM
I suffer from the drowned rat look as well, I have fine hair in shortish layers that look best after a blow dry. Usually I just go home after riding so I just skulk around in a ball cap until I can get to a shower.

If I don't have time to go home and shower I take a blow dryer with me. If I already have some "product" in my hair, even if it is a wet and sweaty mess I can usually blow dry it into some semblance of something reasonable looking. I always take blow dryer to horse shows so that I don't frighten small children between my classes.

dilligaff2
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
You can also get spray in "Dry Shampoo" for you hair if it tends to get a bit greasy after riding.

A quick spritz and it will fluff up again. I use the Ojon version:
http://www.ojon.com/products/OJRU0134UR

However, there are lots of them on the market :)

Natalie A
Mar. 24, 2010, 01:17 PM
I like some of the Lululemon headbands/wraps - they are made out of a wicking material that is pretty sweat absorbing:

http://shop.lululemon.com/women_headwear/pl/c/600.html

greenwave
Mar. 24, 2010, 01:46 PM
Non-elastic headband + ponytail, or just the headband when my hair is too short. Before mounting the headband comes off and the helmet goes on, front to back, while tilting my head back so that all of the hair which was captured by the headband is captured by the helmet. Headband goes back on once I'm off.:)

I have very fine hair and live in a hot climate - this is the only way I've found to avoid the 'drowned rat' look. If I needed to look nice after riding I'd bring a blowdryer, and perhaps a spray bottle of water if my barn did not have a shower (to re-wet before drying).

Carol O
Mar. 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
Helmet hair is cool! Flaunt it!

Seriously, I have kept a curling iron in my tack trunk, but have never used it. I think a shorter cut helps, but I am not willing to go there. I tie my hair back in a ponytail, and just let the bangs do what they will after riding. In the winter I used a close fitting pull on hood thing designed to be worn under ski helmets, and that controlled the bangs well. Otherwise, I am recently flaunting my helmet look.

My daughter is a fashion editor... I do hope she doesn't see this....

Mukluk
Mar. 25, 2010, 11:25 PM
long hair with bangs. Put hair in ponytail, push bangs straight back over my head put on helmet. It usually ends up looking OK enough after. At any rate, better bad hair than a damaged brain.

Rats
Mar. 26, 2010, 06:03 AM
I have not tried this yet myself, but I've heard a laundry tumble-dryer sheet in the helmet can help. (those little squares of stuff with fabric conditioner in.)

ArenaBallerina
Mar. 26, 2010, 09:27 AM
Lately, I have been French braiding my hair. It looks nice while around the barn and also works well under my helmet.

Stratosphere
Mar. 26, 2010, 09:14 PM
I absolutely second dry shampoo. I couldn't live without the stuff--it's such a quick fix-it and helps give fine hair oomph. Perfect for fixing helmet hair and rescuing bangs, especially when sweat is involved!

I love this Klorane all-natural one:
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P216709&categoryId=C17780&shouldPaginate=true

And I keep one of these handy Oscar Blandi ones in my tack locker. It smells sooo good:
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P209329&categoryId=C17780&shouldPaginate=true

If you have a Sephora near you, go and check out a few of the dry shampoos, as they have about four or five different brands' versions and you can try them out.

Peggy
Mar. 26, 2010, 10:12 PM
I have found that no bangs or layers work for my hair. Starting the day with clean hair with some sort of styling product also helps. If you can start fluffing and arranging it while it's still wet with sweat that sometimes helps. But I'm a college professor and we're supposed to be eccentric and I figure hat hair is part of that.

lewin
Mar. 26, 2010, 11:14 PM
Recently I have started using a weightless mousse on my hair while it is still damp post-shower. It gives my hair a bit more resiliency to bounce back from helmet hair. Helps as I need my hair to un-flatten quickly as I commute to work with a Full-Face motorcycle helmet. Those suckers are heavy and tight.

MaximumChrome
Mar. 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
I 2nd the french braid - it doesn't help with bangs, but it will keep the rest of your hair from being pancake flat. And if you take the braid out afterwards, voila, fluffy... Bangs, a little spritz and a round brush can help - I've even used my car heater (winter) and barn fan (summer) to blow the bangs dry, hahaha.

Jane Honda
Mar. 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
Being a hairdresser, I have to avoid looking gummy at all costs, especially since this is a small community. So, after I ride my motorcycle, or my horse, a cute ball cap works best for me.

I have a pink and tan Ducks Unlimited cap that I adore... I've been thinking about buying an Ariat cap with the snaffle bit pretty on it as well. I'm a hat girl.

KateKat
Mar. 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
ditto on dry shampoo. It fluffs up your hair, gives it some hold and texture. After spritzing on some of that stuff, just blast with your blowdryer and give a couple brushes and you should be as close to normal as you can be without taking a shower.

I use the Big Sexy Hair, but as someone else mentioned there are quite a few brands out there.

MOB
Mar. 30, 2010, 09:51 AM
There was an article in one of the magazines a few years ago interviewing Meredith Michaels Beerbaum after she fell off at one of the big shows. She hopped up, took off her helmet, and her hair was perfect! She said she used Bumble and Bumble Hair Powder and it fluffed her hair right up after the helmet was removed. I told one of my hunter/jumper friends and she now uses it too and says it works terrific.