PDA

View Full Version : Hollandia Farms, NY

sonomacounty
Mar. 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
I recently drove by Hollandia Farms (or what ever it was last called), you know - Harry DeLeyer/Snowman, etc. The front gate was closed and there was lots of new cesspools and some bulldozers.

Is the whole thing sold?

Where did the fellow who owned (?) it go off to (Winters)?

Sad, very sad. :(

X3allie
Mar. 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
last i heard,
it was taken over by a new bunch of people, who were keeping it horse property, but making improvements. Hopefully that hasnt changed!

S A McKee
Mar. 23, 2010, 10:49 PM
Why would this be sad?

Harry hasn't lived in NY for many years.

The property is being totally rebuilt and that's a good thing. It was in need of repairs.

http://www.silveroakstable.com/index.html

sonomacounty
Mar. 23, 2010, 11:04 PM
Oh, cool. It looked like it was going to be made into houses.

Well, this is not sad, then :winkgrin:.

tcgelec
Mar. 24, 2010, 06:27 AM
I drove past the farm this week also and was shocked. It appears that the area to the left of the main driveway, with paddocks, has been re-fenced and the main barn and indoor are still there. It looks like everything to the right of the main driveway has been demolished, including the shedrow barn, the lower barn, and the large turnout which was a former cross country course.

I don't know the details, but being in construction I can tell you that it certainly appears to be a subdivision. I've never seen that much drainage installed for any horsey purpose. And the contractors have set up an office trailer "village" usually seen on long term construction projects.

Winters moved out about two years ago. They had operated it as Waterford Stables. They did not own the facility, they leased it from the DeLeyer family. My understanding was that the DeLeyers sold it to a group of individuals who were making it into a private horse facility for their own use.

Not sure if the property was subdivided by the DeLeyers or sold to the new owners who then subdivided it, but from all appearances, it's going to be half horsey and half houses.

lesgarcons
Mar. 24, 2010, 06:50 AM
The Silver Oak Stable website mentions the following: "All approvals have been obtained for site plan and sub-division..."

Yet the map of the facilities, found here (http://www.silveroakstable.com/facilities.html), doesn't seem to include any houses, other than 3 employee residences.

Very confusing.

dutchboy
Mar. 24, 2010, 07:53 AM
Wow. I remember showing there when they used snow fence to mark the rings, and you had to watch out for the rocks on the outside course!! Old, old, old.

Eventer55
Mar. 24, 2010, 08:10 AM
When I was very, very ,very young a long time ago I rode a horse called Dutch Love. She's the reason I love Tbs. Not sure if she was a full Tb, but probably and she came from Harry's.

War Admiral
Mar. 24, 2010, 09:00 AM
Wow. I remember showing there when they used snow fence to mark the rings, and you had to watch out for the rocks on the outside course!! Old, old, old.

Not to derail the thread, but you know, I would actually give ANYTHING to be able to get some of that nice old cedar-type snow fencing to do a ring with. Of course, it doesn't snow here in the South, so nobody sells it, but boy that stuff lasted forever!!

BAC
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:35 AM
. . .It looks like everything to the right of the main driveway has been demolished, . . . and the large turnout which was a former cross country course.

. . .Not sure if the property was subdivided by the DeLeyers or sold to the new owners who then subdivided it, but from all appearances, it's going to be half horsey and half houses.

Much of the property was sold years ago, I think either at the time of Harry and Joanna's divorce or afterwards and the old outside course has had housing on it for ages. Originally I believe Hollandia was about 40-50 acres and accordiing to the new website it is now 26. It was in sad shape even in the 60's so I'm glad its being renovated and that horses will still be living there.

And I'm not sure how true this is, but someone told me that the property had been purchased by a client of Marty DeLeyer's, who has his own farm, Dutch Manor I think it is called.

S A McKee
Mar. 24, 2010, 07:55 PM
And I'm not sure how true this is, but someone told me that the property had been purchased by a client of Marty DeLeyer's, who has his own farm, Dutch Manor I think it is called.

Correct !!

PineTreeFarm
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
Much of the property was sold years ago, I think either at the time of Harry and Joanna's divorce or afterwards and the old outside course has had housing on it for ages. Originally I believe Hollandia was about 40-50 acres and accordiing to the new website it is now 26. It was in sad shape even in the 60's so I'm glad its being renovated and that horses will still be living there.

I had horses at Hollandia in the 70's so I'm happy to see it continue as a farm.

As noted the new owners are clients of Marty. In fact, if you look at these links there are quite a few shots of Marty showing the Silver Oaks horses.

http://silveroakstable.com/sales_leasing.html
http://silveroakstable.com/services.html