PDA

View Full Version : Classical vs. "quick-fix" dressage

dressagerevolution
Mar. 23, 2010, 11:06 PM
I wanted to bring to the attention of CoH’s members a new not-for-profit website on classical dressage, DressageRevolution.com, that will likely be of interest to many riders here. This website exposes the specific problems with the modern front-to-back and adversarial method of riding and elucidates how and why we can return to classical ideals. It uses candid photos and videos of real riders to show you exactly the differences between correct and incorrect dressage training.

Dressage Revolution is not affiliated with any particular training program; rather, we are simply trying to help riders relearn the joy of systematically developing their horses into willing, light, athletic partners.

If you’re interested in helping us change dressage for the better, I invite you to visit us at:
http://www.dressagerevolution.com

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:01 AM
May I recommend adding Paul Belasik's books to the list of good classical reads. Fantastic website! It would be nice if there were a "contact us"

Liz
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
Seriously, to the people who created that website.....don't you have something better to do with your time? Nothing new, same videos on Anky then Klimke. Yawn.

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
I read for about a minute.

When I got to something like (quoted about top level riders) im paraphrasing here "Where is the lightness?" I hit x.

If the classical trainers that your using, or reading, or watching on youtube, are better at creating a lighter horse, then you bet your bottom dollar they would be a "top rider" as well.

5WhiteSocks
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
Seriously, to the people who created that website.....don't you have something better to do with your time? Nothing new, same videos on Anky then Klimke. Yawn.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Libera
Mar. 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
Haven't read much of it, one look at the "correct" photos tells me some of them are photoshopped. No thanks...

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 01:05 PM
Tiresome.

Mrsmph
Mar. 24, 2010, 02:31 PM
As a relatively new student of dressage, I have to ask, why do these classical principles not make it into the winning rides that we see so much of? why is the "incorrect" riding winning?

egontoast
Mar. 24, 2010, 03:15 PM
why is the "incorrect" riding winning?

Maybe it isn't incorrect.

PS I'm curious. Is this the website that mbm and karoline have been working on? The "about" page gives no names or credentials for the 'expert' analysis.

Carol O
Mar. 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
I hear a train a'comin'. Brakes squealing....

Mrsmph
Mar. 24, 2010, 03:25 PM
I hear a train a'comin'. Brakes squealing....

choo choo!

(exiting gracefully, stage left)
<-------------

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 03:57 PM
Interesting Egon. If that is so, it's a case of the blind leading the deaf.

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
Oh my!

The last photo on there is a horrible photo shop!

Whats the deal?

Reddfox
Mar. 24, 2010, 04:59 PM
Just hopping on the train and then bailing out to answer the questions about why classical riders aren't in the show ring or winning in the show ring...I take regular lessons with a classical rider/trainer - and he is more interested in the "journey" and the act of training than in showing or garnering ribbons/prizes. So, he bypasses that world as a whole. Classicists seem to have a tendency to believe that the show ring is a way to achieve self-validation. Also, classical riders seem to gravitate toward the more baroque breeds that are not as popular in the ring.

K- bye!

mjhco
Mar. 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
Anything on the internet makes it 'TRUE"

xQHDQ
Mar. 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
The problem is than many people think they are riding "classical" dressage when they are really riding front to back. That's more of the problem than people who purposely ride "incorrect" or "quick-fix" dressage.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
Reddfox, I disagree. I show, but the success I've experienced has been due to following correct training practices. No shortcuts. Yes, the journey is indeed more important than the destination. That's why I took a whole year to rehabilitate my horse. A "quick fix" would have ruined him forever.

There are plenty of Baroque breeds showing, and plenty of "non-Baroque" breeds that never enter a show ring. There are plenty of so-called "classical" riders who show. They are classical because they tell us so. Must be true, right?

I dislike the labels that people here are constantly trying to stick on others. There is good riding and bad riding. That's it.

Labelling Steffen Peters as one of the "bad" is just dumb.

Pony Fixer
Mar. 24, 2010, 05:21 PM
If you are gonna start a "revolution", maybe you should spell check and make sure your labels match your photos.

And I also wonder about the "author(s)"--if it's who I assume, looking at her blog some time ago I was underwhelmed by her training and her horse's progress....

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 24, 2010, 05:27 PM
Can somebody PULEASE give me some quick fixes lol

I show, and the "Journey" is long as hell :lol:

I have a baroque type horse,and the classical trainers have tried to get their hands on him enough times for sure.

But like above said, they ride like crap (paraphrasing here) lol and so I dont let them near him.

He CAN stretch to the bridle, AND go in a long frame even for his breed. No upper level training in hand here ladies :lol::lol: I want him to do the job WITHOUT using his ability to do "collection" at birth. Its not real anyway.

Classical is just another word for I dont want to relearn how to REALLY ride and so therefore if I get in front of a judge my horse cant go to the bit well enough to get a decent score so I dont even try... Want to wear my cape?

Sorry, but thats my experience so far :(

Reddfox
Mar. 24, 2010, 05:43 PM
I dislike the labels that people here are constantly trying to stick on others. There is good riding and bad riding. That's it.

Labelling Steffen Peters as one of the "bad" is just dumb.

I agree whole-heartedly with you on these points.

Equibrit
Mar. 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Citing Jim Wofford in support of "Classical Dressage" is a head scratcher.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 07:47 PM
Equibrit, love your sig line!

egontoast
Mar. 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
I wanted to bring to the attention of CoH’s members a new not-for-profit website on classical dressage, DressageRevolution.com, that will likely be of interest to many riders here. This website exposes the specific problems with the modern front-to-back and adversarial method of riding and elucidates how and why we can return to classical ideals. It uses candid photos and videos of real riders to show you exactly the differences between correct and incorrect dressage training.

Dressage Revolution is not affiliated with any particular training program; rather, we are simply trying to help riders relearn the joy of systematically developing their horses into willing, light, athletic partners.

If you’re interested in helping us change dressage for the better, I invite you to visit us at:

If you want people to join you I think you will have to say who you are.

YOOHOO! is it mbm and Karoline?

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 08:06 PM
I find the anonymity of that site very strange indeed. As if the credibility would go down the toilet if the site owners were known.

Too late.

Fail!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Mar. 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
I have to agree with other the posters here, and I even consider myself (at least theoretically, my skills may not always be there yet) on the classical side. This is a poorly done knock-off of some more serious "classical" dressage sites. A lot of the photos are just bad riding, presumably people learning, not intentionally trying to quick-fix anything.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'd equate it to that Nevzerov fellow's website that portrays anyone riding with a bit to be a barbarian. His site contains a wealth of awful riding photos.

Propaganda. That's all it is. Not even well done.

goeslikestink
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:19 PM
have you asked the owners for permission to use there videos and picture
you might have taken there faces out of the pics but your a bit daft -
as any rider knows there horses
so therefore your site is breech of copyright rules

and i have reported it for those reasons as i cannot think why coth would support such propaganda

as coth is a well respected mag and bb

ThreeFigs
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:23 PM
Ruh Roh!

Don Raphaelo Rollkurista
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:34 PM
Bravo!
Don Raphaelo Rollkurista

betonbill
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:49 PM
Guess I just got an F in "Classical Dressage 101." Some of the "bad" horses looked pretty good to me.

dressurpferd01
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:54 PM
I find myself in some strange, backwards, parallel universe where I'm agreeing with egontoast...

This site is complete BS, utterly worthless without solid credentials to back it up.

To the OP: post some pictures of your riding and let us rip them apart, it wil be fun, right?

5WhiteSocks
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
It seems that both COTH and UDBB have banned the fanatics and now they are playing in their own sandbox :lol::lol:

admin
Mar. 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
Closing this due to advertising of another site.

Moderator 3