PDA

View Full Version : Field vs. Dress boots

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:56 PM
At what level should I run out and buy dress boots? I show in my field boots right now, and am wondering when I need to lay out the cash for dress boots. I am now exclusive dressage, but I'd rather put off the expense of new boots as long as I can. Thanks!

pintopiaffe
Mar. 22, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'm not worrying about wearing dressboots until I get a shad.

It's still legal then to wear fields, but, tradition and all that. ;)

Meanwhile, I have a pair, but since I wrecked my knee, getting them off is the issue... so fields it is.

No one really even notices, not to mention cares--except the rider of course. And one of my favorite, favorite riders in NEDA growing up had a bad knee, and I remember so vividly her wearing field boots with her gorgeous real black dressage frock (back when most wore hunt jackets) and top hat, right up through to FEI... Back then 3rd & 4th were pretty rare sights--and it's just a funny little detail I remember seeing those really fancy tests. She looked so cool. I wanted field boots too. :lol:

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Mar. 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
I think you will really find you ride a lot better in nice stiff dress boots. I can't explain the why or the how, but its just amazing. I recommend the Ariat Maestros (without the zipper up the back) for a good cheap dress boot, you can often find them on sale in the $300 range.

K.
Mar. 22, 2010, 10:24 PM
I agree with this! I love my fieldboots to death.. as anyone can tell when they see them. but I LOVE riding in my dress boots if I am not jumping or going for a hack!

I think you will really find you ride a lot better in nice stiff dress boots. I can't explain the why or the how, but its just amazing. I recommend the Ariat Maestros (without the zipper up the back) for a good cheap dress boot, you can often find them on sale in the $300 range.

where!!!
lol
I have been trying to find a pair on sale in my size to replace my old ones that really are no longer suitable for the ring... unfortunately I can't find any 8.5 RT... do you know of any?

Mar. 22, 2010, 11:45 PM
Here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ARIAT-Tall-8-5-maestro-Pro-Dressage-Boot-Worn5x_W0QQitemZ260573773120QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Women_s_Shoes?hash=item3cab683d40

Your Welcome. :-)

Mar. 22, 2010, 11:46 PM
Without the zipper, but size 9.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARIAT-MAESTRO-DRESS-BOOT-SZ-9-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ280480791975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item414df53da7

Mar. 22, 2010, 11:49 PM
Not in your size but may help others:

http://www.dressage-ext.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=6093

K.
Mar. 22, 2010, 11:58 PM
you rock!!!
I think I must be the worst searcher ever!!! I knew about the ones on Dressage extensions..but hadn't found any others
THANKS!!!

JellyBeanQueen
Mar. 23, 2010, 01:27 AM
At the barn I have an old pair of dress boots.....very much worn and kind of floppy in the ankles. They are older than dirt but I love them. I'm not exclusive Dressage but when I show Hunt Seat I often wear my Feild boots. Mostly for comfort over fashion. I only wear them like 4 or 5 times a year so they stay nice and clean.

Gry2Yng
Mar. 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
I wore field boots down the center line with my shad at Rolex. My Dress boots wouldn't fit and I hated them anyway. Sold them on ebay shortly after that and have never looked back. Treat yourself when you can, but don't go in debt for some silly "rule". FWIW, I was always told 2nd level.

mjhco
Mar. 23, 2010, 12:57 PM
The main thing is that your boots fit WELL.

I wore my field boots even competing at I1.

I now have a pair of dress boots as well.

NO ONE EVER commented on my field boots. EVER. Except to comment on how well they fit. (They are custom.)

hoopoe
Mar. 24, 2010, 09:00 AM
dress boots are not required, they are a convention. Field boots are fine at any level

Buy them when your field boots get so worn they just are not good enough for show

I like my Petrie Anky boots, a good value