PDA

View Full Version : ever use those headphone thingies?

paintjumper
Mar. 22, 2010, 01:40 PM
When taking a lesson, have you used those headphone amplifiers where the trainer talks normally (instead of screaming and loosing his voice by the last rider). I can't remember the names of any of these little gadgets. I'd like to get one but I don't want to waste my $. Thanks.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Mar. 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
I've used them as a recipient. I find it very useful, not only can I always hear my coach's instructions, but it helps when there are more than one trainer working in the same space. I find it helps me focus too, as I know that I'll be able to hear my coach and won't miss/misunderstand an instruction.

I vote go for it!

myhorsefaith
Mar. 22, 2010, 01:59 PM
YES!! and it is the best thing ever! i've always suffered in lessons not being able to hear...and i love that the trainer is literally in your ear- for some reason i seem to absorb the instruction much much better.

yaya
Mar. 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
Yep. We use the Eartec one, and it's good for the trainer at home so she doesn't lose her voice, and it's EXCELLENT at shows so I can hear her over all the other trainers yelling.

Mudroom
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have a hearing problem, even with my hearing aids. It has made a world of difference. Not only do I now hear all of my trainer's input, but both of us have a much lower level of frustration and tension.

dwblover
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:41 PM
I just used one for the first time in a recent clinic. Totally worth the money. It's like having the instructor right there on the horse with you. No shouting or straining to hear. It did make life tough for the auditors though.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:44 PM
YES!! and it is the best thing ever! i've always suffered in lessons not being able to hear...and i love that the trainer is literally in your ear- for some reason i seem to absorb the instruction much much better.

SAME :yes::yes::yes:

Good for the horses to they don't associate a grounds person with better riding.

Quest52
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:46 PM
how much do they cost?

Silver~Image~Farm
Mar. 22, 2010, 03:55 PM
I love working with those on!!!!....Helps me focus on MY ride....on the "down" side for my trainer......when my mare and I have "catfight moments" he hasta turn HIS volume down:winkgrin:.....Don't forget if you have the piece where you can answer your trainer that they can hear EVERYTHING you say while you're ridin:lol: (ask me how i know;)).....

TSWJB
Mar. 22, 2010, 05:26 PM
my old trainer lost her voice and made us wear the head phones for lessons. it worked, but i was a bit wierded out having to share ear phones that someone else had used the lesson before. i guess if you got your own it would be better.

lizathenag
Mar. 22, 2010, 05:31 PM
we used them in the deKunffy clinics. the folks near him could hear and the rider could really hear well. It took a bit to thread the wire through the helmet (which I always wear) but I finally figured it out.

Lone
Mar. 22, 2010, 06:31 PM
My favorite clinician has them and they're fantastic! Especially if you're riding in a big arena, or you're outside and it's windy.

You're not having to spend any energy or brain power trying to hear the instructions, you can just focus directly on the riding and what the instructor is saying.

paintjumper
Mar. 22, 2010, 06:34 PM
I was afraid it was one of those "good ideas" that never worked as well as you thought it should. I'm off to see what i can find!

egontoast
Mar. 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
yes, when they work they are great. When they start cutting out they are not great. Make sure your trainer wants to use them before buying them.

I liked them but my trainer stopped using them because they were eating batteries.

atr
Mar. 22, 2010, 06:57 PM
Love 'em.

I call them the "brain transplant" because I can be so much more focussed and in the moment with them on.

However, you do have to be careful not to get toooo focussed if oyu are sharing the arena with anyone else...

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Mar. 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
Is there a cheap way to go about rigging one up? I mean walkie talkies are what, $20? Can you buy some sort of ear thingy to go with a walkie talkie? Anyone got any good cheapy systems? What do you use?

myhorsefaith
Mar. 22, 2010, 07:56 PM
I call them the "brain transplant" because I can be so much more focussed and in the moment with them on.

Haha, i always call it my " being john malkovich" device. :D

Megaladon
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:04 PM
Yes! Super great. Walter Zettl uses this nifty little device--perfect for those cold weather clinics!! :) I think it was attached to my helmet by a very large scrunchie type thing...don't know for sure though. Still an awesome device though!!

CatOnLap
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:06 PM
of course you can always use your handsfree earphone/microphone from your cellphone and just have a loooong cellphone conversation.
I suggest you DO NOT TEXT WHILE RIDING however :lol:

In Canada these communication devices are not legal in the warmup or show ring.

Puddin Pie
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:12 PM
Cat: funny, probably illegal in NC now, at least while driving! Our barn got together the year before last and chipped in to get a set for the barn manager/ trainer. She loves them! They really help and are great on a windy day. She was losing her voice and trying to use a megaphone. I think you can use your own head phones. I think the over the ear ear buds might stay in ok, like for your ipod.

opel
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:36 PM
They're great! I have severe hearing loss in my left ear. Never knew how much I was missing until I tried one of these gadgets. The "ear cradle-type" ear buds work best for me and feel the most stable. There are a couple $300-range systems that work just fine. I've also used a blue tooth cell phone thingy and just had the instructor call the cell phone. This worked but not quite as well. The blue tooth wasn't very stable on a bouncing horse and the whole cell phone call gets to be cumbersome.

SBrentnall
Mar. 22, 2010, 09:53 PM
The other great thing about them is that the instructor can make many more small comments, whereas when they're yelling they tend to just say the big stuff.

Ysabel
Mar. 22, 2010, 11:16 PM
I love them - I wish all trainers had them. My hearing sucks and it is nice when my trainer doesn't have to scream at me all the time. :-)

kpony
Mar. 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
The one my trainer has works with regular iPod type earbuds so I use my own. There is also a mono earbud type thing that works with her system at Radio Shack for less than $10.

katarine
Mar. 23, 2010, 05:41 PM
I've gone the cheap route with walkie talkies in the past. Won't work if it's a busy arena as it will bug everyone hearing that amplified chatter, but some walkie talkies have ear bud options, though, so you as a student could wear it in an arm band like runners wear to carry their iPods. They have a hands free option so whatever you say is heard back and forth.

KatherineC
Mar. 23, 2010, 07:59 PM
My trainer bought the unit last year and I love it. I find she says more because she doesn't have to yell. She can also use the loudness of her voice to get me to pay attention more. Where as before she was always yelling so it was hard to hear a difference.

Also very useful at shows. You can easily hear your trainer and not have to filter her voice from everyone else's.

magienoire
Mar. 24, 2010, 10:19 AM
I used to board in a barn that had the Comtek system for clinics. It was great, since we only had an outdoor arena. The regular clinic attendees just brought their own headphones. the barn also had a speaker setup on a receiver so that auditors could hear what the clinician was saying as well.

I really miss that, it was such a nice luxury. If the unit wasn't $1K, I'd buy one for myself!

snbess
Mar. 25, 2010, 11:24 AM
The one my trainer uses allows use of your personal ipod earbuds as well. I like it and my helmet also helps to keep the earbuds in place. One side benefit is that while using that, my trainer doesn't yell anymore. Not that she did much before, but now she really won't because she'd blast our eardrums out. lol

She just has to stand by the video camera now, so I can hear her...and she's really good about that.

caddym
Mar. 25, 2010, 07:47 PM
So, my trainer's birthday is this sunday. I've decided to splurge for this. Which should I buy.

(I don't care if I can't get them by sunday, I'll just wrap a picture)