PDA

View Full Version : Decent-looking girth that prevents slipping?

Sparkling_Sunset
Mar. 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
My new pony has a table-top flat back with now withers, and even though I make the gith fairly tight, the saddle still always slips somewhat to the left when I get on. I'm using a Classic Equine Soft Touch girth right now, which he seems to like, but the slipping worries me. I know the Pro Choice ones are supposed to prevent slipping, but I've seen a lot of horses that seem to hate them. (And plus I think they're kind of tacky-looking)

I was think maybe of the Lettia Clik, Ovation Airform/Thorowgood/SmartPak girth, or maybe the Ovation Alfa Gel one. Or, do you think sheepskin would be too slippery? I have a sheepskin cover for my girthes, but I'm hesitant ot use it with him because I'm afraid of the slipping.

Any suggestions? Do those Gekko/NunnFiner non-slip pads under the saddle make a difference?

ESG
Mar. 21, 2010, 08:31 PM
There's not a girth in existence that will keep a saddle from slipping a bit, on a horse with the conformation you describe. My only suggestion to you is to use a mounting block.

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Mar. 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
I got one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Fabulous-Delfina-Anatomical-Contour-Dressage-Girth-24_W0QQitemZ250597626589QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3a58c852dd)and I'm very happy with it.

alibi_18
Mar. 22, 2010, 01:25 AM
Same as ESG...there is no pads or girths that really can prevent a badly fitted saddle from slipping...and you should not rely on that.

Have your saddle checked. And use a mounting block.

Barrel shaped horse/pony are quite difficult to fit but that's life!!!

jonhny25
Mar. 22, 2010, 06:29 AM
There's not a girth in existence that will keep a saddle from slipping a bit, on a horse with the conformation you describe. My only suggestion to you is to use a mounting block.

Agree with these, but one question, what type of mounting block you recommended.

Bogey2
Mar. 22, 2010, 06:34 AM
we have resorted to using a crupper, even on a horse in the past. It was just the only way to keep the saddle off the shoulders.

Equi88
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:12 AM
I found that a regular long string girth is doing the best job of keeping a saddle in place. I ride a mare with an impossible back (barrel shaped, no withers, flat), and every saddle tends to slide somewhat.

If I use my dressage saddle with the short billetts, I use the prof. choice girth and a thinline pad. Nothing sheepskin!!

quietann
Mar. 22, 2010, 11:16 AM
A contour girth may help.

Also, a breastplate or crupper (both are legal below the FEI levels of dressage) will help hold the saddle *once you are mounted*.

quietann
Mar. 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
Agree with these, but one question, what type of mounting block you recommended.

My preference is for the three step ones. They should be heavy (and many have a storage compartment so you could even put heavy things inside to make them heavier!)

The two-step ones are less expensive but I've had them fall over while I was using them.