PDA

View Full Version : Copper mouth bit

nightmoves
Mar. 21, 2010, 02:01 PM
Is it dressage legal? Specifically this one with copper mouth and stainless rings. http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=HMLRSB

SillyHorse
Mar. 21, 2010, 02:34 PM
Absolutely legal.

zakkandtoto
Mar. 21, 2010, 05:02 PM
You're kidding me?

The trainer at my barn has been telling us all that bits with copper (or Aurigan) mouth pieces aren't legal, but totally copper bits (rings included) would be. We've been driving ourselves mad looking for affordable all copper/aurigan snaffles.

I've searched at half dozen catalogs wondering why they're selling so many illegal bits.

Her explanation for the alleged illegality was that copper and aurigan soften the mouth, encouraging salivation which would be seen as 'cheating' in the eyes of the judges.

Oh my God...

KBEquine
Mar. 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure if the rules have changed, but years ago, if the mouthpiece was of 2 different metals, it was illegal. But if the mouthpiece was a single metal or alloy & the rings were a different metal, it was OK.

nightmoves
Mar. 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
This is why I'm having a hard time finding out if it's legal. LOL I heard if the mouth was copper and the rings were stainless that it WASN'T legal and I'm trying to confirm because this is the size bit I need and I don't have many options (pony).

SillyHorse
Mar. 21, 2010, 09:06 PM
You're having a "hard time finding out if it's legal"? Go read the rule book. It's not that hard. Really.

Sorry zakkandtoto, but your trainer is woefully misinformed.

mjhco
Mar. 21, 2010, 09:23 PM
RTFM

myrna
Mar. 21, 2010, 09:43 PM
the "2 metal rule" was dropped quite a while ago.

nightmoves
Mar. 21, 2010, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=SillyHorse;4757822]You're having a "hard time finding out if it's legal"? Go read the rule book. It's not that hard. Really.

QUOTE]

I should have it just takes so long to find anything in the rule book online. I thought that's why we frequented these forums but I guess not.

nightmoves
Mar. 21, 2010, 09:54 PM
RTFM

Nice, how about stfu

alibi_18
Mar. 21, 2010, 11:54 PM
You're kidding me?

The trainer at my barn has been telling us all that bits with copper (or Aurigan) mouth pieces aren't legal, but totally copper bits (rings included) would be. We've been driving ourselves mad looking for affordable all copper/aurigan snaffles.

I've searched at half dozen catalogs wondering why they're selling so many illegal bits.

Her explanation for the alleged illegality was that copper and aurigan soften the mouth, encouraging salivation which would be seen as 'cheating' in the eyes of the judges.

Oh my God...

What a weird explanation...
Why would encouraging salivation be seen as cheating?!?
Companies are developping new bits, new pads, new saddles, new girths, new everything for the horse to be/feel better...ergonomic bits, humane spurs, humane girths, wider channel for saddles, ergonomic padded bridles, alloys that taste good and are nickel free, memory foam pads...
How having a horse that is more comfortable in his tack be considered as 'cheating'?

It always take a certain time for new equipement to be tested and approved for shows but lots of people are always pushing new improved gears to be admit. And there is some every year. That is why reading the rules once in a while is a good thing to keep our approved tack update!
Have a look of the new kind of bridle that's been approved this year!

Also, depending on your federation, some bits might be approved like at FEI level and not your regional section...

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
What a weird explanation...
Why would encouraging salivation be seen as cheating?!?
alloys that taste good ...

How having a horse that is more comfortable in his tack be considered as 'cheating'?

I guess that depends on your opinion. IMO, it IS cheating to use a metal that is irritating to the skin to get the salivation. Copper, Aurigan, German Silver all are irritating to mouth tissues. They cause the mouth to water in response.

Salivation is SUPPOSED to be a test to see if the horse has a relaxed mouth/jaw. To show if he is properly mouthing the bit. Irritating his skin to make his mouth water is not the same thing.

I don't want my horse's mouth irritated, so I use Stainless steel bits.

alibi_18
Mar. 22, 2010, 01:21 AM
It can't be considered as cheating....it's accepted in the FEI rules...

Nickel can cause rash in the mouth 'cause horses are often allergic.

Aurigan does not contain any.

Stainless does.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 22, 2010, 01:26 AM
Put a clean bit into your own mouth for a few seconds, and you will feel the burn/tingle/irritation. Stainless steel doesn't do that.

SillyHorse
Mar. 22, 2010, 08:24 AM
You're having a "hard time finding out if it's legal"? Go read the rule book. It's not that hard. Really.

I should have it just takes so long to find anything in the rule book online. I thought that's why we frequented these forums but I guess not.
You go to the rulebook, you type "bits" in the search box, and there it is. And if you don't find exactly what you're looking for on the first try, you just hit your enter key until you do.

Using a forum like this to find out the rules will, I promise you, bite you in the butt one day. You are WAY better off spending whatever time it takes to find the real and true answer in the rule book.

If you read a rule and you're confused by it, and that happens to all of us from time to time, there are people here, Janet in particular, who can explain in plain English what the rule writers are trying to say. But for the most part, the rules are pretty easy to understand. Looking it up and knowing a rule is much safer than relying on people on an internet forum who, often, haven't read the rules, either.