PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a dressage prospect?

Anteup
Mar. 20, 2010, 10:29 AM
Is there a market for this type of animal in the dressage world? I ride H/J so I just don't know. Where would you advertise this kind of pony if he is suitable for dressage? He's a coming 5 yr old 14.2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUPqTDfrk4

ESG
Mar. 20, 2010, 10:37 AM
Looks to be a very sweet pony, and very obedient and well trained, considering its age. I would not consider this a dressage prospect, however. Gaits, especially the walk, have a tendency to be lateral, and there isn't as much engagement behind as one would expect to see in a dressage horse, even a lower level one. This pony would make a very nice local level hunter, IMO.

Anteup
Mar. 20, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I broke him myself last year and did very little on him, just trail rides because he was so young. He's been ridden about 3 times in the last month, and hadn't done anything since last summer. So he's not trained! Just VERY quiet and so easy. He also up until 3 rides ago only went in a hackamore, so he really doesn't know how to steer or anything, the last 3 rides were just working on the stop go and steer, and l really did NOTHING on the video, just fluffed him around. He's just so easy!

Equibrit
Mar. 20, 2010, 11:10 AM
I am of the opposing opinion. With good training he would make a nice dressage pony. He's pretty smart in the way that he adjusts his balance. Once he gets all that sorted out, he will be able to relax and stretch lot more. Then - you'll have a "trainable" little chap !

rugbygirl
Mar. 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
He looks like a "normal" pony right now, one with a nice trainable personality. He's only green broke, but seems to have the right idea on "forward" and is very willing.

No idea why he would be relegated to "local Hunter only" prospect at this stage. I'm not a pony-person, but I've definitely seen less spectacular ponies winning on the A circuit here. I secretly covet a pony, so I like to watch them go.

He isn't super fancy, but he is good-looking with nice self-carriage. His JUMP is what would sell him as a Hunter.

He doesn't have heart-stopping natural gaits...but he has all the foundation and build ideas to be quite good at Dressage. No, not an FEI prospect in the HORSE world...but look at the pony tests. I see no reason this guy couldn't be quite nice with more training.

Anteup
Mar. 20, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cool, thanks everybody, I free jumped him once when he was a 3yr old and was actually pretty impressed with his form, but I made this video for someone who was looking for a dressage pony...she was going to talk to her trainer and has yet to get back to me. I was just wondering. Oh, and she said she thought he looked unsound...but I guess no one else sees that, I certainly didn't. I think maybe she was making excuses.

preferred
Mar. 20, 2010, 02:19 PM
A trainer once told me
"you can improve the trot and create the canter but you have to buy the walk"

with that said this pony is not tracking up well enough on a loose rein. I don't think much of the head movement as he may just be using his neck and head for balance which is common until they learn to carry themselves and engage their hind ends.

however, all horses and ponies benefit from dressage so keep on working at it, he may make a nice eventer for one very happy rider:D

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
I told another poster this so Ill tell you the same :)

If you can ride a very correct test at the lower levels, he/she will be right as rain.

egontoast
Mar. 20, 2010, 03:00 PM
I didn't watch the whole video but I thought he looked like quite a handy little guy .

I broke him myself last year and did very little on him, just trail rides because he was so young. He's been ridden about 3 times in the last month, and hadn't done anything since last summer

So he's still very green and moves like he is still getting used to weight on his back. That can affect the gaits. I bet his gaits will improve as he builds strength and muscles over the topline. Cute guy! No telling what he can do.

ESG
Mar. 20, 2010, 04:47 PM
Cool, thanks everybody, I free jumped him once when he was a 3yr old and was actually pretty impressed with his form, but I made this video for someone who was looking for a dressage pony...she was going to talk to her trainer and has yet to get back to me. I was just wondering. Oh, and she said she thought he looked unsound,...but I guess no one else sees that, I certainly didn't.

Weeeellllll, he is quite short behind, at the walk, in the beginning of the video, as well as having quite a lateral walk. I can understand someone looking seriously at a horse to buy thinking he's NQR - I probably would, in his case. He gets better towards the end, after the full WTC in both directions. But in something that young, you could either be looking at a lack of balance, or some mechanical/soundness issue. I would personally not buy a dressage prospect with a walk like his. No offense intended.

I think maybe she was making excuses.

No, just being a bit cautious, I think. :yes:

Beentheredonethat
Mar. 20, 2010, 09:38 PM
Just my two cents. Looks like a cute pony to me. I don't see a lateral walk. I see a really good walk, especially on such a young horse on what looks like could be less than ideal/even terrain. He really steps forward from behind up underneath himself. Sometimes horses with a huge walk look lateral--I think it was Monica Theodorescue's horse at the World Cup had a walk similar, and got 5's and 10's on the walk in the same ride.

I did see a little unevenness in the walk at the beginning, but I think it's the terrain more than anything else. I love that he's so active in the walk, but it may be making it seem not so good as some people are seeing.

I think in anything but super gaited horses, it's hard to see in young or unconditioned horses. I look at the hind end and how they use it. In all three gaits there is a pretty wide separation of the hind legs and a willingness to step under himself. That's what I like to see. If you pause him at the walk and canter especially, he has a pretty nice inverted V between the hind legs--to me that indicates soundness and an ability to be able to use himself.

I don't know that much about ponies, but for a young, unconditioned guy, he looks like a nice dressage prospect to me. Honestly, if you want to get something that more people can see his quality, I would get him in a nice arena. He's probably dealing with little holes or unevenness, ground that is too hard and soft in spots, and whatnot, so it's hard to be super even and rhythmic. I think he's nice.

Pony Fixer
Mar. 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
Actually, my first thought was "Cute pony, too bad he's lame." In the front.

mjhco
Mar. 21, 2010, 03:33 PM
I wondered about the footing as well.

I would say, go ahead and work him. Work him toward more self carriage and push from behind.

Enjoy! And you never know what you might have.

Chall
Mar. 21, 2010, 03:41 PM
I think he looks completely fine, no lameness at all. Actually, just like a little machine! I think he's very nice.
Edit: I took a second look. In the very beginning he does look like he's head bobbing as he walks down hill. The rest of the video I couldn't tell because the head/neck line is not visible to me against the dark woods. Looking at just his legs he looks good, but I can't tell what the head is doing.

Gestalt
Mar. 21, 2010, 04:17 PM
I never made it past the first minute. It's really boring watching a horse walk. Cute looking little pony though. :)

Shiaway
Mar. 21, 2010, 05:22 PM
The walk does have a tendency to be lateral but I've seen a lot worse. Really I don't see anything to really not like about him. He looks like he has a good temperament. You're riding him quick and so I'm willing to bet the walk would improve if it was a little less rushed. But he's really young and green so considering that he seems like he'd make someone a fun little dressage pony. You're riding him more like a hunter so of course people will think he'd be more like a hunter pony.

Sometimes I wonder if other people have horses that just move like upper level horses from the get-go and expect to see the same. But I know how much my horse has changed in his movement so when I look at your video I see that, ok right now he's quick and a little short but with some good work, slowing him down, allowing the hind leg to swing under I'd bet he'd look like a different pony.

Now if you're asking if he'd make one of those very fancy little european-style ponies... I'd probably sing a different tune. But I think he'd make someone a fun pony to learn on, go to some shows with etc. That's more than many people can say about their own horses so I think it's a lot just to be able to say that. And I think he could maybe do a good test some day but you have to feel it out I think.

Take this for what it's worth because I'm far from being an expert. I'm not an upper level rider or anything or trained horses up the levels or anything like that so keep that in mind when reading my post.

TKR
Mar. 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
Newly started horses can be a bit lateral as they adjust to the rider's weight and balance and try to balance themselves and adapt. The footing is also an issue. I don't think I'd judge him harshly from this video. He looks like a willing guy who will improve with muscling and balance -- you can't expect rhythm or straight lines or bending at this stage. Good luck!
PennyG