PDA

View Full Version : Ok, COTH...talk to me about KIEFFER Dressage Saddles...weigh in!!

HollysHobbies
Mar. 19, 2010, 10:46 PM
j

rizzodm
Mar. 19, 2010, 10:58 PM
I ride in a Kieffer Wien and love it! I do have a problem with keeping my leg under me but I think that is me not the saddle. I have ridden in one of the newer Kieffers (not sure of the model but I think it is the Lusitano) I did not care for it as much because the seat was much deeper than I liked. I have used this saddle on a QH, Warmblood/Arab, Appendix, and a Halflinger.

Dawn

BaroquePony
Mar. 19, 2010, 11:05 PM
They have quite a few models that you can order in either a deep or half-deep tree. I have never ridden in the deep ... their half-deep is deep by many standards.

They also have several trees. I forgot. I have several and am getting ready to order another.

Really like their basic simple tree, the one in the Aachen AP, which they also use in some of their dressage saddles.

CosMonster
Mar. 19, 2010, 11:45 PM
I've never ridden in a newer one...I think the newest I've ridden in was at least 7 or 8 years old. I own two, and the newer one is about 12 years old, the older one...well, it's ancient. ;) I absolutely adore them.

One of the benefits is that their trees are (or at least were) pretty easily adjustable. I've had them custom fit to a couple of horses and it was way cheaper than when I've had to tweak the trees of other saddles. I've also found that they fit at least tolerably well on a pretty wide variety of horses--and then you can tweak them to fit perfectly.

Both of mine, due to their age, have flatter seats. One is a Wien and I don't have a problem keeping my leg under me, for what that's worth. :) The older one, which I've never bother to find the model of, has a very flat seat, like you'd see on a lot of modern close contact saddles--not quite a pancake but pretty darn flat. In fact, I actually have ridden in a new close contact saddle that has a slightly deeper seat. :lol: I love it.

I don't know what size they are as I bought them used and just used the tack shop's measurement in inches. I find them very comfortable, but I have heard complaints of them being uncomfortable for some riders. The newer model I rode in had a much deeper seat but I still thought it was pretty comfortable.

Overall, Kieffers are one of my favorite brands, but again I've mostly ridden in older ones so I'm not sure how applicable this all is. I figured I'd post it in case you find it useful, though.

mbm
Mar. 20, 2010, 04:52 AM
for an off the rack saddle Kieffers are one of my faves.

currently i own:
Wein DL - this is a great "standard" dressage saddle, medium deep seat, minimal knees rolls, long billets - etc etc.

Munchen Dressage: this is an older style with a flatter seat, thinner knee blocks, shorter flap and short billets.

these saddles are great for shorter folks since the flaps are shorter. they are also a good deal and you can always find one for sale.

the one caveat: make sure that there is enough room in the channel for spine clearance

Bogey2
Mar. 20, 2010, 06:38 AM
The Kieffer Lusitano is the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever sat in.

LittleblackMorgan
Mar. 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
I rode in the Wein for a while. It was a 17.5 and I'm an 18 dressage, but it was super comfy considering. Kept me in a great position. I didnt think it was a crotch smasher at all...I'm 5'3 and the flaps were on the longish side for me. I believe I got a cool 2 inches of leg on the horse.